LeBreton - Cowboys fans’ only hope: boycott Owner Jones

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys fans’ only hope: boycott Owner Jones

Posted Tuesday, Dec. 17, 2013

By Gil LeBreton

glebreton@star-telegram.com

lebreton The more they lose, the more that Jerry Jones digs in his heels.

The angrier that fans of his Dallas Cowboys get, the more defiant Jerry seems to become.

And even when the hosts of Jerry’s weekly radio show on 105.3 The Fan dropped the A-bomb — A, as in apathy and attendance — on him Tuesday, Owner Jones refused to give in.

Fan apathy?

“Not with games like the other day,” Jones objected. “That’s a show, if you want to look at it that way.”

Most Cowboys fans, however, would rather not. Most saw the 37-36 loss to Green Bay for what it was — the darkest regular-season defeat of the Jones ownership era.

Fans want answers. They want somebody’s head on a stick, mostly Jerry’s.

Back Jones into a corner, though, and he always responds the same. He knows, he always says. He knew the risks of signing this guy or firing that one, as if that’s supposed to absolve him of self-guilt.

If you’re jumping off the Cowboys bandwagon, Jones had a ready reply for Tuesday’s radio audience — hang on. And in the meantime, don’t blame him.

“We spent more money on this ball team than anybody in the NFL did this year,” Jones said. “We have the leading, No. 1 spend on a football team right here. We let it all hang out.

“We’ve got players that, if you stack them up and talk to people around the league, are quality players who can win. Our coaches, Jason [Garrett], over the last six or seven years, he’s had experience that you can’t replicate.

“All of these things can kick in and make us a winning combination. I’ve been here before.”

I have no reason to doubt that Jerry really believes that. After all, he’s been looking in the mirror and saying it for 17 years.

Why isn’t he getting the message that he’s the one constant behind those 17 mostly mediocre years?

Because he doesn’t have to. Arlington voters helped to build him a new stadium. Customers pay their way into the stadium to watch Jerry’s team. And sponsors line up to link their names with the Cowboys’.

As long as that combination exists, Jones’ worst employee — General Manager Jones — isn’t going anywhere.

Here’s the depressing answer that he gave to the 105.3 The Fan crew Tuesday morning: “It’s often said, why don’t I get someone to be the GM, to pick the players? Well, who in the world do you think that person [is talking to], when they walk through the door and say, ‘We want to get this player and pay this player?’

“I’m going to sit down and say, ‘Show me the player. Show me everything about the player before I write the check.’

“But rather than have that happen, I get involved and know everything there is to know about that player before they ever get to the door. That’s a better way to do it.”

The rest of the league knows better, of course. They know Jerry wouldn’t know an impact player from a pizza pitchman.

In 1994, Jones’ first draft after Jimmy Johnson left, the Cowboys selected Shante Carver in the first round. High picks in succeeding years included Sherman Williams, Kavika Pittman, David LaFleur, Ebenezer Ekuban, Dwayne Goodrich and Quincy Carter.

Yet, Jones still thinks things this season “can kick in and make us a winning combination.”

[Insert screams here]

As long as Cowboys fans keep handing Jerry their money, there is no reason to think that he will hire a real GM. As long as fans keep buying Cowboys sponsors’ products, Jerry won’t budge.

You can blame Jason Garrett, if you want. You can blame the defense or Monte Kiffin or Tony Romo or Dez Bryant leaving early.

But save some of the blame for the suckers who keep buying tickets and who blindly patronize the Cowboys’ sponsors.

Drop an Apathy-bomb on Jerry. It might be the only thing he understands.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yup.

The rest is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Without at the very least a Parcells like franchise changer in here.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The problem is we have too many fans who are just happy to be a Cowboys fan so they'll gladly accept any product that Jerry throws out there.

That's why the smug SOB made those comments about fans not caring about wins because they are being entertained. That comment alone should be enough to anger the fan base into boycotting the week 17 game just to show him that winning does matter but our fans are too loyal to the brand and would never support a boycott.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We shouldn't have to keep saying this.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
“We spent more money on this ball team than anybody in the NFL did this year,” Jones said. “We have the leading, No. 1 spend on a football team right here. We let it all hang out.
I love how this idiot says that as if it's a positive.

He just opened himelf up to even more criticism but he's too stupid to realize it.

So he boasts that he's spent the most money on his team and this is the return he's getting on his investment?

That comment tells me the following:

1. You don't know what the hell you're doing because if you max out your credit card on possibly the worst defense in league history, you're failing as GM.

2. You can't draft worth a shit because if you could then you wouldn't have to overpay for aging vets and marginal talent.

3. Your selection of coaches and managerial skills are severely lacking if you've outspent the competition and still can't make the playoffs.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The problem is we have too many fans who are just happy to be a Cowboys fan so they'll gladly accept any product that Jerry throws out there.

That's why the smug SOB made those comments about fans not caring about wins because they are being entertained. That comment alone should be enough to anger the fan base into boycotting the week 17 game just to show him that winning does matter but our fans are too loyal to the brand and would never support a boycott.

Its gaining momentum, though. Listening to the local sports talk show the other day and heard this mentioned from a caller. At least its starting to spread to the casual fans. Even my cousins are starting to realize and they are Sooner fans.

Cotton

Staff member
Its gaining momentum, though. Listening to the local sports talk show the other day and heard this mentioned from a caller. At least its starting to spread to the casual fans. Even my cousins are starting to realize and they are Sooner fans.
Yeah, twitter blew up with talks of boycott yesterday. It was fun to watch.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Where can I find this on Twitter?
Search for #boycottjerry to start. But, if you search #cowboys there is a bunch there, too. You just have to hunt a little more.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Search for #boycottjerry to start. But, if you search #cowboys there is a bunch there, too. You just have to hunt a little more.
also #firegarrett and #jerryfirejerry

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

He just opened himelf up to even more criticism but he's too stupid to realize it.

So he boasts that he's spent the most money on his team and this is the return he's getting on his investment?

1. You don't know what the hell you're doing because if you max out your credit card on possibly the worst defense in league history, you're failing as GM.

2. You can't draft worth a shit because if you could then you wouldn't have to overpay for aging vets and marginal talent.

3. Your selection of coaches and managerial skills are severely lacking if you've outspent the competition and still can't make the playoffs.
Amen.

Cotton

Staff member
There is a BoycottJerry twitter account that is up to 125 followers in 3 days. Maybe it is catching fire a little bit.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
There is a BoycottJerry twitter account that is up to 125 followers in 3 days. Maybe it is catching fire a little bit.
125 people out of millions.

It's gotta start somewhere?

Cotton

Staff member
125 people out of millions.

It's gotta start somewhere?
Just making an observation. It could gain some momentum. Not that it could ever be enough. I think it would hurt Jerry more for the stands to be half empty than the loss of money, tbh.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

For him the bottom line is #1 valued franchise in USA, it's all about the benjamins, who gives a shit about winning games, that's all they are games

Top Bottom