Soccer Thread

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Hillsborough 30/30 was great, I didn't know one of the kids that died was Gerrard's cousin. Considering that they just re-opened the inquests I'm guessing Liverpool wins their first EPL title in nearly as long as it's been since Hillsborough happened, just seems like one of those fairytale stories that would occur.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Holy crap.

Last place Sunderland is trying to throw a wrench in everyone's title hopes.

On Wednesday, they managed to draw at City 2-2, and today, they beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, the league title is about 90% theirs.

Eat shit, Maureen! :laff

Carl

RIP Brother
The Hillsborough 30/30 was great, I didn't know one of the kids that died was Gerrard's cousin. Considering that they just re-opened the inquests I'm guessing Liverpool wins their first EPL title in nearly as long as it's been since Hillsborough happened, just seems like one of those fairytale stories that would occur.
Going to watch it tonight. Also, as a reminder there is a soccer themed one coming up every week now.

Carl

RIP Brother
Holy crap.

Last place Sunderland is trying to throw a wrench in everyone's title hopes.

On Wednesday, they managed to draw at City 2-2, and today, they beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

If Liverpool win tomorrow, the league title is about 90% theirs.

Eat shit, Maureen! :laff
Which Liverpool have done. Quality might be better in other leagues in Europe, but the EPL provides some serious drama every week.

Also, really looking forward to CL semis this week, especially Wednesday.

Carl

RIP Brother
Just finished watching. A difficult watch to be sure. But as suspected, Liverpool fans don't accept any responsibility and ESPN shied away. What about Heysel five years earlier. Look that up. No blame then either? Liverpool fans are really difficult to deal with. They played their part in this unfortunate day.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just finished watching. A difficult watch to be sure. But as suspected, Liverpool fans don't accept any responsibility and ESPN shied away. What about Heysel five years earlier. Look that up. No blame then either? Liverpool fans are really difficult to deal with. They played their part in this unfortunate day.
I don't know enough about this to take one side of the argument or the other, but it certainly looks to me based on the evidence shown that the main culprit for this tragedy was a lack of a plan by the new man in charge and the decision to open the gate and just allow everyone to flood on in.

Is there something they aren't telling us?

Carl

RIP Brother
I don't know enough about this to take one side of the argument or the other, but it certainly looks to me based on the evidence shown that the main culprit for this tragedy was a lack of a plan by the new man in charge and the decision to open the gate and just allow everyone to flood on in.

Is there something they aren't telling us?
The police get majority of the blame to be sure; but you can also blame the hooligan culture of the 80's in English football which led to a distrust between the police and fans. And that fact that Liverpool fans were notorious for bad behavior, turning up late without tickets and bull-rushing their way into grounds as kickoff was starting.

A horrible day all round though. The really sad part is that the fans who got to ground earliest were the ones who died.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The fans were idiots for sure, crowding in like that, but ultimately the blame/poor planning falls on the police, and the cover-up was the worst part of all.

Carl

RIP Brother
Surprised TA didnt beat me to this; maybe like me he hates stories like this...RIP Tito.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Surprised TA didnt beat me to this; maybe like me he hates stories like this...RIP Tito.
It's just sad.

Fucking piece of shit cancer.

I knew when it came back on him that it was just a matter of time before it took his life.

45 is way too young.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I hate Mourinho teams.

I know it's all about winning, but watching his teams is like watching soccer from the 1800's or something.

No intention whatsoever to attack, 30% possession, and like 2 or 3 shots for a whole game.

That was what he did today and what he did at Atletico.

This style of play does not deserve to win shit, so I really hope Atletico find a way to win and either Liverpool hang on or City overtake them in league play.

It's a disgrace to watch his team.

Carl

RIP Brother
I hate Mourinho teams.

I know it's all about winning, but watching his teams is like watching soccer from the 1800's or something.

No intention whatsoever to attack, 30% possession, and like 2 or 3 shots for a whole game.

That was what he did today and what he did at Atletico.

This style of play does not deserve to win shit, so I really hope Atletico find a way to win and either Liverpool hang on or City overtake them in league play.

It's a disgrace to watch his team.
And he got what he wanted from both games. If it was so easy to just sit behind the ball and occasionally counter, everyone could do it. But no. Mourinho's teams can do it better than anyone. He is a great tactician.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And he got what he wanted from both games. If it was so easy to just sit behind the ball and occasionally counter, everyone could do it. But no. Mourinho's teams can do it better than anyone. He is a great tactician.
Well, it's going to be like drinking poison, but I think I'm gonna have to pull for a Mourinho team.

:ballpunch

Being as Madrid are now a CL finalist, I need Chelsea to make it because they are the only ones with a real chance to stop them. I think Atletico are the better team between them and Chelsea, but as we talked about before, Mourinho's defensive tactics against superior teams have been excellent this season.

Atletico will eventually bend to Real, but Chelsea may just be able to pull out another defensive win thanks to Mourinho.

Because of that, I'll be reluctantly pulling for Mourinho and crossing my fingers that he beats Madrid.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, so long Mourinho. :lol

I did think they had the better chance, but I can't say I'm upset to see that asshole sent home! :towel

And while I did think they stood a better chance to beat Madrid, I may have to rethink that after what I saw today.

While a lot of us were practically crowning Real champions of the CL and wondering what's wrong with Bayern and thinking that Chelsea are the better opponent to stop Madrid in the final, maybe we need to stop and ask ourselves if this is going to be Atletico's special season?

It's easy to overlook them to a degree despite how good they've been because they maybe don't have the prestige nor the notoriety of the other clubs, but maybe we need to start considering that it is Atletico who are the ones destined for a magical season with their first ever double - CL and Liga.

I still think Real wins the final, but I do think Atletico are totally capable of beating them.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What an epic choke job by Liverpool today.

City was probably going to win it anyway, but this is a cruel, cruel way to go out.

Sucks for them.

Carl

RIP Brother
Well, you certainly got the last laugh on Mourinho this year; and he has been dour over the last couple of months.

We still have the Champions League Final to look forward to; I'd like Atletico to win; Simeone is interesting and changes the status quo; then its of to the WC. I can't wait.

dallen

Senior Tech
PES 2014 is free on playstation plus this month.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Well, you certainly got the last laugh on Mourinho this year; and he has been dour over the last couple of months.

We still have the Champions League Final to look forward to; I'd like Atletico to win; Simeone is interesting and changes the status quo; then its of to the WC. I can't wait.
Yes, it's nice to not see him win anything! :towel

But to be honest, he got more out of that team than most managers would have. They have no strikers to speak of whatsoever, and that is ultimately what doomed his team.

Amazingly enough, Atletico and Real have failed to cease their opportunities and have allowed Barcelona back into the La Liga race. If they win their final two games, they will be champions.

Being as Barcelona have failed to beat Atletico in 5 chances this season, I don't know how they're going to beat them in the season finale, but at least we'll have our chance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
PES 2014 is free on playstation plus this month.
Indeed!

This game used to be excellent, but it's fallen on hard times in recent years. It's not a bad game, but it's not a very good one either.

Still, even in its current state, it still does quite a few things better than Fifa. I'm still holding out hope that it can return to its former glory some day.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Man City are your new EPL champs.

They love to make things hard on themselves, but I don't think anyone can argue against them being England's best team.

The next step for them is to get into the late stages of the Champions League.

Also, Barcelona have more lives than a cat. Despite not really deserving it, they have a chance win the La Liga next week if they best Atletico in the Nou Camp.

I hope we can pull it out, but I have my doubts.

Top Bottom