DeMarcus Ware: Is it time?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
GEORGE JOSEPH
SCHWENKSVILLE, PA
I know the defense is a mess so no use going there. Where is the deep ball on offense?

Nick: I’m with you. But I really don’t think this team has players who can really stretch the defense. We don’t see a ton of speed at the receiver position. The fastest guy they had was Miles Austin and he seems like he’s lost that break-away speed. Dez is really good but not that fast. And we haven’t seen Terrance Williams consistently get deep. Dwayne Harris and Cole Beasley aren’t speedsters either. So they really lack that guy who can stretch the field. I think Jason Witten could use a guy like that to free up the middle.
I thought Williams was supposed to be that guy though.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I thought Williams was supposed to be that guy though.
He's faster than Bryant, but he still is not a burner. Dallas's lack of team speed was their #1A offseason problem offensively, #1 being the offensive line.

With the OL playing better, team speed has moved up to the #1 problem. In hindsight, can you imagine a 2008 draft of Chris Johnson and DeSean Jackson? Jackson would have been the perfect complement to Owens with Austin developing and Johnson would have been durable enough to prevent wear on Marion Barber.

Overall team speed that season would have been off the charts, and we'd still be fast today as Johnson wouldn't have gotten nearly the carries he was force-fed in Tennessee.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
He's faster than Bryant, but he still is not a burner. Dallas's lack of team speed was their #1A offseason problem offensively, #1 being the offensive line.

With the OL playing better, team speed has moved up to the #1 problem. In hindsight, can you imagine a 2008 draft of Chris Johnson and DeSean Jackson? Jackson would have been the perfect complement to Owens with Austin developing and Johnson would have been durable enough to prevent wear on Marion Barber.

Overall team speed that season would have been off the charts, and we'd still be fast today as Johnson wouldn't have gotten nearly the carries he was force-fed in Tennessee.
Ugh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DeMarcus Ware vows return to dominance

December, 12, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The dominant version of DeMarcus Ware is on the way.

“There is no doubt in my mind,” Ware said. “I know that for a fact.”

Ware, 31, readily admits that this has been a disappointing season for him. He certainly isn’t satisfied with having a career-low six sacks and no forced fumbles for a Dallas Cowboys group that ranks dead last in the league in total defense.

However, Ware has the utmost confidence that he’ll return to being one of the most productive pass-rushers in NFL history as the Cowboys fight for a playoff berth in the final few weeks of the regular season.

“What’s my name?” Ware said, prompting a response that confirmed that he’s still DeMarcus Ware. “All right. Ain’t nothing changed. I don't feel like nothing has changed.”

But his production and durability have undoubtedly been different this season, changing drastically for the worse.

Ware’s streak of 134 consecutive games played was snapped when he sat out three weeks due to a strained quadriceps. His streak of seven consecutive seasons with a double-digit sack total is in jeopardy.

“Get him healthy and get him ready to go,” coach Jason Garrett said. “And really focus on this challenge right here. Don’t worry about how we got to this point. Just get going. Put your hand on the ground and go affect the ballgame. He’ll do that this week.”

Added Ware: “There are no excuses. I just say get ready for it this week.”

Ware, whose 117 career sacks rank 18th in NFL history and are the most since he broke into the league in 2005, said he didn’t feel completely healthy until Monday’s loss to the Chicago Bears. He didn’t make an impact in that game, recording a sack during garbage time, but he left Soldier Field believing he was on the verge of breaking out again.

“I see a guy who is close,” Ware said, adding that he feels as strong, quick and explosive as ever.

Ware also hears a lot of the talk about the performances that have fallen far below his All-Pro standards. He agrees that the Cowboys need more from him, as has been stated by owner/general manager Jerry Jones and executive vice president Stephen Jones, among others.

However, Ware takes exception to the doubters who consider these disappointing few months as evidence that a steep decline has started for a probable future Hall of Famer.

“People can say what they want to say,” Ware said. “Tell them to get in front of me and see if they can block me. Then we’ll go from there.”

Unfortunately, Ware has to face NFL left tackles, not critics. He hasn’t won nearly enough of those matchups on the field this season.

That needs to change starting Sunday against the Green Bay Packers. You have Ware’s word that it will.

Top Bottom