One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We've still got games left, I say the record will be ours alone! :towel

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We've still got games left, I say the record will be ours alone! :towel
With as good as this team is at setting negative records, I know they'll find a way to do it before the season is over.

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Please, Rodgers.....find a way to play and put an end to this shit pile of a season.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Flynn will be productive, but he gives the Cowboys a shot to win.

Rodgers decimates this defense and makes this a laugher by half time.
I wouldn't rush Rodgers back for this game when they could get some Cheesehead out of the stands to throw for 250 against this group of losers.

Cotton

Staff member
Gameday: Packers Linebacker Crucial To Green Bay Tilt

Posted 25 minutes ago

Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

The Nemesis: DeMarcus Ware

There are teams over his career that DeMarcus Ware absolutely plays his best against. The Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants come to mind initially, but the Green Bay Packers should be mentioned with these two as well.

In four games against the Packers, Ware has 21 tackles, four sacks, one tackle for loss and eight quarterback pressures with one pass breakup. This week Ware will be lined up across from rookie tackle, David Bakhtiari, who has played well for the Packers this season, but that should not deter Ware.

These are the types of games where Ware tends to shine going against a young player at home. After what happened to this defense in Chicago, Monte Kiffin needs to have Ware at his very best to create problems for a Packers offense that will most likely be going with Matt Flynn at quarterback. Flynn tends to hold the ball longer than what you see with Aaron Rodgers. The Packers have allowed Bakhtiari to handle rushers on his own in the games I have been able to study.

I expect them to stick with that same plan, but this is where Ware needs to take advantage of that. In my view, this has been a tough season for Ware because of the standards that we have for him but one game against a team that he dominates can change all that.

The Weapon: Dez Bryant

In his short career, Dez Bryant has only faced the Packers one time and that was in 2010 with an eight catch, 86 yard game with one touchdown.
Like most of his teammates on Monday night, Bryant had an extremely quiet game. Dom Capers might decide to not allow Bryant to beat him in this game and double him the entire night with a safety over the top like he played Calvin Johnson two weeks back.

I do expect Capers to put Tramon Williams, his best corner, on Bryant to try and cover him that way as well. This will be an interesting matchup because Williams is a savvy veteran who has good cover skills and the ability to run with anyone on this Cowboys offense. Bryant will need to be ready for a physical game from the opening snap, and there is no doubt he will.

I also feel like Romo and Bryant will be able to take advantage of Williams’ aggressive style of play with some double moves up the field to get Williams off balance. The best matchup for Bryant this week will be if he can get some snaps against Sam Shields, who tends to struggle with receivers that work inside on him. On tape, he really struggles with power and as we all have seen, that is one of Bryant’s best traits.

Under The Radar: Sterling Moore

Jason Garrett and Monte Kiffin are looking for answers to try and help this defense play better. One of the adjustments that I believe they will make, and we saw it in the second half against Chicago, was to play Sterling Moore in the nickel at corner in place of B.W. Webb.

Garrett said on Thursday morning that Webb was playing like a “young guy” right now, and that they are looking at options to get the best players on the field. Moore was fine in the limited snaps that he was able to play in the game on Monday night and with his play on the outside, it will comfortably allow Orlando Scandrick to play inside on the slot, which is vital with Jordy Nelson playing there for the Packers.

Where I like Moore in this scheme, and I thought I saw this during the preseason and training camp, was how competitive he is. This defense needs cornerbacks that are willing to battle on the outside to deny the ball going to these receivers.

That’s what Sterling Moore gives you in coverage. He can also be that guy on the edge, when the ball gets to the outside, who will put himself in position to make the tackle and that is something that this defense has struggled with at times.
Green Bay Packers

The Nemesis: Jordy Nelson

I remember when Jordy Nelson first came into the league in 2008 out of Kansas State and ended up in Green Bay -- I thought that was the perfect spot for him to land. To me Nelson has always been one of those guys that played with a great deal of heart, grit and toughness.

The more difficult the situation, the more he showed up. I have always had a great deal of respect for the way he played. I have always said this about him: he is one of the best bad ball catchers that I have seen in this league. Where Nelson doesn’t get enough credit is as a route runner.

He plays with deceptive speed and fluid movement for a player his size. There is a reason that Mike McCarthy lines him up all over the place in the formation because he can handle any of those assignments. He can be difficult for a cornerback to have to deal with because of these traits.

He’s a physical player who is not afraid to put his shoulder down or use his hands to push off to buy himself separation. These Cowboys cornerbacks have to be ready for all kinds of routes, because he is not afraid to go anywhere on the field to handle the ball.

Has the ability to make contested catches, whether it is high or low -- it doesn’t matter. He will find ways to get the ball. It doesn’t matter who the quarterback is, he is the “Go-To” guy.

The Weapon: Clay Matthews

On a defense with several outstanding players, Clay Matthews is their best one in my view.

When you talk about guys who can turn a football game around in two or three plays, Matthews is that guy. One new development for Matthews is that he is now rushing off that right side instead of the left.

For the Cowboys, this is the best possible matchup because that is against Tyron Smith, who has been outstanding this season. When Smith faces Matthews, he will get a player that plays with relentless effort and passion. He is one of those players that never stops coming at you, but Smith knows all of this from their days together at USC.
Matthews has a wide range of pass rush moves and you never see him come with the same one. He plays with surprising leverage and power because there are snaps where you see him walk the tackle back into the backfield.

Where Matthews can also be relentless is in his effort to chase the run. If you don’t block him on the backside, he has the speed and quickness to run the ball carrier down. Smith’s athletic ability will give him the ability to match Matthews, but he is going to need to find a way to outwork him on each and every play because Matthews will not quit until he gets to the ball.

Under The Radar: Andrew Quarless

Of the several bad injuries around the NFL this season, the one to Packers tight end Jermichael Finley was as difficult as it came. Not only did the Packers lose a talented player, but there were questions about his career going forward, which is a shame.

In his place, the Packers have gone with former fifth round selection Andrew Quarless. Before Finley was injured, he had 25 receptions and three touchdowns. Quarless has since caught 23 passes and one touchdown to his credit.

What is interesting about Quarless is that he can do many of the same things in the scheme that Finley could do when it comes to where he lines up and how he gets down the field. Mike McCarthy will line him up inline, bunch formations or out wide, as a single receiver.

He is a 6-4, 252-pound player who runs in the low 4.7s, and you can see this in his game. Where there were questions about his game at Penn State was how consistent he was as a player, down after down.

Quarless has had some plays where he catches the ball very easily, then others where he doesn’t show the concentration or focus that he needs to always have. If the ball is coming behind him, he will struggle to get movement. I have seen him get buckled at the point, and he is a much better receiver than he is a blocker.

This is where Monte Kiffin and this Cowboys defense have to be aware of where he is in the formation, because Matt Flynn will look in his direction.

Cotton

Staff member
Justin Durant moves back into the lineup

December, 12, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- It's hard to determine if linebacker Justin Durant missed his third consecutive game with a hamstring injury because the coaches didn't believe he was ready to return or if he was a healthy scratch.

"You have to ask coach, ask coach about it," Durant said after Thursday's practice.

With weakside linebacker Bruce Carter nursing a hamstring injury, raising his availability for Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers in doubt, the Cowboys need Durant to return to the lineup.

Durant was signed in the offseason to become a veteran presence at strong side linebacker. But he's dealt with a groin injury, costing him one game and now a hamstring problem caused him to miss the past three contests.

"It's been a little bit disappointing for me, honestly," said Durant, who has 23 total tackles this season. "The two injuries I've had and I've been playing pretty good before I got hurt. I was just getting into my groove I felt like before the second time I got hurt, man. It's kinda disappointing. We're still in the hunt, right now and I'm back healthy and hopefully I can go out and contribute and help the team."

Durant has practiced at all three linebackers spots and should resume his normal spot at strong side, but with Carter out, Ernie Sims most likely will take over on the weakside. There's been a shortage of linebacker due to health reasons this season.

Sean Lee, DeVonte Holloman, Durant and Carter have endured injuries this season.

"Playing a little bit of everything, all of them," Durant said of the linebacker spots. "Kinda not sure what’s going on with Bruce, hope he will be back."

I'ts like a fucking carousel on our defense this year.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys are preparing for Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers still has not been medically cleared to return from a broken left collarbone, according to coach Mike McCarthy. But Rodgers had a limited practice Wednesday.

The Cowboys are preparing to face Rodgers… and Matt Flynn.

“We’ve got to go out there and prepare for both,” Cowboys defensive end George Selvie said. “Rodgers is a great quarterback. It’s a different offense with him out there, so you go out there and prepare for him. We’ve got to go out there and do what we do.”

Rodgers was injured in a Nov. 4 loss to the Bears, and the Packers have gone 1-4-1 since. Matt Flynn is with his third team this season, re-signing with the Packers on Nov. 12.

“You look at the scheme that they play with Aaron Rodgers, and the scheme that they play with Matt Flynn and see if there’s a lot of differences,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “You certainly have to prepare for both. Aaron’s obviously one of the best players in the league, and Matt has done a good job for them, so you try to watch as much tape of both of them, see if there’s some differences and evaluate as the week goes on to see if he’s going to be ready to play and then hone in a little bit more.”

Flynn has taken 12 sacks in three games with the Packers, which could bode well for a Dallas defense that hasn’t been good at affecting the quarterback of late. The Cowboys have one sack and 19 pressures the past two games combined.

Josh McCown threw for 348 yards and four touchdowns, throwing 36 times. He was sacked once, and the Cowboys' coaches found three additional pressures.

"We haven't affected the quarterback well enough," Garrett said. "He was too comfortable in the game, all through the game. He dropped back 36, 37 times in this game. We weren't around him enough. We didn't make him feel our presence in the pocket enough. We didn't get him off the spot enough, and it starts with affecting him. It starts winning on rushes. But certainly pressuring and using scheme to affect the quarterback is part of our packages like it is for anybody else around the league."

-- Charean Williams

Cotton

Staff member
Storied pasts loom over Cowboys, Packers
December, 13, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- As the Dallas Cowboys walk to the team meeting room every day, they are met with pictures of the team’s five Super Bowl winners. Each collage has a team photo and pictures of smiling players, coaches and executives from winning NFL championships.

At Lambeau Field, the photos from the great moments in Packers’ history line the wall from the tunnel to the locker room. When the stadium was renovated years ago they took a row of old bricks and moved it to the new tunnel so players can say they walk over the same ground as the greats who played at Lambeau Field.

A loss on Sunday and either team will need even more help to make the postseason.

Like the Pittsburgh Steelers and San Francisco 49ers, the Cowboys are constantly chasing ghosts from past teams.

The Packers and Cowboys have combined for 18 NFL championships (Green Bay 13, Dallas five) and nine Super Bowls (Green Bay four, Dallas five). They produced one of the NFL’s iconic games -- the Ice Bowl -- in the 1967 championship. They were coached by legends in Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi. They rekindled the rivalry in the 1990s, meeting in the playoffs from 1993-95.

The current teams carry something of a burden with them because of the successful pasts.

“We always look at it as a sense of pride and energy to tap into,” Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy said. “We think it’s very important to have that and recognize it and honor it, so I always refer to it as there’s pride in the bricks of Lambeau Field, and it’s something we need to tap into. We talk to our current team about it, and how important it is to win and represent the Green Bay Packers the right way.”

Jason Garrett does not talk about the expectations laid out from the likes of Roger Staubach, Bob Lilly, Tony Dorsett, Randy White, Mel Renfro, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman or Emmitt Smith. He talks about the standard those players and teams set.

“You want to be in a place where there’s a high standard for achievement,” Garrett said. “I think that’s a good thing. That brings the best out in people. What we try to do each and every day is be our best. Come to work as players and coaches and put our best foot forward, and get ready for our challenges each week and again, embrace the past. That’s a good thing ... That drives us. That’s part of what drives us to achieve, really, each and every day, and certainly each season.”

Tony Romo is constantly measured against Staubach and Aikman. Aaron Rodgers is measured against Bart Starr and Brett Favre, but he has the Super Bowl ring that Romo is still looking for, having beaten the Steelers at AT&T Stadium in Super Bowl XLV.

Rodgers has 23 teammates left on the current roster with a Super Bowl ring.

Romo hopes one day to have his own, so he and his teammates can have their own pictures on the wall with them holding the Lombardi Trophy.

“You want to be a part of a storied franchise,” Romo said. “It just makes it important. You want a challenge. You want it to matter, and you want it to be important. That’s what’s great about this organization, and great about our fans.”

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bears had a nice design there. Totally confused Leary, leaving Randle on an island with the middle pickup. And holy shit did Frederick get destroyed. Yikes.
Frederick got the defense's version of a wham block. Never saw it coming, a little like Free in the opener. By the time he reacts, the defender is charging at him with momentum.

Cotton

Staff member
[h=2]Mailbag: Can Dallas Handle Green Bay’s Ground Game?[/h]Posted 10 hours ago

JIM WHATLEY

HENDERSON, TX
With the defense putting so much importance on the pass rush against Green Bay, will they get slashed by the run?

Nick: I don’t think so. This team finds a way to respond, especially at home. We thought Oakland might thrash them on the ground and it was the opposite. I think the Cowboys find a way to turn it around. I wouldn’t expect Green Bay to get more than 75-100 yards on the ground as a team.

David: As of Thursday afternoon, Eddie Lacy has yet to participate in Packers’ practice. That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s out for the game, but it would be encouraging for the Cowboys if they didn’t have to face him. The other big factor is whether Sean Lee can play. If Lee is there to plug the holes, then I don’t think the Cowboys need to worry about giving up too much on the ground.

JOSH BACKMAN
BALTIMORE, MD
Is Barry Church seriously going to get voted into the Pro Bowl? I know it's often a good thing when you don't hear your DB's names called, but with how historically bad our pass defense has been, how can this possibly be justified?

Nick:The fans are voting for him. But he’s still got to get votes from players and coaches. Church is a really

good tackler and he’ll make some plays on the ball. I don’t know about the Pro Bowl. My gut says he doesn’t make it.

David: Not that it’s saying much given the numbers, but Church has been one of the most consistent players on the defense this year. I’m not sure he’s playing at a Pro Bowl level, especially considering that he’s competing with the likes of Earl Thomas, Ryan Clark, Jairus Byrd and Eric Reid. We’ll see how it shakes out when the players and coaches vote. I’d be pretty surprised if a starter in a secondary this leaky gets the nod.

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Frederick got the defense's version of a wham block. Never saw it coming, a little like Free in the opener. By the time he reacts, the defender is charging at him with momentum.
I don't agree with that. He might not have had much time to react, but really, when is there a lot of time to react? It looks like he saw him coming. His head was turned that way, and he was sliding in that direction. When he initially turned his head, his left foot was still on the hashmarks and he was in front of the 30yd line. He slides to his right and is a yard off the hash and behind the 30 when contact is made. He saw him coming.

Cotton

Staff member
I didn't know where else to put this, but thought it was funny.

Top Bottom