2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Joe Paw knew in 1976? Is this true [MENTION=30]2233boys[/MENTION]? Will you finally blaspheme the name of Paterno?

http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/05/court_filing_says_joe_paterno.html
Not sure, that's F'ed up if it is true. From what I heard on news it was something from the insurance company.

I was all in on Joe being fired years before Jerry Scandal, so in PSU fan terms I'm already a heretic.

I was done with him before he shat his pants on the sidelines. Around 2003/04 EZ was chastising me about it.

In terms of this issue, yeah I'm done. You can't defend that.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
UConn Aims To Be Piece Of Big 12 Expansion Puzzle

As football coaches and athletic directors gathered in Phoenix last week, the leaders of the Big 12 were pondering the conference's future.

Should the league add members, split into two divisions and create a football title game? Should the conference expand its geographic footprint and create a TV network? And, if expansion is the answer, where does the Texas-based league look for new members?

One thing seems certain — the 10-member Big 12 must do something to keep pace with other revenue-rich Power Five conferences.

And as the league considered its next steps during the meetings in Arizona, the decisions could have a profound impact on a campus 2,500 miles away.

UConn is very much in the mix as the Big 12 considers expansion. After being on the sidelines during the last rounds of conference realignment, UConn might have yet another opportunity to join a Power Five conference.

That's why the next two months could be critical for the school. The Big 12 presidents and athletic directors will meet in Irving, Texas, May 31 to June 3 as the league moves closer to a decision on its future. Commissioner Bob Bowlsby said this week that the conference committee that studies expansion will hold two conference calls this month and the board of governors will hold another.

When the Big 12 finishes its meetings on June 3, there could be some indication of whether expansion is pending. Certainly, a signal of the future should come this summer.

"Once I think we see all the pieces of the puzzle, we need to make some decisions," Bowlsby said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "There isn't any sense in having them linger on any longer than necessary."

Besides revenue, the Big 12 is concerned with remaining competitive in the College Football Playoff format. Holding a playoff game would enhance members' chances of securing one of four slots in the playoffs and the conference could stage a title game without expanding.

But research presented to members last week shows that a 12-team league playing an eight-game conference schedule and a title game would offer the conference the best opportunity to land a team in the playoffs, increasing the league's chances by 10 to 15 percent.

The data was presented by Chicago-based Navigate Research, which ran 40,000 simulations and used 10 years of data. Navigate will reportedly make a presentation to the conference presidents at the next round of meetings, when TV consultant Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures will also offer its finding.

That's when UConn could emerge as a favorite in expansion talks. The Big 12 is considering a TV network and UConn would be an entry into some large markets well outside of the conference's traditional footprint. The Hartford-New Haven market is 30th in the country, but the market is 20th with Fairfield County added.

Beyond the state, UConn could offer a Big 12 network entry into New York and Boston. The school has a large number of alumni in both markets.

Other candidates include Cincinnati (36th largest market), Brigham Young (36th) and Memphis (50th). Other possibilities: Houston (10th), South Florida (11th, Tampa-St. Petersburg), Colorado State (17th, Denver) and UCF (19th, Orlando).

UConn's connection to New York — promoted by the school on a billboard at the Lincoln Tunnel — might be the school's best pitch to join the decidedly Southern conference. Fellow American Athletic Conference members Cincinnati and Memphis have gone public in their lobbying to the Big 12 while UConn officials have privately said the school is taking a more low-key approach.

But the Big 12 decision-makers know what UConn offers.

"They know who we are and what we are," one UConn official said. "They have all our stats. They know more about us than we know about us and they have consultants updating that."

Bevilacqua Helfant Ventures is led by Chris Bevilacqua, a long-time TV sports consultant who founded College Sports Television. With the Atlantic Coast Conference reportedly on the verge of creating its own network and the Big Ten securing a $250 million media rights deal with Fox, Big 12 officials may see a conference network as a way to keep pace financially with other conferences.

The sticking point: Texas has the Longhorn Network, which was born out of a 20-year, $295 million partnership with ESPN in 2010. Texas is reportedly opposed to the formation of a Big 12 network or of converting the Longhorn Network to a conference-focused channel.

Conference bylaws require a 75 percent (eight schools) vote in order to make a significant changes such as expansion. It has been reported that Oklahoma and West Virginia are proponents of a expansion, leading a bloc of seven schools that favor a move.

Texas, Texas Tech and Texas Christian reportedly have resisted expansion.

"I can't say I've got an open mind on any of these issues," interim Texas athletic director Mike Perrin told reporters at the meetings this week. "I've got an open mind on receiving information."

The expansion committee consists of three presidents — David Boren of Oklahoma, Gordon Gee of West Virginia and Ken Starr of Baylor. Boren has been the most vocal in favor of expansion, while Gee, the former Ohio State president, is said to seek a travel partner for West Virginia.

Cincinnati would seem an ideal fit for West Virginia's needs. BYU, with a traditionally strong football program and a national presence, might appeal to the football-centric conference.

But UConn offers a strong academic profile and strong basketball programs. The women's program could form rivalries with Baylor and Oklahoma, while the men would join a conference that includes Kansas, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Iowa State.

Meanwhile, UConn could have another option. With the ACC reportedly close to launching its own network with ESPN, Notre Dame could become a full member of the conference. If Notre Dame adds its football program to the ACC, the league will need another school to even its divisions.

Could that be UConn's opportunity?

For now, all eyes on the heart of Texas.

"If we do nothing, we'll be substantially behind a decade from now," Bowlsby said.

[MENTION=12]Deuce[/MENTION] it looks like expansion is inevitable. I'm not excited about the prospects at all. Texas is such a jerk.

I'll take UConn, Cinci and the two Florida schools to get to 14 I suppose. I don't like it but staying pat is not gonna work.

D

Deuce

I honestly don't see them going to 14 and depleting their individual shares that much. They will cap it at 12 and I can see it being UCF and Cincy as the choices. UConn offers nothing but basketball and team complaining about travel distances wil hate them.

Of course, none of this would be still up for debate if TT and TCU weren't waiting on UT to tell them how to vote.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I honestly don't see them going to 14 and depleting their individual shares that much. They will cap it at 12 and I can see it being UCF and Cincy as the choices. UConn offers nothing but basketball and team complaining about travel distances wil hate them.

Of course, none of this would be still up for debate if TT and TCU weren't waiting on UT to tell them how to vote.
UConn offers a nice TV market.

UCF does too but does anyone watch the games in Orlando?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Fuck UT. God, they are going to destroy this conference.

D

Deuce

UConn offers a nice TV market.

UCF does too but does anyone watch the games in Orlando?
UConn doesn't really. UConn people are trying to push that they can carry part of NY, but they don't. They offer Conn, Vermont and part of Mass. Not too much. NY is dominated by Cuse and Rutgers which is why they were gobbled up first in expansion.

TV Market is also why FL is looked at first. Unlike the rest of the options, not only is our market the biggest, but it's also the only market that continues to grow. The rest are either stagnate or starting to decline.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If U. Conn came to the Big 12 I think the folks in and around the area would expand the market area. I think New Yorkers and New Englanders would tune in to support their area school much like the Texas, Missouri and Arkansas gravitated to the SEC.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
UConn doesn't really. UConn people are trying to push that they can carry part of NY, but they don't. They offer Conn, Vermont and part of Mass. Not too much. NY is dominated by Cuse and Rutgers which is why they were gobbled up first in expansion.

TV Market is also why FL is looked at first. Unlike the rest of the options, not only is our market the biggest, but it's also the only market that continues to grow. The rest are either stagnate or starting to decline.
Damn the Big 12 sucks so bad. I don't understand why you want to come be UT's bitch like the rest of us. They frickin ruined this deal so bad.

Cinci and BYU and call it a day. Still, I don't really like the teams at all.

D

Deuce

If U. Conn came to the Big 12 I think the folks in and around the area would expand the market area. I think New Yorkers and New Englanders would tune in to support their area school much like the Texas, Missouri and Arkansas gravitated to the SEC.
You don't know the Northeast. They are a vast majority pro sports area and support very little in terms of college. The one school that gets any real support is Cuse hoops and that's about it. If you read any of the local papers up there, you'll actually see very little about expansion because they just don't care. Majority of stuff I read is how they want to go back into the Big East just for basketball purposes unless an invite to the ACC somehow comes through.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Damn the Big 12 sucks so bad. I don't understand why you want to come be UT's bitch like the rest of us. They frickin ruined this deal so bad.

BIG 12 sucks? How? You surely don't mean competing?

D

Deuce

We want to come because we want the paycheck and a realistic shot at catching lightning in a bottle again and making a run. As great as our Fiesta Bowl season was, it was as far as that team could possibly go being from the AAC. Had it happened again and had a Big12 patch on it's jersey, it could have been playoff bound.

And if being UT's bitch is what it takes to make it happen, we'll gladly bend over for Bevo just like anyone else in our position would.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
We want to come because we want the paycheck and a realistic shot at catching lightning in a bottle again and making a run. As great as our Fiesta Bowl season was, it was as far as that team could possibly go being from the AAC. Had it happened again and had a Big12 patch on it's jersey, it could have been playoff bound.

And if being UT's bitch is what it takes to make it happen, we'll gladly bend over for Bevo just like anyone else in our position would.
Being a whore isn't so bad, is it?

^5

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
You don't know the Northeast. They are a vast majority pro sports area and support very little in terms of college. The one school that gets any real support is Cuse hoops and that's about it. If you read any of the local papers up there, you'll actually see very little about expansion because they just don't care. Majority of stuff I read is how they want to go back into the Big East just for basketball purposes unless an invite to the ACC somehow comes through.
Maybe so but the Eastern Media holds a lot of sway and its possible they would take an interest in U Conn if they went with the BIG 12.

D

Deuce

Being a whore isn't so bad, is it?

^5
Well, for us it would be just a necessary evil to get in. I assume TCU is still serving the lapdog role as a thank you for getting themselves a golden ticket.

But TT has been in the big boys club since when? The 60's? I would think you guys could make up your own damn minds by now.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
BIG 12 sucks? How? You surely don't mean competing?
The Big 12 is unstable. We are a one team conference right now. I simply cannot understate how much UT has don't to weaken us. Losing aTm, Colorado, Mizzu and Nebraska was very very big. Adding TCU did nothing for the conference...lose aTm and gain TCU? Terrible trade off. Nebraska is obviously a big brand with tons of support.

Gaining TCU and WVU (who is 1,000,000 miles away from everyone else) is a bummer. Tell me, why would Nebraska and aTm leave if UT wasn't constantly throwing their weight around. The Aggots are weird and all but they just got tired of the crap.

Not having a championship game, not having a conference network (UT owns it), not having expansion partners, watered down league and what else? There is plenty but that is enough. I mean, we are looking at taking leftovers and nomads right now. Does Cinci, UConn or the Florida teams excite you? We are screwed in the unstable conference.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Well, for us it would be just a necessary evil to get in. I assume TCU is still serving the lapdog role as a thank you for getting themselves a golden ticket.

But TT has been in the big boys club since when? The 60's? I would think you guys could make up your own damn minds by now.
You stay in the way you get in. Bring some lube.

Heh, you don't get it. Please lay out a comprehensive plan for us here (be sure to include the consideration of Texas politics) and I'll review it and send it up to my good buddy Hance. Right [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] ?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You stay in the way you get in. Bring some lube.

Heh, you don't get it. Please lay out a comprehensive plan for us here (be sure to include the consideration of Texas politics) and I'll review it and send it up to my good buddy Hance. Right [MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] ?
Hance is now just Emeritus. He has no time for football folly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom