2016 Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you're right. I really hope that you're right. The fact that we've drafted a total of 3 QBs since 2001 doesn't exactly give me much hope.
This draft will make or break on Jaylon's health. If he is healthy this is an awesome draft. If he isn't the draft has the risk of being very average to below average. I mean if you get 2 all pros in a draft and a starter or two that has to push all time great drafts right? I think at least Collins or Tapper becomes a solid start. One of the late guys could hit too. But they may all miss. You just never know.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2636931-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-the-super-duper-drafty-edition

6. Scout: Best value pick in draft was Charles Tapper

The Cowboys selected Oklahoma's Charles Tapper in the fourth round. One NFC scout told me he believes that pick was one of the best in the draft.

Why? He's 6'3" and 271 pounds and runs a 4.59 40-yard dash.

What scared some teams, this scout explained, was that Tapper has the sickle cell trait. It's considered relatively minor, presenting a problem mostly in conditions such as high altitudes. The Cowboys don't play in Denver this season, and the NFL hasn't placed a franchise on Mount Kilimanjaro, so he'll be just fine.
I have a good feeling about this pick. It isn't that I expect him to turn into a star but I think he has a pretty good chance to out produce his draft slot. Seems like the kind of player that will play well enough to earn a decent second contract.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have a good feeling about this pick. It isn't that I expect him to turn into a star but I think he has a pretty good chance to out produce his draft slot. Seems like the kind of player that will play well enough to earn a decent second contract.
His speed jumped off the screen. I was looking at him and Ogbah...and I came away more impressed with Tapper. He did not have the same production, but his athleticism is very apparent.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Collins is someone I had a chance to follow a bit. I was not breaking tape or anything, but the fans here in Neb don't homer out...they support their players, but they are honest about the Huskers. They had thoughts of him being the next Suh...he never was close to that, but he has crazy talent. We all kind of sit back and want Marinelli to wave his magic wand...this is the kind of player he could take from a depth guy, to a possible impact DT.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I remember ou posting the exact same thing about Hackenberg 2 years ago. Hope this kid works out better.
Yea and he may well have been a top 10 pick if they hadn't hired dickhead Franklin who stunted his development and their offense in general.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is Charles Tapper really that much different than say a Kony Ealy coming out?

I don't think so.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Kiper gave us a C.
That's because Kiper's mouth has been so firmly entrenched on Bosa's cock that he probably penalized us for not trading up for him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope you're right. I really hope that you're right. The fact that we've drafted a total of 3 QBs since 2001 doesn't exactly give me much hope.
That's because Kiper's mouth has been so firmly entrenched on Bosa's cock that he probably penalized us for not trading up for him.
No Kiper is just a need whore and he doesn't believe in first round RBs becauses its too easy to get them later. So we didn't take a corner high enough and instead took a RB.

D

Deuce

He's a Ravens homer and is mad we didn't trade down with them so they could get Zeke.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
No Kiper is just a need whore and he doesn't believe in first round RBs becauses its too easy to get them later. So we didn't take a corner high enough and instead took a RB.
couldnt agree more with this. Listen, the guy knows what he is talking about but hes all about "value" to his board. He simply doesn't like taking a running back early in the draft, which is fine but I don't care what he says - loved the pick.

I'm curious to see what he said about Todd Gurley when he was drafted last year and even Trent Richardson

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
couldnt agree more with this. Listen, the guy knows what he is talking about but hes all about "value" to his board. He simply doesn't like taking a running back early in the draft, which is fine but I don't care what he says - loved the pick.

I'm curious to see what he said about Todd Gurley when he was drafted last year and even Trent Richardson
St. Louis Rams: C

Top needs: OL, WR, CB, QB

This was a fascinating draft class, but one that I thought had several reaches on value and didn't address a pair of needs. I don't know if there was a more deliberate approach to improving a single area of a team. The Rams want to be better running the football, which should help take pressure off a passing game we can't expect to be special, and they seemed to emphasize that goal with every pick. Todd Gurley is a special talent and the best running back available in the draft. I don't dislike the value as much as I typically would -- I've said 1,000 times I don't think taking RBs in Round 1 is a good strategy -- because the Rams have the roster to start winning now, and because a star QB isn't walking through that door, they had to go with the run game. If Gurley gets hurt again, it looks terrible; if he's a stud in 2015, it looks great. It's that simple. In Round 2, Robert Havenstein was a blocker I thought would be available into Round 3, and the same goes for Jamon Brown in Round 3. After drafting a depth/developmental addition at QB in Sean Mannion, the Rams again went for another offensive lineman in Andrew Donnal. For me, the big question is whether all this investment up front leads to a better running game right away and why they didn't add a WR aside from Bud Sasser. After so many quality picks in recent years, it's time to win in St. Louis.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'd say most of the "C" and "D" grades are right. I really like the Zeke pick, but the mindset of the organization was any RB could be successful behind that OL. And McFadden did kinda prove that.

I would have liked to have seen a trade down (wasn't a Ramsey fan) and load up on D.

I think Tapper will be good, but he's not the stud the defense needs to start to take that next step.

And that is the crux...yeah we picked up a dynamic RB, but this draft didn't really address the major weaknesses this team has had for 3-4 seasons...covering people, and getting the QB on the ground.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd say most of the "C" and "D" grades are right. I really like the Zeke pick, but the mindset of the organization was any RB could be successful behind that OL. And McFadden did kinda prove that.

I would have liked to have seen a trade down (wasn't a Ramsey fan) and load up on D.

I think Tapper will be good, but he's not the stud the defense needs to start to take that next step.

And that is the crux...yeah we picked up a dynamic RB, but this draft didn't really address the major weaknesses this team has had for 3-4 seasons...covering people, and getting the QB on the ground.
The one pick I didn't have any use for was the typical injured LB pick. Too much DL talent there to waste a pick on a "redshirt" player.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The one pick I didn't have any use for was the typical injured LB pick. Too much DL talent there to waste a pick on a "redshirt" player.
I agree. I'm sure Smith looks like a steal if he gets better (big if) but if you are trying to win now, then shouldn't you draft players who can contribute...ya know...now?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I agree. I'm sure Smith looks like a steal if he gets better (big if) but if you are trying to win now, then shouldn't you draft players who can contribute...ya know...now?
I also would have preferred not to burn a pick on the worst QB in the draft, but what are you going to do?

GShock

DCC 4Life
I would have agreed with this had Ogbah and Dodd not gone right before us. After that, for the second round? Meh.

I like this draft, and embrace the hate on the draft grades about RBs in round 1. I am inordinately positive about the Tapper pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I also would have preferred not to burn a pick on the worst QB in the draft, but what are you going to do?
You really think he was the worst QB in the draft? I wasn't a fan but I don't think he was the worst. I think he's better than Kessler, and he went in the 3rd.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I would have agreed with this had Ogbah and Dodd not gone right before us. After that, for the second round? Meh.

I like this draft, and embrace the hate on the draft grades about RBs in round 1. I am inordinately positive about the Tapper pick.
I would have been a lot happier with Robinson there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom