2015 NFL Draft Chatter Thread 4/30-5/2

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Every publication also says Ajayi is a 2nd round talent. 32 teams must be wrong.
No, the publications just didn't have the information.

That's part of the game. NFL teams have that, they can insulate what they know and spin it.

There are countless clips right now of every team being elated on phone calls with their choices and it all sounds great. Then when a good chunk of these guys fail about as bad as monkeys throwing darts at a board, they deserve the benefit of the doubt?

But yeah, they must be wrong, because as you know, GMs never get fired and stuff.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Clemmings could have come in and started immediately. Free be damned.
You'd think a guy that would come in and start immediately would have been picked in the first round. Or even the 2nd. Or the third, for sure...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
We will not move on. This is a message board where people, you know, like discuss things and stuff. Top two need going into the draft and we didn't draft a single thing to fulfill that need. It's worth talking about.
Drafting for need is stupid.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think you're hung up on the 'swing' title. No tackle was going to come in and start immediately. So what else were they supposed to do but be the swing tackle for a year or two, and hopefully take over the starting job then?

I could see it if he was looked at as a career backup, but it's been said numerous times that he'll be groomed to take over a starting spot when the time comes.
Well, they definitely took a guy who has position flex over what I think we all agree was a more talented tackle in Clemmings.

So that was not a great move.

Still.... the bitching about Ajayi is need-based griping. So if we had taken Clemmings everyone would be ok with not getting a RB?

So let's stop saying this is about "not doing anything to address RB." This is about people thinking Green was a reach.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Drafting for need is stupid.
We did that the entire draft. What's stupid isn't drafting for need, it's reaching for need. I think we drafted well in some instances and reached some in others. But every pick we made was for need.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sometime you need to draft for need. The best example currently is Dallas and the RB position. They need a RB and refused to pick one up. To say Dallas didnt need to draft one would be calling the majority of the pundits and the members of this site stupid.

D

Deuce

Sometime you need to draft for need. The best example currently is Dallas and the RB position. They need a RB and refused to pick one up. To say Dallas didnt need to draft one would be calling the majority of the pundits and the members of this site stupid.
They refused now? Tell me when they were supposed to grab one and who? Everytime I revisit the draft results, I see no RB that represents good value at each of our picks compared to other players. Gregory was far and away a better value (and need) in the 2nd. Want to hate Chaz in the 3rd? Fine. Doesn't mean a RB is the best value there either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

:unsure

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They refused now? Tell me when they were supposed to grab one and who? Everytime I revisit the draft results, I see no RB that represents good value at each of our picks compared to other players. Gregory was far and away a better value (and need) in the 2nd. Want to hate Chaz in the 3rd? Fine. Doesn't mean a RB is the best value there either.
Yes refused. It seems apparent Dallas was not going to draft a RB. Had they wanted one in the upper tier they would have worked a trade to get one. It's been pretty well established by mamagement and coaching that they were comfortable with the current group.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

This is code for...We. Are. Fucked.

D

Deuce

Yes refused. It seems apparent Dallas was not going to draft a RB. Had they wanted one in the upper tier they would have worked a trade to get one. It's been pretty well established by mamagement and coaching that they were comfortable with the current group.
Bogus. Nothing about how the draft went down speaks to their intentions of not taking a RB. A gift landed in their lap in the 2nd round and that threw off any plans going forward. My guess is if Gregory was taken earlier, we're looking at Duke or Coleman in the 2nd round and half the bitching around here wouldn't exist. Instead, we got a more impactful player and then the options dried up by the time the next pick came around. Sure, I guess we could have traded up in the 3rd to secure a RB but who says we didn't try? I guess we could have offered up next years 1st to move up and get one but we aren't that stupid.

D

Deuce

This is code for...We. Are. Fucked.
If Jerry can do one thing, it's attempt to positively spin a turd.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Bogus. Nothing about how the draft went down speaks to their intentions of not taking a RB. A gift landed in their lap in the 2nd round and that threw off any plans going forward. My guess is if Gregory was taken earlier, we're looking at Duke or Coleman in the 2nd round and half the bitching around here wouldn't exist. Instead, we got a more impactful player and then the options dried up by the time the next pick came around. Sure, I guess we could have traded up in the 3rd to secure a RB but who says we didn't try? I guess we could have offered up next years 1st to move up and get one but we aren't that stupid.
You don't see any new Running backs do you?

D

Deuce

You don't see any new Running backs do you?
Are you really this daft? We took what the draft presented to us. That wasn't a RB. Doesn't mean we never had intentions or that we are happy with what we have. Hell, I would think Stephen Jones' comments after the draft regarding the position are way more telling that the draft results themselves.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Are you really this daft? We took what the draft presented to us. That wasn't a RB. Doesn't mean we never had intentions or that we are happy with what we have. Hell, I would think Stephen Jones' comments after the draft regarding the position are way more telling that the draft results themselves.
There were several running backs. The organization simply didn't do anything to get one. How many drafts have you observed that Jones has worked deals to get players he wanted. He just didn't make any moves in this draft because there is no indication he was going after a RB. The organiztion was comfortable with the status quo after obtaining McFadden. I am obviously more aware than you evidenced by the teams actions so who is daft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is not Deuce. This is a pod person.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
we're looking at Duke or Coleman in the 2nd round and half the bitching around here wouldn't exist.
Well to be fair if we drafted either of those Booze would make up for the lost half himself.

:unsure :tippytoe

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We HAD to take Gregory in the 2nd. It was a no brainer. And as a consequence it was harder to get a RB. I get that.

But they painted themselves in a corner by not taking RB seriously enough in free agency. It meant we needed to come away from the draft with one. There were still things they could have done to make it happen. But it wasn't important enough to them, and that's what is bothering me. Because I can't imagine them competing for a super bowl without one.

With the off-season taken as a whole, their handling of the RB position has been a major failure.

Put someone like Peterson on this team and they are as good as anyone.

Top Bottom