Archer: Mel Kiper sees Todd Gurley as Cowboys best 'fit'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mel Kiper sees Todd Gurley as Cowboys best 'fit'

By Todd Archer | March 26, 2015 12:00:59 PM PDT

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL draft is five weeks away and the Dallas Cowboys’ needs are certainly obvious, even with what they have done in free agency.

In no particular order, they need running back, defensive line, cornerback, linebacker and offensive line help.

In his recent ESPN Insider column, Mel Kiper Jr. has offered up his best “fits” for teams and came up with Georgia running back Todd Gurley to Dallas. He wrote:

The fit: Dallas is going to have one of the best run-blocking lines in the NFL next season, if not the best. The Cowboys don't need a dancer, they need a player who will get downhill fast and turn a crease into a big run because he's so hard to get to the ground when he hits the second level. Gurley can do that. Dallas added Darren McFadden, but they won't be done at this position.

To me, it all comes down to Gurley’s knee. If it checks out fine, then I can see the Cowboys going in this direction. The only pause I would have is when would he be on the field his rookie year? It’s possible he starts the season on the non-football injury list, and that could cost him the first six games of the season. (It wouldn’t be the physically unable to perform list because he was hurt in college. Bruce Carter was on NFI his rookie year.)

I don’t think there should be such a narrow-minded view of six games compared to a potential five-year run with a player, but it would make me take pause.

Gurley is the best running back in the draft. He is electrifying. He can hit the home runs, but I think he can make those “dirty” runs Jason Garrett talks about. But with the Cowboys offensive line, would it make more sense to go with a higher need in the first round -- and yes, I realize people will hate seeing “need” thrown around, but I’m of the belief it has to be factored in when taking a player at any position -- and get a runner in the second or third round?

Soon the Cowboys will be kicking around these very thoughts with their front office, scouts and coaches together locked in a room.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If his knee tests out then I'd be OK with it. But he still isn't able to run and I don't know if we want to basically forfeit his rookie year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If his knee tests out then I'd be OK with it. But he still isn't able to run and I don't know if we want to basically forfeit his rookie year.
Honestly, we don't have the luxury of taking a redshirt guy in the first round.

I am sure he will play at some point in 2015, but this is what bugs me.

I know some think he is a Peterson type talent, but I still do not like the idea of spending a first on him.

data

Forbes #1
so what does kiper do now? no blue bible. just espn insider and that's it?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Honestly, we don't have the luxury of taking a redshirt guy in the first round.

I am sure he will play at some point in 2015, but this is what bugs me.

I know some think he is a Peterson type talent, but I still do not like the idea of spending a first on him.
Yeah, especially with a deep RB draft, not to mention these guys are replaceable after 4-5 years. Can't give up a season, or most of it, on a back who isn't ready. On top of it Romo isn't getting any younger and if there's any hope we win while he's still around we need more than McFadden/Randle/etc this year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
so what does kiper do now? no blue bible. just espn insider and that's it?
He's a sad sack of corporate ESPN shit anymore. I miss the old Mel.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
I think I prefer Coleman too. Coleman/Ajayi over Gordon/Gurley. This should allow us to draft a DL in the first if one is available

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll take Ajayi, tyvm.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The draft is so deep in RBs that a fine one can be had in the 2nd.

But if our board like the Jay-Train, then history shows he will be long gone by pick 60.

Another question: What if Melvin Gordon falls to 27? Does the lack of receiving/pass-blocking experience knock him down on our board? Even still, 27 is well below where he has been projected.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The draft is so deep in RBs that a fine one can be had in the 2nd.

But if our board like the Jay-Train, then history shows he will be long gone by pick 60.

Another question: What if Melvin Gordon falls to 27? Does the lack of receiving/pass-blocking experience knock him down on our board? Even still, 27 is well below where he has been projected.
We are bringing him to Valley Ranch for a visit so I'm guessing we are interested, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was the pick at 27.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are bringing him to Valley Ranch for a visit so I'm guessing we are interested, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was the pick at 27.
I think it's fair to say the Cowboys like Ajayi, Gurley, Gordon, Colemen and Abdullah. I think all 5 guys are coming in for a pre draft visit. I'd be thrilled seeing any of those guys starting next year. It's just a matter of the cost.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's fair to say the Cowboys like Ajayi, Gurley, Gordon, Colemen and Abdullah. I think all 5 guys are coming in for a pre draft visit. I'd be thrilled seeing any of those guys starting next year. It's just a matter of the cost.
I think this move precludes any sentiment for Petersen at the Cowboys locker room.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this move precludes any sentiment for Petersen at the Cowboys locker room.
I honestly don't think there is any possible way that Paterson will come to the Cowboys. Not since Stephen came out publicly talking about the correlation of age and drop in production of RBs. Not since we refused to pay Murray big dollars. Not when you look at our predraft visits. Not now that we have brought in Hardy and the PR difficulty with that.

There is no way we bring in Peterson. I'm not sure why anyone is even discussing it at this point.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I honestly don't think there is any possible way that Paterson will come to the Cowboys. Not since Stephen came out publicly talking about the correlation of age and drop in production of RBs. Not since we refused to pay Murray big dollars. Not when you look at our predraft visits. Not now that we have brought in Hardy and the PR difficulty with that.

There is no way we bring in Peterson. I'm not sure why anyone is even discussing it at this point.
Nor do I but some are still apparenty holding out.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Adding Peterson's talent is awfully tempting. But all things considered, I'd rather pass and go with one of the rookies. The combination of money, possible draft pick(s) loss, his age, and probable backlash make it too much for me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Adding Peterson's talent is awfully tempting. But all things considered, I'd rather pass and go with one of the rookies. The combination of money, possible draft pick(s) loss, his age, and probable backlash make it too much for me.
I agree, except if one or two of those things change. Like a much smaller contract and/or he gets cut or they accept a late rounder for him. Which is very unlikely.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, except if one or two of those things change. Like a much smaller contract and/or he gets cut or they accept a late rounder for him. Which is very unlikely.
The only small prayer he would ever have of landing in Dallas is if he is cut. That's not happening so people should probably move on with their lives. I like the player but he is a 30 year old RB at a position where nobody lasts into their 30s.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Vikes have been patient with AP, but he's on the road to being suspended without pay.

Peterson's the won who whipped his son. All Minnesota did was what the commissioner told them.

So if I were the Vikings I'd only trade him for an exorbitant cost. He's under contract and getting 12 million dollars. If he wants to whine like a bitch, then fuck him he can stew on the suspended list until his contract ends.

IMO he's either a Viking or he's selling insurance.

Top Bottom