Pat Kirwan 5/2 Mock Draft - Cowboys Trade to #8

data

Forbes #1
NFL MOCK DRAFT - 05/02/2014
ROUND 1
1. HOUSTON TEXANS

(2-14)
Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina: Four weeks in a row Clowney stays on top which is tough with the rumors and speculation about the top pick. Clowney has elite skills but too bad it didn't show much in the 2013 season. Getting Andrew Luck to the ground is the top priority and Clowney should help but there is risk. He still could be traded to Atlanta before the first round is over.
2. CLEVELAND BROWNS (MOCK TRADE FROM ST. LOUIS THROUGH WASHINGTON)

(4-12)
Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson: No one in this draft changes field position like Watkins. He is terrific after the catch, can run deep routes well, and after watching the Ohio State game again I'm convinced he's the right guy for the Browns.
3. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

(4-12)
Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo: Mack is a rare athlete who can play multiple spots and loves football. He will be a factor in the pass rush right away as a pro and many are starting to believe he's better than Clowney.
4. ST. LOUIS RAMS (MOCK TRADE FROM CLEVELAND)

(7-9)
Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn: Robinson has tremendous upside and is a guy that could start for over a decade. Sam Bradford needs better protection. The Rams get a great player and compensation!
5. OAKLAND RAIDERS

(4-12)
Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M: Phil Simms, Gary Danielson and Jon Gruden all told me they believe Manziel can play in the NFL. Oakland needs a spark and if Manziel falls to them he will be hard to resist.
6. ATLANTA FALCONS

(4-12)
Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M: The Falcons are in a great spot to take a pass rusher or a 10-year starting left tackle. Today it's the pass protector and a guy that gives Matt Ryan the best chance to succeed.
7. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

(4-12)
Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M: The Bucs traded away Mike Williams and they are too far down the draft board to get Sammy Watkins so it's the next best thing. Evans is a faster, more explosive version of Vincent Jackson. You better have big corners when you play Tampa.
8. DALLAS COWBOYS (MOCK TRADE FROM MINNESOTA)

(8-8)
Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh: If Rod Marinelli's defense is going to work he needs the best "3 technique" tackle in the draft and Dallas will have to move up to get him.
9. BUFFALO BILLS

(6-10)
Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan: Buffalo can't pass up a 6-foot-7 tackle with athletic ability and a nasty streak. Doug Marrone is a former offensive lineman and line coach and he knows how rare these guys are in the league. If Lewan is gone he could grab Jake Matthews if he's available.
10. DETROIT LIONS

(7-9)
Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State: I've said corner all along for the Lions and talk about trading up for Watkins is just that. Why would Detroit give away this year's first, next year's first and a second to grab a receiver when they have to cover the great receivers in the NFC North?
11. TENNESSEE TITANS

(7-9)
Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA: Barr is an emerging pass rusher and solid defensive player with untapped potential after just two years on defense. He fits any scheme. Pass up a player like Barr here and there will not be anyone like him in the next round.
12. NEW YORK GIANTS

(7-9)
Zack Martin, OG, Notre Dame: Martin is versatile and an upgrade at left tackle for the Giants, who must protect Eli Manning better. TE Eric Ebron is a consideration but protection over receptions is the call here.
13. ST. LOUIS RAMS

(7-9)
Calvin Pryor, FS, Louisville: The Rams already got their offensive tackle earlier in the draft and now plug in a safety. Pryor hits like a strong safety and covers the deep middle like a free safety. Jeff Fisher gets a versatile back end guy to complement the rest of a pretty good defense. He can use the extra pick in the earlier move to pick up a wide receiver.
14. CHICAGO BEARS

(8-8)
Hasean Clinton-Dix, FS, Alabama: Clinton-Dix falls slightly this week and right into the lap of Chicago, which can instantly replace Chris Conti. A deep middle player with range and man coverage skills will help against the receivers in the NFC North.
15. PITTSBURGH STEELERS

(8-8)
Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State: Dennard has been in a defense similar to the Steelers and also has return skills. Darqueze is a high character guy and a good fit as a Steeler.
16. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (MOCK TRADE FROM DALLAS)

(5-10-1)
Blake Bortles, QB, UCF: The Vikings move down, grab extra picks and still get the big athletic QB Norv Turner likes to coach. The Vikings will pick up a corner and a safety in the next round.
17. BALTIMORE RAVENS

(8-8)
Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois: I had a coach tell me Ward is his favorite defensive back in the draft because he can play safety or corner and he hits.
18. NEW YORK JETS

(8-8)
Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina: It doesn't matter if it's Michael Vick or Geno Smith under center, the Jets quarterback needs more weapons. A flexed tight end like Ebron helps the running game as well.
19. MIAMI DOLPHINS

(8-8)
Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama: If Zach Martin is gone and they are really interested in protecting Ryan Tannehill, Kouandijo could be the answer after a solid pro day last week. He's young, very talented and on the rise. Another consideration might be Morgan Moses.
20. ARIZONA CARDINALS

(10-6)
Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri: Ealy has the talent to play on the edge and the size to move inside when the Cardinals want to slide the front around. For now he's in a rotation with Darnell Dockett and a year from now he's the man.
21. GREEN BAY PACKERS

(8-7-1)
C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama: A couple of good linebackers to choose from at this point in the draft. Mosley can line up at a number of spots in Dom Capers' package and be effective. Last week it was Ryan Shazier at this spot and it might very well be him again before May 8.
22. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

(10-6)
Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU: Beckham is a very solid citizen and a polished receiver. If the Eagles decide to hold off on receiver and go defense there are a number of solid defenders left on the board. The Eagles reportedly tried to trade for Dion Jordan and that should indicate their desire for defensive help at pass rusher like Dee Ford.
23. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

(11-5)
Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State: Here's a solid young man who handles himself like a pro already and he plays a position the Chiefs need to upgrade. Andy Reid will see the "DeSean Jackson" model in Cooks.
24. CINCINNATI BENGALS

(11-5)
Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State: The in--state linebacker has speed, production and is a three-down player. He can play WLB on run downs, Mike in the nickel and he has pass-rush skills. Cincinnati would be lucky if he's still on the board.
25. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS

(9-7)
Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame: The Chargers need a nose tackle and many believe Nix is the best. I'm not so sure but for now he's a Charger and will clog up the middle. One defensive line coach told me Nix needs to get back to his 2012 shape and have more range.
26. CLEVELAND BROWNS (FROM INDIANAPOLIS)

(4-12)
Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State: Phil Simms and Jon Gruden both told me Carr is their No. 1 QB in the draft. I like quarterbacks with experience and this guy has 45 starts, 113 touchdown passes and 12,843 yards.
27. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

(11-5)
Dee Ford, DE, Auburn: Ford is a versatile hybrid edge rusher who put on a show at the Senior Bowl. Rob Ryan will use him in many different ways. Some tell me Ford is fading from the first round.
28. CAROLINA PANTHERS

(12-4)
Marqise Lee, WR, Southern California: The Panthers may lose out on a left tackle in this draft if they stay in this spot. Since they need a big-time wide receiver as well there will be a player like Lee falling to them and they should take him. Forget 2013, look at 2012 when Lee had 118 receptions and 14 touchdowns.
29. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

(12-4)
Ra'shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota: Some feel Hageman has fallen out of the first round but Bill Belichick has a long history of taking big defensive linemen in the first round. Hageman's motor may run hot and cold but at 6-6 and 320 pounds it's worth a shot for a team with an old front.
30. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

(12-4)
Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State: Some are starting to believe Roby is the top corner. Others worry about his recent traffic incident. I watched him play and he has off coverage skills to close and he likes contact.
31. DENVER BRONCOS

(13-3)
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech: Fuller is a physical corner and the Broncos will get him on the field early. For a big corner he has good man-to-man skills and will look good in press technique.
32. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

(13-3)
Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington: Last week it was Jace Amaro, but after Jenkins' workout and clean bill of health I believe the Seahawks see him (at 6-6, 271 pounds with 4.5 speed and 146 receptions/21 touchdowns) as a complete tight end.

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Please don't trade up.

For anybody.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would love Aaron Donald on this defense, and I'm secretly rooting for him to be there at 16. But this draft is too deep and we have too many holes to be mortgaging picks. If anything, I wouldn't mind trading down a time or two and gathering picks in the first three rounds.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Please don't trade up.

For anybody.
Yep. I've said it quite a few times already. I don't move up for literally anyone in this draft. Especially not 8 damn spots.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Nobody. If he's there, I would love to take him. But I don't want to trade up for nobody. Not in this draft.
I want JFF*...don't try talking any sense to me.

*Johnny Fucking Football.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I would love Aaron Donald on this defense, and I'm secretly rooting for him to be there at 16. But this draft is too deep and we have too many holes to be mortgaging picks. If anything, I wouldn't mind trading down a time or two and gathering picks in the first three rounds.
:buddy

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree with everyone but Carp. No trading up, not even for JFF.
Trading up for Manziel would be suicide.

I get the idea of getting the QB of the future, but it would basically cripple the depth of this team for this year and in future years if multiple picks are involved.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Whoa. That looks like a Schmitty Photoshop.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When JFF steps to the podium with the Super Bowl trophy...on a stack of phone books...you can't celebrate as hard as I do.

As an aside...I put the FU in fun.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I also want to trade down and pick up an extra pick (or two, hopefully) like last year. It would be awesome to see a draft like this:

1 Timmy Jernigan
2 Jimmie Ward
3 Kelcy Quarles
3 Trent Murphy
4 David Yankey

Top Bottom