Dallas looking at Georgia QB Aaron Murray

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dallas looking at Georgia QB Aaron Murray
April, 16, 2014
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have three quarterbacks on their roster and expect to keep it that way when the 2014 regular season begins.

However, it doesn’t mean the Cowboys won’t look at some quarterbacks.

Team officials are in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday looking at University of Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray. Among the officials in attendance is Cowboys’ quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

There is no expectation the Cowboys will draft Murray in the later rounds of next month’s draft, but the team is doing its due diligence, much like it did two years ago with Brandon Weeden.

When Weeden was entering the draft from Oklahoma State, Cowboys officials met with him and kept watch from afar. After Weeden was released by the Cleveland Browns this spring, the Cowboys jumped at the chance to sign him because they had done the research necessary to make a move.

With the amount of money invested in starting quarterback Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton, the team isn't trying to draft a quarterback in the first two rounds. Finding a future replacement for Romo isn't a high priority, but they are looking for a quality young backup. Though Weeden is 30, he has only two years of NFL experience, so that justifies the Cowboys signing him.

Also, the Cowboys are expected to void out the last few years of Orton's contract, making him a free agent after the 2014 season.

Murray is projected as a middle-round draft selection, but ESPN’s Jon Gruden was impressed with him.

Gruden said Murray, who is fully recovered after tearing his ACL in his left knee last November, has deep-ball accuracy, good touch on the ball and will be “the steal for somebody” in the draft. Cowboys' officials aren't in love with Murray's height, 6-1, but they believe he's got a strong enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL.

Murray is the all-time leading passer in SEC history and holds the school record with 121 career touchdowns.

The Cowboys haven’t met with any of the top quarterbacks at Valley Ranch during their 30 pre-draft visits. It could be a smoke screen, or the simple fact the team isn’t drafting a quarterback.

Team officials are quite familiar with all the top quarterbacks, and their closer look at Murray might not mean anything now, but could be something for the future.

Stars

DCC 4Life
Calvin is really trying to sell that Brandon Weeden signing. Hey guys, with just a little luck he could turn into the next Chris Weinke...

Turrible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What about Murray? He was injured virtually all of last season and frankly I don't recall seeing his much before that so I have no idea about him at all.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What about Murray? He was injured virtually all of last season and frankly I don't recall seeing his much before that so I have no idea about him at all.
He only missed the last game of the regular season and the bowl game.

Four year starter and highly productive, probably threw for about 120 TD's and 40 INT's over that time. He doesn't have ideal size but he has a good arm, good touch on the deep ball, but he isn't going to do a whole lot of improvisational stuff. He's athletic enough to make plays off designed movement but he isn't going to pull Romo type plays out of his ass.

He seems like a guy who will be a product of his surroundings in the NFL, if he goes to a shit team with shit weapons, he will really struggle (as most would) but if you put a solid OL in front of him, give him some decent targets and don't put too much on his shoulders, I think he could be a good starting QB.

Worst case scenario he's a very good backup in my opinion.

dallen

Senior Tech
He is a good quarterback. Good poise, good arm. Makes smart decisions. He could end up a late round steal for someone. I'd rather have Murray than Mettenberger

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Thanks all. How is his read and recognition skills for defensive schemes? As to size how small is he and what physique type is he? Does he have small hands or large hands. How is his out route delivery strength? I guess that's enough for now.

D

Deuce

He only missed the last game of the regular season and the bowl game.

Four year starter and highly productive, probably threw for about 120 TD's and 40 INT's over that time. He doesn't have ideal size but he has a good arm, good touch on the deep ball, but he isn't going to do a whole lot of improvisational stuff. He's athletic enough to make plays off designed movement but he isn't going to pull Romo type plays out of his ass.

He seems like a guy who will be a product of his surroundings in the NFL, if he goes to a shit team with shit weapons, he will really struggle (as most would) but if you put a solid OL in front of him, give him some decent targets and don't put too much on his shoulders, I think he could be a good starting QB.

Worst case scenario he's a very good backup in my opinion.
I don't hate him and certainly think he has value in the mid rounds, but he's not one to play big in big games. That's not an attribute I'm looking for in a player when we already have Romo.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not a Murray fan, but if they think he fits and he really is the only guy they seem to be digging into...go for it. I want a head start on a developmental...I would just be sick if that idea is hey, we got Weeden...definitely got Weeden.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Not a Murray fan, but if they think he fits and he really is the only guy they seem to be digging into...go for it. I want a head start on a developmental...I would just be sick if that idea is hey, we got Weeden...definitely got Weeden.
I agree. But Murray doesn't really do it for me. I'm kind of interested in Savage. He's big and has above avg tools. Reading his scouting reports, it looks like his main problems could be coached up.

Wait.

Wade Wilson.
:cry

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It's only one scouting report, but doesn't sound real encouraging.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aaron -murray?id=2543587
Thanks No. Dak. Sounds like a Manziel body type with a lot less skills. Doesn't seem to be someone that I would try to replace a starting pro QB with. The scouting report inferred he either didn't have read and recognition skills or they haven't been tested. Hands are small with short arms. I would have to see a lot more positive stuff to continue to be interested.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
After Weeden was released by the Cleveland Browns this spring, the Cowboys jumped at the chance to sign him because they had done the research necessary to make a move.
Imagine 'jumping at the chance' to sign Brandon Weeden.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Imagine 'jumping at the chance' to sigh Brandon Weeden.
Weeden graded out pretty well in college. I saw quite a bit of him. He was a solid athlete but not an exceptional QB. He probably fits the description of a bus driver QB.

Last edited:

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Also don't forget the chokes in big game stigma. Just another reason I don't want him in Dallas.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Thanks No. Dak. Sounds like a Manziel body type with a lot less skills. Doesn't seem to be someone that I would try to replace a starting pro QB with. The scouting report inferred he either didn't have read and recognition skills or they haven't been tested. Hands are small with short arms. I would have to see a lot more positive stuff to continue to be interested.
He's not as small-looking as Manziel. He had multiple years of very solid production against some of the best defenses in college football. As Simpleton said he has some Romo big game choke in him, but we could do a lot worse. I think he's good enough to be a solid backup and may even make for a decent starter given some the weapons he would have in Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
may even make for a decent starter given some the weapons he would have in Dallas.
Weapons? What weapons? If you listen to some folks, poor ol' Romo has just been shackled with no weapons.

dallen

Senior Tech
I hate to sound too hostile, but Murray's numbers in the big games he supposedly choked in weren't all that bad. Georgia never was as good as Alabama. Blaming Murray for losing is like giving McCarron credit for Alabama's streak. I know you could say the same thing about Romo, but then I was never on the replace Romo train either. Until age and injuries (and a giant stupid contract) started creeping in anway

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I hate to sound too hostile, but Murray's numbers in the big games he supposedly choked in weren't all that bad. Georgia never was as good as Alabama. Blaming Murray for losing is like giving McCarron credit for Alabama's streak. I know you could say the same thing about Romo, but then I was never on the replace Romo train either. Until age and injuries (and a giant stupid contract) started creeping in anway

He played for a coach who's never done worth a damn in the big games. Murray was consistent through his years at UGA. I hope he slides in the draft and we take a chance on him.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I actually like Murray and McCarron.

An added bonus with both of them is that they both played in pro-style offenses in college so we got a bit of a glimpse of what both of them could do running an NFL style offense.

Top Bottom