Archer - Benson Mayowa wants to go from 'Who?' to household name

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cowboys' Benson Mayowa wants to go from 'Who?' to household name

May 16, 2016
Todd Archer - ESPN Staff Writer
IRVING, Texas -- Benson Mayowa likes that nobody really knows who he is.

When the Dallas Cowboys held their rookie minicamp after the draft, Mayowa was in the locker room and the only way he lost his anonymity came from sitting at his locker, fresh with the name plate at the top and a moving company’s box tucked in the back.

"I haven't really scratched the surface yet,” Mayowa said. “I'd rather be low key and then people will be like, 'Who is this guy? Where did he come from?' I'm not loud. I don't want to talk about anything. I'm not about to brag or boast about anything. But when I ball, then [it’s], 'Who is this guy?' That's what I like. Football will take care of itself."

Benson Mayowa, formerly of the Raiders, said he's confident that defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli can help him become a force for the Cowboys' defense. Kyle Terada/USA TODAY SportsThe Cowboys made Mayowa their first restricted free-agent signing, luring him away from the Oakland Raiders with a three-year, $8.55 million deal. OnlyCedric Thornton received a bigger contract from the Cowboys in free agency at four years, $17 million.

And what has Mayowa accomplished so far in his three-year career?

The defensive end has played in 30 games with the Seattle Seahawks (two) and Raiders (28) and has recorded two sacks.

"In two years I played 30 percent of the plays," he said. "That's nothing. That's two years, plus my rookie year, that's probably 700 plays for my career. I know I've got my best football ahead of me because there's opportunity. If you take opportunity, that's how you shine. And you run with it. That's what I'm trying to do."

Despite the limited playing time, senior director of college and pro personnel Will McClay saw enough to warrant the signing. The Cowboys’ belief in McClay’s ability to find players anywhere led them to make their first foray into restricted free agency.

With the four-game suspension of Randy Gregory and the potential four-game suspension of DeMarcus Lawrence to start the season, the Cowboys will need Mayowa to grow into a larger role quickly.

Mayowa joined the Cowboys because of the opportunity. In two years with the Raiders he played behind Khalil Mack, Justin Tuck and LaMarr Woodley. This offseason, the Raiders signed Bruce Irvin in free agency and already have Mack. In Seattle, he was behind Chris Clemons, Cliff Avril and Irvin.

“So I always had to scratch my way in places,” he said. “That's why coming here is a great opportunity."

The Cowboys don’t have a Mack or Tuck or Clemons. They are hoping Mayowa can do some of the things those players did as part of a rotation. They hope defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli can bring out his best. After a conversation with former Seattle teammate Michael Bennett about Marinelli, Mayowa is convinced it will happen.

"I feel like he's going to take me to the next level," Mayowa said. "When you work like that, it will take your game to another level."

Marinelli will like to hear Mayowa’s self-scouting report.

"Fast, high motor," Mayowa said. "I'm going to go after it every play and play like it's my last."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yep. My very first thought when we signed him was, "who?".

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I hope but its just hard to judge it from so few snaps.
Selvie came off his couch and was basically out of the league when we signed him. Mayowa at least has been on a roster the last few years and seems more athletic so who knows?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Selvie came off his couch and was basically out of the league when we signed him. Mayowa at least has been on a roster the last few years and seems more athletic so who knows?
I hope but its just hard to judge it from so few snaps.
Marinelli is going to have to earn his "DL Guru" status and get some of these "Sparq" players to transition their talent to the field. Mayowa, Russell, Tapper, Irving, have some talent and it's about time Marinelli gets a rotation going that produces pressure by committee like he's been saying he's going to. It's not like he brings a lot more to the damned table. He doesn't design blitzes and coverages to dial up pressure or manufacture turnovers Like Dick Lebeau or Jim Johnson used to. He plays vanilla defense and counts on his front 4 to bring pressure and he's hung his hat on being an elite DL guy. If he can't live up to that, it's time to move on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marinelli is going to have to earn his "DL Guru" status and get some of these "Sparq" players to transition their talent to the field. Mayowa, Russell, Tapper, Irving, have some talent and it's about time Marinelli gets a rotation going that produces pressure by committee like he's been saying he's going to. It's not like he brings a lot more to the damned table. He doesn't design blitzes and coverages to dial up pressure or manufacture turnovers Like Dick Lebeau or Jim Johnson used to. He plays vanilla defense and counts on his front 4 to bring pressure and he's hung his hat on being an elite DL guy. If he can't live up to that, it's time to move on.
I'd say Lawrence was developing very nicely. Gregory probably is as well, we just haven't been able to see it yet. It's far more difficult though when your talking about sixth, seventh and UDFA's though. Guys like that aren't just raw, sometimes they just aren't good football players.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'd say Lawrence was developing very nicely. Gregory probably is as well, we just haven't been able to see it yet. It's far more difficult though when your talking about sixth, seventh and UDFA's though. Guys like that aren't just raw, sometimes they just aren't good football players.
We've found guys like Ratliff and Bowen in the 7th and UDFA, It's not like it can't be done, this team has done it.

I'm not saying he needs to turn these guys in to 16 sack players or even 10 sack players. Some of them are just going to have to contribute 4-5 each as part of a rotation of fresh pass rushers. That's the philosophy he's been pushing since he got here. If it doesn't work, how much patience are we supposed to have with it? Hopefully Thornton stuffs up the middle, makes Crawford do a Hatcher impression at the 3T position and then the ends can feed off of that. I think that's the best chance we have for the front seven to perform well enough to keep the defense from being a liability.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd say Lawrence was developing very nicely. Gregory probably is as well, we just haven't been able to see it yet.
You are being very optimistic.

We saw marked improvement from Lawrence from when he broke his foot locking one-on-one with Tyron to his rehab to his improved run defense to his elevated and clutch play in the 2014 playoffs. He took a step back to start 2015, but steadily improved throughout the year.

We have to wonder how his suspension will set him back again, and/or if the drugs he's suspended for are perf enhancing ala Shawne Merriman. We have no idea, but I have some faith he can contribute meaningful snaps by November.

We saw no improvement from Gregory. Ever. I trust his ability to "return" from his suspension far, far less. Worse, I seriously doubt he can remain clean and sober. This is a guy who openly told NFL teams "I need help" before the draft. Well, we're seeing that now. I seriously expect nothing-- less than nothing since he burns a roster spot.

Top Bottom