MacMahon: Jerry Jones - Only a Super Bowl win can silence Tony Romo critics

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
A Super Bowl win is the only thing that should silence his critics. What else are we asking for?

If he threw 50 TDs in a season but still didn't win the SB, he's still a loser.

I don't want to call him a loser anymore.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I look forward to when we are having this conversation about Winston's Cowboys legacy.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If the Cowboys win I'd even be willing to get off teh J's back - at least for a litle while
Jerry does deserve a few props.

Splitting up the OC duties and allowing Garrett to just be the head coach was a pretty major deal. Jones has wanted his coaches to handle a coordinator role, and it's cool that Garrett is finally able to be a walk-around coach. This allows the guy coordinating to focus specifically on his task. Maybe at some point this will convince Jerry that a full-time GM would be beneficial.

Their drafting and FA philosophy in recent years has shifted. Building the OL, even when there are shinier toys on the shelf. Minus the Claiborne trade and another high pick on a TE, there's not much else to complain about. Hope there will be a similar approach with the DL.

Props to Jerry for delegating.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I can't believe Jerry felt the need to spin a question about Romo's legacy into, "How'd ya like those 3 rings..."

On second thought, yeah I do believe it.
Jerry's a douche. If Romo gets a ring it's because he was a major part of it. Jerry's rings came from watching Jimmy and staff build a team and then he tried to take credit since he was GM in name only.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Jerry does deserve a few props.

Splitting up the OC duties and allowing Garrett to just be the head coach was a pretty major deal. Jones has wanted his coaches to handle a coordinator role, and it's cool that Garrett is finally able to be a walk-around coach. This allows the guy coordinating to focus specifically on his task. Maybe at some point this will convince Jerry that a full-time GM would be beneficial.

Their drafting and FA philosophy in recent years has shifted. Building the OL, even when there are shinier toys on the shelf. Minus the Claiborne trade and another high pick on a TE, there's not much else to complain about. Hope there will be a similar approach with the DL.

Props to Jerry for delegating.
I thought i responded to this post but it disappeared.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
Not really. Romo has the gaudy numbers and just needs the SB and he's in the Hall of Fame. Flacco, like Manning, has been average to good in the regular season, which offsets the postseason, but never both.
I'm speaking more about the unknowledgable fans who blame every loss on Romo.

He could win us the SB this season and his TD/INT ratio could be 12/0 in the playoffs, but it wouldn't matter if he throws a pick in the 4th quarter of a tight game, first week of next season.

Those same critics would come out in flocks at the first sign of letdown. Hall of famer, he would definitely be one if he wins one SB and performs brilliantly while doing it. But he will always be branded a choker by a great number of people, not including me.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm speaking more about the unknowledgable fans who blame every loss on Romo.

He could win us the SB this season and his TD/INT ratio could be 12/0 in the playoffs, but it wouldn't matter if he throws a pick in the 4th quarter of a tight game, first week of next season.

Those same critics would come out in flocks at the first sign of letdown. Hall of famer, he would definitely be one if he wins one SB and performs brilliantly while doing it. But he will always be branded a choker by a great number of people, not including me.
Yeah, but fuck those people. They are the same bitches crying about the flag being picked up on a bad PI call.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A Super Bowl win is the only thing that should silence his critics. What else are we asking for?

If he threw 50 TDs in a season but still didn't win the SB, he's still a loser.

I don't want to call him a loser anymore.
I don't know if he needs a superbowl, he just needs to prove he can win in the playoffs. For example if he makes the Superbowl and loses I don't think people would be too hard on him. The reason he has been labeled a loser is because of the number of times he has failed to make the playoffs or made the playoffs and lost.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't know if he needs a superbowl, he just needs to prove he can win in the playoffs. For example if he makes the Superbowl and loses I don't think people would be too hard on him. The reason he has been labeled a loser is because of the number of times he has failed to make the playoffs or made the playoffs and lost.
Think about it though, Super Bowl wins legitimize QBs. Marino, fair or not, to me will always be a step below a Montana or Elway because he did not win.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think this is true. He has gotten a lot of favorable commentary over the last couple of years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Think about it though, Super Bowl wins legitimize QBs. Marino, fair or not, to me will always be a step below a Montana or Elway because he did not win.
I guess if you want to talk about Romo as an all time great you're correct, he needs the superbowl. He'd probably need some post season success over the next couple of years as well. I was just talking about him dropping the choker label.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess if you want to talk about Romo as an all time great you're correct, he needs the superbowl. He'd probably need some post season success over the next couple of years as well. I was just talking about him dropping the choker label.
Well if he wins a Super Bowl he is going to have the numbers to be in the mix for alltime greats.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Well if he wins a Super Bowl he is going to have the numbers to be in the mix for alltime greats.
I'd say Kurt Warner who has one ring (but led two different teams to the Superbowl) is a Hall of Famer for sure, and Romo has a ways to catch up to him. Should Romo win the Superbowl, he'd still be behind Phil Simms who won one and led his team to another before surrendering to his backup. Simms isn't a HOFer, and I don't think Plunkett who outright won two rings is either.

Romo has great passing stats, but would need to contend over the next three or four years to be considered. Even still there will be those who just flat out hate/don't respect the guy who will do their best to block his entry.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Marino got them into the playoffs quite a few times though, I don't think Romo will come close to getting in to the HOF without a couple Super Bowl trips(or at least going deep in the playoffs for the next 3-4 years straight).

Top Bottom