Wildcard Sunday Chatter | Cowboys and Lions | 1/4/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The media can go suck a bag of dicks, there are horrendous calls and missed calls in every single game, every single week.
There were a hell of a lot more "missed" calls then that during the game. Not sure why the NFL is commenting on specific missed calls now.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Apparently, it's kind of fluid with people misinterpreting what is and is not accepted.

But one thing for sure
I am not to start a game day chatter thread. I think that's near the top of the list.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
President Obama on controversial call in Cowboys game: ‘If I was a Lions fan I’d be pretty aggravated’

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: January 6, 2015 7:46 pm

President Barack Obama sympathizes with Detroit Lions fans after seeing the play that was overturned during Sunday’s Cowboys victory at AT&T Stadium.

Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens was called for pass interference after defending a third-and-1 throw to Detroit’s Brandon Pettigrew midway through the fourth quarter. Referee Pete Morelli announced the penalty and marked it off to give the Lions a first down.

But the head linesman overruled the call. After the game, Morelli explained that the flag was picked up because the head linesman believed it was incidental contact and Hitchens was only face-guarding.

The Cowboys went on to score the game-winning touchdown on their ensuing possession. Detroit had a chance to answer, however, Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford was sacked and fumbled on fourth down with a minute remaining.

The President told The Detroit News in a Tuesday interview he couldn’t “remember a circumstance in which a good call by one of the refs is argued about by an opposing player of the other team with his helmet off on the field, which in and of itself is supposed to be a penalty. The call is announced and then reversed without explanation. I haven’t seen that before — so I will leave it up to the experts to make the judgment as to why that happen — but I can tell you if I was a Lions fan I’d be pretty aggravated.”

Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant went onto the field without his helmet to argue the call. He was not penalized for his actions.

“I think I did a pretty good job of closing the distance and at least trying to get my head turned around. So overall I think my technique was pretty decent,” Hitchens said Tuesday. “I just felt once the ball hit my back then I let up. I can fight more to get my head turned around or close the gap a little closer.”
-----------------

And a big Presidential suck it to you too, Obama.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens: ‘Obviously not’ pass interference; Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford: ‘First time in history that’s happened’

Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George Email bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Published: January 6, 2015 7:20 pm

IRVING – Not many folks outside of Dallas knew the name Anthony Hitchens before Sunday. Now the rookie Cowboys linebacker’s name has been all over the news.

On Tuesday, Hitchens finally weighed in on the controversial pass interference call against him that was quickly erased in the Cowboys’ playoff win Sunday over Detroit.

Hitchens initially said he didn’t know whether pass interference should have been called against him in the fourth quarter.

“Obviously not. They didn’t call it, so I’m just going by what was the call on the field,” Hitchens said. “They get paid to do their jobs, so that’s that.”

On third-and-1 from the Dallas 46, Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford threw an incomplete pass to tight end Brandon Pettigrew on the left side. The back judge flagged Hitchens for pass interference. Referee Pete Morelli announced the penalty and marked it off to give the Lions a first down. However, the head linesman overruled the call and waved off the penalty. After the game, Morelli explained that the flag was picked up because the head linesman believed it was incidental contact and Hitchens was only face-guarding.

As the ball arrives, Hitchens turns his head slightly to the left, but doesn’t come close to looking back for the ball. Hitchens’ left hand is also on Pettigrew’s right shoulder just before the underthrown pass hits Hitchens in the left shoulder.

Just after the ball deflects off Hitchens’ left shoulder, he throws his arms in the air and away from Pettigrew.

“I think I did a pretty good job of closing the distance and at least trying to get my head turned around. So overall I think my technique was pretty decent,” Hitchens said. “I just felt once the ball hit my back then I let up. I can fight more to get my head turned around or close the gap a little closer.”

NFL head of officials Dean Blandino said Monday that Hitchens should have been penalized for defensive holding for grabbing Pettigrew’s jersey before the pass. Replays also showed Pettigrew grabbing Hitchens’ facemask.

Hitchens was asked if it’s difficult to cover a player who is grabbing his facemask. He smiled and laughed before answering.

“At the end of the day you just have to try to make the play,” Hitchens said. “You’re not going to get all the calls.”

Stafford, who was wired for the game, could be heard Tuesday night on Inside The NFL on Showtime talking to the officials about picking up the flag.

“That’s unbelievable … and you know it. How does that get overturned?” Stafford said, before a referee explained that it was only face-guarding. “But I’ve never in the history seen one turned over. Congratulations, man. First time in history that’s happened.”

Hitchens didn’t know really what to think about the national debate over his play. And what would Hitchens say to those asking, “Who is this guy?”

“I’m just a guy who is trying to do his job,” Hitchens said. “I don’t make calls.”

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked Tuesday on KRLD-FM about if the league is bias towards the Cowboys.

“Well, first of all, that’s just not the case,” Jones said. “If you’ll look over the last several years when we’ve had $10 million taken off our salary cap for what I thought was not the right way to handle it. When I look at the calls we got in that game, it’s pretty easy to see there’s no bias.

“But I’m not going to be defensive about bias. Look, I’ll take a call. I’ll take the call going with us any way you want to make it on any basis.”

BRIEFLY …

The NFL told the Detroit Lions on Tuesday, according to ESPN.com, that officials missed a holding call against Cowboys LG Ron Leary on Lions DT Ndamukong Suh during Dallas’ game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. The alleged holding call came on the Cowboys’ fourth-and-6 conversion that Tony Romo completed a 21-yard pass to TE Jason Witten. … Hitchens said his high right ankle sprain feels better this week, though he likely won’t practice much this week to rest the injury. He said he played through pain Sunday.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Dallas Cowboys LB Anthony Hitchens: ‘Obviously not’ pass interference; Detroit Lions QB Matthew Stafford: ‘First time in history that’s happened’

Brandon George / Reporter Follow @DMN_George Email bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Published: January 6, 2015 7:20 pm

IRVING – Not many folks outside of Dallas knew the name Anthony Hitchens before Sunday. Now the rookie Cowboys linebacker’s name has been all over the news.

On Tuesday, Hitchens finally weighed in on the controversial pass interference call against him that was quickly erased in the Cowboys’ playoff win Sunday over Detroit.

Hitchens initially said he didn’t know whether pass interference should have been called against him in the fourth quarter.

“Obviously not. They didn’t call it, so I’m just going by what was the call on the field,” Hitchens said. “They get paid to do their jobs, so that’s that.”

On third-and-1 from the Dallas 46, Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford threw an incomplete pass to tight end Brandon Pettigrew on the left side. The back judge flagged Hitchens for pass interference. Referee Pete Morelli announced the penalty and marked it off to give the Lions a first down. However, the head linesman overruled the call and waved off the penalty. After the game, Morelli explained that the flag was picked up because the head linesman believed it was incidental contact and Hitchens was only face-guarding.

As the ball arrives, Hitchens turns his head slightly to the left, but doesn’t come close to looking back for the ball. Hitchens’ left hand is also on Pettigrew’s right shoulder just before the underthrown pass hits Hitchens in the left shoulder.

Just after the ball deflects off Hitchens’ left shoulder, he throws his arms in the air and away from Pettigrew.

“I think I did a pretty good job of closing the distance and at least trying to get my head turned around. So overall I think my technique was pretty decent,” Hitchens said. “I just felt once the ball hit my back then I let up. I can fight more to get my head turned around or close the gap a little closer.”

NFL head of officials Dean Blandino said Monday that Hitchens should have been penalized for defensive holding for grabbing Pettigrew’s jersey before the pass. Replays also showed Pettigrew grabbing Hitchens’ facemask.

Hitchens was asked if it’s difficult to cover a player who is grabbing his facemask. He smiled and laughed before answering.

“At the end of the day you just have to try to make the play,” Hitchens said. “You’re not going to get all the calls.”

Stafford, who was wired for the game, could be heard Tuesday night on Inside The NFL on Showtime talking to the officials about picking up the flag.

“That’s unbelievable … and you know it. How does that get overturned?” Stafford said, before a referee explained that it was only face-guarding. “But I’ve never in the history seen one turned over. Congratulations, man. First time in history that’s happened.”

Hitchens didn’t know really what to think about the national debate over his play. And what would Hitchens say to those asking, “Who is this guy?”

“I’m just a guy who is trying to do his job,” Hitchens said. “I don’t make calls.”

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was asked Tuesday on KRLD-FM about if the league is bias towards the Cowboys.

“Well, first of all, that’s just not the case,” Jones said. “If you’ll look over the last several years when we’ve had $10 million taken off our salary cap for what I thought was not the right way to handle it. When I look at the calls we got in that game, it’s pretty easy to see there’s no bias.

“But I’m not going to be defensive about bias. Look, I’ll take a call. I’ll take the call going with us any way you want to make it on any basis.”

BRIEFLY …

The NFL told the Detroit Lions on Tuesday, according to ESPN.com, that officials missed a holding call against Cowboys LG Ron Leary on Lions DT Ndamukong Suh during Dallas’ game-winning drive in the fourth quarter. The alleged holding call came on the Cowboys’ fourth-and-6 conversion that Tony Romo completed a 21-yard pass to TE Jason Witten. … Hitchens said his high right ankle sprain feels better this week, though he likely won’t practice much this week to rest the injury. He said he played through pain Sunday.
:jerk:jerk:jerk

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Who the fuck asked Obama? I don't give a shit what he thinks about my football team. In fact, butt out.
Caldwell...black coach. Make sense now? He'll probably send in Eric Holder to investigate.

data

Forbes #1
Tmz dedicated a whole segment to Chris Christie and how it will affect his future candidacy. One person argued how New Jersey and New York, at the very least, people will feel betrayed and he will lose votes. The other person countered and said they are blue states anyway and Christie endeared himself to the Texan electorate.

Embrace the hate.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The media can go suck a bag of dicks, there are horrendous calls and missed calls in every single game, every single week.
Especially when it comes to holding calls. I'm sure the Cowboys can send the league office at least a dozen plays that they missed on Sunday that benefitted the Lions.

As an aside, I think it's time to lock down this thread.

We're on to Green Bay.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
How dumb was it anyway to leave Leary one oon one with Suh while Frederick helped Martin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom