Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it all starts with our misevaluation of Romo. It has prevented Dallas from feeling the desperation that they should be feeling picking at 4.
Why do you feel they've misevaluated Romo? Because he broke his collarbone the second time or the first time? The second break was IMO caused by his early return.

The first concerns me more, but after surgery a bone like that usually repairs stronger and is harder to re-injure because it's not jutting. Emmitt Smith had the same surgery. So we're mainly talking about Romo's age, and I expect he'll play at least two more years.

You are acting like he will break his collarbone the next time he hits the ground, and I don't think that's logical.

I think that's a fear-based response, and fear is no reason to jump on a QB.

There will be also be QB's next year and in the following year. Or maybe Lynch or possibly Cook this year.

Bottom line is there are options. The Rams and Eagles have no Tony Romo at all. They are bottom feeders without immediate upgrades.

Dallas is not.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
The Doctor they had on after his second break said it's easier to re-injur after the first break.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The only thing I will say though is that if Wentz does turn out to be an MVP type of QB, it will be the biggest mistake in Cowboys history, aside from idiot not doing whatever he could to retain Jimmy. We had the guy for a week at the Senior Bowl and the cost to move up to 2 would've been less than the Eagles paid, if he does indeed end up being that type of talent that will be a mis-evaluation of epic proportions.

I don't think it will happen but still.
We passed on both Joe Montana and Dan Marino. We wouldn't have had to give up anything for either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We passed on both Joe Montana and Dan Marino. We wouldn't have had to give up anything for either.
Don't forget Aaron Rodgers. We just had to have Marcus Spears. We are also stupid for not taking Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.

How about we stop fixating on two players being the only possible salvation for the foreseeable future of this franchise?

Read the history of these draft threads for a good laugh.

The desperation for a QB kept increasing with each passing week despite the prospects not having played a single game since the Senior Bowl.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Damn. That's nice. Plus the extra 1st and second rounders in the next drafts.

Too bad it's Cleveland, and they'll just piss them all away in the factory of sadness.

:lol

That was greatness.

"It's like they are playing a different sport than you." :lol

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
I would definitely take 15, 43 and 45 from the Titans now to move down. Maybe Lynch or Elliot makes it that far.
Lynch probably isn't even a consideration. I'm sure this half-ass front office is locked in on Dak now. And you know these dumbasses will give him half a decade to prove that he sucks like anyone with a brain knows right now.

Genghis Khan

Don't forget Aaron Rodgers. We just had to have Marcus Spears. We are also stupid for not taking Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.

How about we stop fixating on two players being the only possible salvation for the foreseeable future of this franchise?

Read the history of these draft threads for a good laugh.

The desperation for a QB kept increasing with each passing week despite the prospects not having played a single game since the Senior Bowl.
I'm only talking about whether it's our worst personnel mistake ever.

I can't fault us for passing on Brady, no one could have foreseen that. I can't fault us for passing on Wilson, we had Romo who 4 years later is still playing at a higher level than Wilson is.

But given what 2 different teams were willing to give up to get Goff and Wentz, I think it should now be clear that these are better prospects than you are giving them credit for.

Genghis Khan

Lynch probably isn't even a consideration. I'm sure this half-ass front office is locked in on Dak now. And you know these dumbasses will give him half a decade to prove that he sucks like anyone with a brain knows right now.
I think that's exactly what is happening. We got wind that the eagles offered a bigger package than we'd ever be willing to give for Wentz, so we ran to look at Prescott again because that's our next choice.

Personally, I'd rather Lynch than Prescott, but given draft slot, I'd only want lynch after a big trade down. Otherwise, I'd prefer Cook or even Hackenburg.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think that's exactly what is happening. We got wind that the eagles offered a bigger package than we'd ever be willing to give for Wentz, so we ran to look at Prescott again because that's our next choice.

Personally, I'd rather Lynch than Prescott, but given draft slot, I'd only want lynch after a big trade down. Otherwise, I'd prefer Cook or even Hackenburg.
Fuck, I'd rather trade up to three to ensure we get Lynch than take Prescott anywhere. I think his ceiling is a mediocre backup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you feel they've misevaluated Romo? Because he broke his collarbone the second time or the first time? The second break was IMO caused by his early return.

The first concerns me more, but after surgery a bone like that usually repairs stronger and is harder to re-injure because it's not jutting. Emmitt Smith had the same surgery. So we're mainly talking about Romo's age, and I expect he'll play at least two more years.

You are acting like he will break his collarbone the next time he hits the ground, and I don't think that's logical.

I think that's a fear-based response, and fear is no reason to jump on a QB.

There will be also be QB's next year and in the following year. Or maybe Lynch or possibly Cook this year.

Bottom line is there are options. The Rams and Eagles have no Tony Romo at all. They are bottom feeders without immediate upgrades.

Dallas is not.
You do know that this was the second and third time he broke that collarbone in his NFL career? So your argument that it gets stronger is clearly trash.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have actually spent a ton of time with Lynch. Dak wasn't even on the original official visit list. Lynch was.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But given what 2 different teams were willing to give up to get Goff and Wentz, I think it should now be clear that these are better prospects than you are giving them credit for.
You are being seriously over the top. Worst mistake ever??

First, I have always admitted that I didn't know either prospect well, have only pointed out they each have major surface flaws, and that I had to defer to the NFL experts if they were each really franchise players. I usually could give a damn what most draft publications say as they are rarely accurate. And Hell, even the draft pubs don't have these guys ranked as high as Winston from last year. Casserly doesn't care for either of them.

I even posted over a month ago that if they were so good, why weren't a bunch of teams trying to leapfrog Cleveland to get the 1st pick.

Now we know for sure that some teams were that desperate. A couple of bad teams and awful front offices. And make no mistake, Philly and LA are bad front offices who are truly desperate at QB. While Dallas might have a bad front office, they are not desperate at QB.

I knew each team would give up a Kings ransom, and despite people telling me I'd been eating lead paint chips while my brain was developing for thinking it would take an arm and a leg to trade up to pick 2, that's exactly what happened. Basically two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd to jump 6 spots-- all because of the position involved.

I'd like to know where reputable NFL front offices like the Packers or Steelers who didn't need a QB honestly ranked these two QBs. We'll probably never know.

Genghis Khan

Great that you decided to reply to me with War and peace, Ravi, but I clearly said it's NOT our biggest mistake ever.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You do know that this was the second and third time he broke that collarbone in his NFL career? So your argument that it gets stronger is clearly trash.
It heals stronger but if it protrudes at the joint when it heals it becomes more vulnerable to breaking. That Mumford procedure removes that added vulnerability. It worked for Emmitt Smith who took a bigger pounding than Tony Romo has and ever will.

That the second break happened six years after the first is not very telling. Romo'd been slammed on that shoulder a hundred times in between.

You are acting like Romo's dead-man-walking and we need an immediate replacement. It's an overreaction.

What we need is solid depth and a future prospect, but not at the cost of this and future drafts. There will be good QB's in the coming years.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Great that you decided to reply to me with War and peace, Ravi, but I clearly said it's NOT our biggest mistake ever.
Sorry, long day. Misunderstood your first statement.

I don't think it's a mistake to not trade half your draft for a good QB prospect. I think making that trade IS a mistake as it amplifies risk to a huge degree.

When was a desperate trade up for a QB really ever really successful? RG3 and Ryan Leaf are two of the worst trades in NFL history. Steve Walsh for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks was another fleecing.

Odds are that at least one of these trades will also be.

GShock

DCC 4Life
You are acting like Romo's dead-man-walking and we need an immediate replacement. It's an overreaction.

What we need is solid depth and a future prospect, but not at the cost of this and future drafts. There will be good QB's in the coming years.
I feel pretty comfortable that at his age with his history of repeated season-ending injuries, including multiple back surgeries, his style of play, and our stupid, stupid offense, Romo is essentially a ticking time bomb.

We were in the top 4 and failed or refused to do what it takes to secure one of the top two QB prospects. The price was steep, but it always will be for projected franchise QBs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It heals stronger but if it protrudes at the joint when it heals it becomes more vulnerable to breaking. That Mumford procedure removes that added vulnerability. It worked for Emmitt Smith who took a bigger pounding than Tony Romo has and ever will.

Yeah because Emmitt wasn't injury prone like Romo. 3 collarbone breaks on the same collarbone over a 6 year period is significant. And the mumford procedure is done to reduce pain and discomfort by removing part of the collarbone. Romo last year broke his collarbone from mundane normal hits. I absolutely am concerned that this is going to be a chronic thing. And even if it doesn't he has chronic back issues that aren't getting better and has a real tendency to break other bones.

Expecting a frail 36 year old QB who takes a ton of hits because of his playing style to last a full season is laughable. The injury issues won't get better with age at this point.

So yeah, I do think he is a dead man walking and QB is a huge immediate need. It's not a question of if with Romo, just a question of when the injury will come.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yeah because Emmitt wasn't injury prone like Romo. 3 collarbone breaks on the same collarbone over a 6 year period is significant. And the mumford procedure is done to reduce pain and discomfort by removing part of the collarbone. Romo last year broke his collarbone from mundane normal hits. I absolutely am concerned that this is going to be a chronic thing. And even if it doesn't he has chronic back issues that aren't getting better and has a real tendency to break other bones.

Expecting a frail 36 year old QB who takes a ton of hits because of his playing style to last a full season is laughable. The injury issues won't get better with age at this point.

So yeah, I do think he is a dead man walking and QB is a huge immediate need. It's not a question of if with Romo, just a question of when the injury will come.
I suppose the one single hope to keep Romo upright is a super solid RB and that's not a cinch. It would help though. It is obvious that opponents are going to target him because with out him the Cowboys are and have been dogmeat. The obvious fix was to find his replacement but that looks like it's down the tubes.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose the one single hope to keep Romo upright is a super solid RB and that's not a cinch.
I think the impact on the liklihood of a Romo injury by adding a RB is negligible. Romo is either going to get hurt or he won't. It's sort of like the concept that a better Oline will somehow keep him healthy. It won't and hasn't.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think the impact on the liklihood of a Romo injury by adding a RB is negligible. Romo is either going to get hurt or he won't. It's sort of like the concept that a better Oline will somehow keep him healthy. It won't and hasn't.
Its not a sure thing but you should hedge your bets. Having one that can pick up blitzes is better than one that can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom