NBA Chatter Thread

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That was a gutty performance by the Mavs last night. Carlisle completely outclassed Billy Donovan. That was the biggest key of the game, IMO.

It also didn't hurt that KD playing like crap evened out the playing field a little. Regardless, the Thunder had no business losing that home game to a team with as many key injuries as the Mavs.

If that Adams shot had counted I think the series is a sweep because a loss like that would have been demoralizing. KD's not going to shoot that poorly again so you have to capitalize when a superstar puts up a clunker like that. That was Dallas' best chance and they held on to steal one.
Yea, I said to my friend that we could steal one if OKC had an off-night, and both KD and Westbrook had one and we took advantage.....just barely.

We might get a 2nd game, but that's about it. Still, the last couple of seasons have shown what a heck of a coach Carlisle is, and what a shame it is that we can't give him any real talent to work with.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
[MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION]

Your thoughts on one of the most pathetic individual defensive performances ever seen in a playoff game by your boy Harden?

That was all-time bad.
I watched the first half and saw a couple of plays that left me shaking my head in disgust. Most notably was that play where Harden let Barnes blow right past him for an easy baseline dunk.

That was pathetic. He didn't even make an effort to recover.... just gave away free points.

It's the f'ing playoffs. Where's the extra effort?

Jiggyfly

Banned
[MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION]

Your thoughts on one of the most pathetic individual defensive performances ever seen in a playoff game by your boy Harden?

That was all-time bad.
The whole team has given up.

But still calling that worse defensive performance ever is bullshit, Dirk was worse last year in that dunkathon by the Rockets.

You can say what you want but there are not 10 players in the NBA I take over him.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The whole team has given up.

But still calling that worse defensive performance ever is bullshit, Dirk was worse last year in that dunkathon by the Rockets.

You can say what you want but there are not 10 players in the NBA I take over him.
The difference is Dirk is an old stiff who wasn't much of a defensive player to begin with.

James Harden just flat out doesn't give a shit. That's a HUGE difference.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
If they were going to give up they should have before the playoffs. They must have playoff clauses in their contracts.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The difference is Dirk is an old stiff who wasn't much of a defensive player to begin with.

If you say so.

I can put together a reel of Chandler Parsons doing the same thing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you say so.

I can put together a reel of Chandler Parsons doing the same thing.
:lol

Apparently, you're missing the entire point.

Chandler Parsons isn't being paid to be the mega superstar that leads his team to a championship. He doesn't go around clamoring for MVP votes or tell people he's a top 2 or 3 player in the game.

Does that excuse Parsons from not playing defense? No, but if you can't see why a guy like Harden is being heavily criticized and why he should be held to a different standard than a dinosaur like Dirk or a nice role player like Parsons, then there's no need to continue this discussion further with you because you either don't get it or refuse to.

I'd be furious if my franchise "superstar" was making no effort whatsoever to play defense. It isn't just that Harden is bad defensively, it's that he doesn't even try.

1bigfan13

Staff member

Yep there's a huge difference between an older guy playing like that versus a young guy just entering his prime.

I completely agree with Shaq's assessment of Harden. He lacks leadership skills. He'll go down as just another great scorer who will probably never win a title.

You want your star player to set the tone for the rest of the team. Teams usually take their cue from the star player. If the star player busts his ass on defense then typically the rest of the team will fall in line and give the extra effort as well.

That's why I wouldn't blame the other Rockets players for being a little lackadaisical. If I'm getting that kind of effort from my star player at this time of year I may be a little hesitant to hustle myself.

Durant & Westbrook have their defensive warts as well but I've never questioned their level of effort in a post-season game. They may have a defensive lapse for a play or two but nothing like Harden.

The best way I can describe Harden's defense is he plays as if he's carrying 5 fouls and is scared of fouling out.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yep there's a huge difference between an older guy playing like that versus a young guy just entering his prime.

I completely agree with Shaq's assessment of Harden. He lacks leadership skills. He'll go down as just another great scorer who will probably never win a title.

You want your star player to set the tone for the rest of the team. Teams usually take their que from the star player. If the star player busts his ass on defense then typically the rest of the team will fall in line and give the extra effort as well.

That's why I wouldn't blame the other Rockets players for being a little lackadaisical. If I'm getting that kind of effort from my star player at this time of year I may be a little hesitant to hustle myself.

Durant & Westbrook have their defensive warts as well but I've never questioned their level of effort in a post-season game. They may have a defensive lapse for a play or two but nothing like Harden.

The best way I can describe Harden's defense is he plays as if he's carrying 5 fouls and is scared of fouling out.
It's been long rumored dating back to the offseason that a number of players don't see eye to eye with Harden and a big reason why they had a lot of in-fighting was because they felt Harden wasn't being held to the same standard in practice and in film study as they were.

It's easy to see that being true.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

Apparently, you're missing the entire point.

Chandler Parsons isn't being paid to be the mega superstar that leads his team to a championship. He doesn't go around clamoring for MVP votes or tell people he's a top 2 or 3 player in the game.

Does that excuse Parsons from not playing defense? No, but if you can't see why a guy like Harden is being heavily criticized and why he should be held to a different standard than a dinosaur like Dirk or a nice role player like Parsons, then there's no need to continue this discussion further with you because you either don't get it or refuse to.

I'd be furious if my franchise "superstar" was making no effort whatsoever to play defense. It isn't just that Harden is bad defensively, it's that he doesn't even try.
Chandler parsons is making about a 1 million less than Harden so at least get that part right.

Also Parsons is not leading the NBA in minutes played while being the only playmaker and scorer on that team.

Chandler is also not averaging 29-7.5-6 so let's stop acting like Harden is standing around with his thumb up his ass or just chucking jumpers.

Yes Harden needs to play better defense and give a more consistent effort but he is still a top 10 player in this league I bet I could show Durant playing the same kind of lazy defense from time to time.

Hell even Lebron has been shown doing it.

It's bullshit to say he he doesn't even try to play defense it's that hyperbole that I have issue with.

I understand the criticism and a lot of it is deserved, it's you with your worse defense in history bullshit I have problems with, Like Dirk has been giving maximum defensive effort at any point in his career.

Jiggyfly

Banned

You want your star player to set the tone for the rest of the team. Teams usually take their que from the star player. If the star player busts his ass on defense then typically the rest of the team will fall in line and give the extra effort as well.

He had 4 fouls most of the second half so there was that.

This has been a bad year for him and he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for the teams woes this year.

Maybe he is just not that guy as a leader but this narrative like he is just some lazy bum who is only out for his is bullshit.

Barkley was very much like this yet he is considered a all time great why is that?

And why is Durant nor getting this much flack for non leadership skills he has had much more talent around him?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

This has been a bad year for him and he has to shoulder a lot of the blame for the teams woes this year.

Maybe he is just not that guy as a leader but this narrative like he is just some lazy bum who is only out for his is bullshit.

Barkley was very much like this yet he is considered a all time great why is that?

And why is Durant nor getting this much flack for non leadership skills he has had much more talent around him?
Harden had the same issues last year in the playoffs and the year before in the Portland series.

The guy has the reputation as a lazy defender who doesn't give a shit. You're acting like this is something new with him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
So yea, you don't get it.

Moving on.
You right I don't get it.

I don't get why you are bitching about Harden when you got a guy on your own team making about the same money and giving your team even less.

Or how you were so far up Derek Ross ass when he was just as terrible a defensive player.

What you don't get is that I see the issues he has but I am more than willing to take those when he can do the other things he does while realizing he is still young and has shown recently that he can be a better all around player.

Do you get that?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think you have me confused with Simp.

But I get it, Harden is your hero and he's done nothing wrong.

Noted.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Harden had the same issues last year in the playoffs and the year before in the Portland series.

The guy has the reputation as a lazy defender who doesn't give a shit. You're acting like this is something new with him.
Harden did not have the same issues last year in the playoffs and it shows you are just hating right now, he was widely considered a much better defender last year and all of the metrics backed it up.

I never said this was something new I said he has shown the ability to be better.

I don't know what it is about people like you that have to exaggerate everything to make a point.

But tell me again why it does not matter with Parsons because he makes a million dollars less.

1bigfan13

Staff member

KD is not getting as much criticism because he at least TRIES. TRY being the key word. KD's fundamentals aren't great and he's a slightly above average defender at best, but at least the effort is there. Especially in the post season.

I can understand taking a play or two off and coasting during the regular season but we're in the playoffs now. There's no excuse for the consistent lack of effort Harden has displayed. None.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
KD is not getting as much criticism because he at least TRIES. TRY being the key word. KD's fundamentals aren't great and he's a slightly above average defender at best, but at least the effort is there. Especially in the post season.

I can understand taking a play or two off and coasting during the regular season but we're in the playoffs now. There's no excuse for consistent lack of effort Harden has displayed. None.
I am not coming here to act like there are no issues with his defense or that he does not get lazy but he does try more times than not.

And if you think Durant is an above average defender in any way, that tells a lot.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Looks like Thibodeau is officially joining the T-Wolves.

I guess when you haven't sniffed the post season in over a decade you get desperate.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Looks like Thibodeau is officially joining the T-Wolves.

I guess when you haven't sniffed the post season in over a decade you get desperate.
That's a great hire and a good fit, IMO.

He's an excellent coach and the guy who can help mold a great negativity for a bunch of young guys like Minnesota has.

Top Bottom