Week 12 Thanksgiving Chatter Thread | Cowboys vs. Panthers | 11/26/2015

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well we know the current HC sucks. But I guess fearing the next hire is reason to keep a proven disaster?
We don't know that he sucks. What we know is that last time he had a healthy QB he went 12-4.

If he proves incapable of making the playoffs with similar talent, then it's probably time to try something else.

data

Forbes #1
We don't know that he sucks. What we know is that last time he had a healthy QB he went 12-4.

If he proves incapable of making the playoffs with similar talent, then it's probably time to try something else.
In 2016, our talent won't be similar to 2014.

I'd give Garrett 3 more years and, injuries or not, if not at least 5-11 in one of those seasons, I'd fire him.

It needs to be a head coach who knows football and can fix the offense and defense when it's not getting the job done. Not a head coach who just stands there looking clueless when things are going wrong.

Obviously you bring in new coordinators as well.
I would love to have Bruce Arians as a head coach on this team. He worked wonders on the Colts and the Cardinals. They are tougher team with him as coach.

Boy, well I can't wait for Jerry's next idea when it comes to head coaches.
Well what would you prefer? Stay status quo and keep reeling out 8-8 seasons if were so lucky? Garrett blew his wad last season. It's never gonna get any better, there will be a few sprinkled seasons where they overachieve and get everyone thinking they are gonna win it all only to disappoint us again. Bad coaching has been apparent all season more so in the off season after shit was thrown at the wall at the RB position. After seeing how they had success last year and to just leave that position bone dry is the most telling thing there is about him as a coach. I really don't see him as smart as he thinks he is. Hell I'm not the smartest person but I know what works and what doesn't!! I would do what it took to duplicate what worked before! It's common fucking sense!! They need a REAL Head Coach who brings in a different offensive mind for coordinator. Hell Witten only has two routes to run and the Y route is so easy to defend, like tonight. I saw that coming from the couch.

No way.

He will continue to be incompetent.

I just hope he has an epic bad, like 3-13 that makes Jerry at least think.
Well we do know that at most we are back to 8-8 again or worse. It's Garrett's magical number. Average Coach who built an average team that overachieved last year. Garrett doesn't learn from what worked to what didn't last year. 1 step forward 15 steps back...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

You have gone off the deep end with this. If he had any ounce of coaching ability we would have won at least 1 game out of the 7. I mean odds are that with any amount of coaching ability he could have pulled one win, right? As far as last year's team didn't Wade win 13 games one season? He is taken off of playcalling duties. Told to walk around and clap. We finally start running the ball and win 12 games. Yeah. He had a lot to do with that.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Well we do know that at most we are back to 8-8 again or worse. It's Garrett's magical number. Average Coach who built an average team that overachieved last year. Garrett doesn't learn from what worked to what didn't last year. 1 step forward 15 steps back...

This team is not going eight and eight.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You have gone off the deep end with this. If he had any ounce of coaching ability we would have won at least 1 game out of the 7. I mean odds are that with any amount of coaching ability he could have pulled one win, right? As far as last year's team didn't Wade win 13 games one season? He is taken off of playcalling duties. Told to walk around and clap. We finally start running the ball and win 12 games. Yeah. He had a lot to do with that.
Ayuh.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We will go 4-12 this season.

Because that will make us 16-16 over the last two years, and clearly the .500 Garrett universe must be corrected.

Rev

Staff member
4-12. Even Campo won 5 with less talent.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You have gone off the deep end with this.
Actually, it's quite the opposite.

If he had any ounce of coaching ability we would have won at least 1 game out of the 7.
Oh, so if we had won 1 out of 7, we aren't sitting here having this conversation? Then he'd have coaching ability?

I mean odds are that with any amount of coaching ability he could have pulled one win, right?
That is a dumb way to look at it. I'm not going to sit here and celebrate him as a genius if he can Mr Wizard us into a 2-5 record with Romo out instead of 0-7. To me, that means jack and shit, because for the vast majority of the time he will be coaching, he will be doing so with a starting caliber QB that he planned to have around.

Judging him based on his adjust-gameplan-on-the-fly abilities is not the same as judging his coaching abilities as a whole. And since being without your starting QB happens once every like, 6 seasons, and would derail almost every team to something like a 2-5 record, I'm not going to go flying off the deep end that we only went 0-7.

As far as last year's team didn't Wade win 13 games one season? He is taken off of playcalling duties. Told to walk around and clap. We finally start running the ball and win 12 games. Yeah. He had a lot to do with that.
Yes, he did have a substantial amount to do with that. And the fact that you refuse to give him any credit shows how off the deep end you are.

If you want to have a rational conversation about this subject, I'm totally willing, and we can start with the fact that I'd agree with you he hasn't done an acceptable job of coaching this team this season, Romo or no. There are far too many things wrong that would still be going wrong even if Romo were here for us to be on the same level as last year. I see regression and that is a valid point.

But he deserves one more chance to get it right after winning the division last year, and if you think most coaches who just came off their first division crown wouldn't get that chance, you are delusional.

The Romo injury is a further legitimate excuse for him.

The "he went 0-7 instead of 1-6 or 2-5" is just crackpot silly. :lol

Lets leave it at the obvious... it doesn't look like we would have taken a step forward this year with Romo healthy, and very possibly would have taken a step back. Next year that will have to be reversed, or it IS a serious indictment of his actual head coaching abilities... inability to get his (fully healthy) team moving in the right direction.

You don't want to give him that chance simply because you don't like him, but the vast majority of owners who liked a coach enough to give him a five year extension last year is never going to run their coach off for losing his starting QB the very next year. If you think otherwise you're the one not being rational.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
I never said that he would be fired. I do agree with you on that because I never expect Jerry to do the right thing. Right thing meaning that we have a coach that can coach up to the expectations of the Cowboys. He hasnt before last year and even last year is debatable depending on how much you want to live in fairyland.

Im not going to let him off the hook for the 7 games just because he lost his qb. It sucks but that is where coaching becomes even more important. Its still your job to win games and even he will tell you that.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The ironic thing is that losing out and getting a high draft pick is exactly what we all want to do now, so we don't even want to see him coach it up and go 6-10.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
We're going three and thirteen and Schmitty's in here singing "stand by your man". Unbelievable.

Top Bottom