JJT: Improved J.J. Wilcox delivering big hits on regular basis

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Improved J.J. Wilcox delivering big hits on regular basis
8:30 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas - J.J. Wilcox has needed every bit of his four seasons with the Dallas Cowboys to become a difference-maker.

Understand, that's what he is these days.

Wilcox won't start Sunday against the Green Bay Packers in an NFC divisional playoff game, but his potential to deliver a game-changing play makes him a player to watch.

He's provided the Cowboys with a physical presence they haven't had since safety Roy Williams was an annual Pro Bowl participant a decade ago.

"There's nothing like making big hit. It's like getting a new car. I live for it," Wilcox said. "It's like Orlando [Scandrick] getting a pick. Or Dez [Bryant] catching a TD or Dak [Prescott] throwing one.

"That's what gets me going -- and it's contagious."

Few envisioned Wilcox's contribution when training camp began because the Cowboys moved 2015 No. 1 draft choice

Byron Jones from cornerback to safety.

The Cowboys drafted another safety, Kavon Frazier, in the sixth round seemingly putting Wilcox's roster spot in jeopardy.

"I've used all of that for motivation," Wilcox said.

Coach Jason Garrett liked his progress and started giving him about 20 plays at safety each week because he had earned the opportunity.

When Barry Church broke his forearm in Week 3, it gave Wilcox an opportunity to solidify his role in defense.

He has 49 tackles this season with an interception, a forced fumble, and six pass deflections.

But it would be wrong to measure his contribution just by looking at stats. When Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers throws passes in the middle of the field, his receivers will know Wilcox's location.

Otherwise, they will feel his power.

The interesting aspect of Wilcox is that he's the kind of player the Cowboys wouldn't draft these days because he came from a small school (Georgia Southern) where he played running back and receiver before moving to safety before his senior year.

And if they did draft him, they wouldn't have done it in the third round like the Cowboys did with him in 2012.

The Cowboys prefer productive players from Power 5 conferences because it usually makes for a smoother transition to the NFL.

At times, Wilcox still takes poor angles when defending the deep ball but it doesn't happen as frequently as it did. No longer is he frequently out of control, when making a tackle so he misses fewer.

When he missed three games in December with a deep thigh bruise, the Cowboys missed him. The game has finally slowed down for Wilcox. He's making plays instead of mistakes.

"I've just been working, chopping wood every day," said Wilcox, using his hands to demonstrate the motion. "I don't feel like I've found my niche yet, but I feel like I'm going in the right direction and what I'm doing is working."

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He has gotten better, for sure, but we still need a dynamic player back there.

We haven't had a true difference-maker at safety since Rooooooooy got fat and stopped caring.

We've had some solid seasons from the S position at times, like Ken Hamlin 2007 and Sensabaugh in 2009, but nothing too special.

Imagine how good this defense could be if we had an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry/Landon Collins type back there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

We haven't had a true difference-maker at safety since Rooooooooy got fat and stopped caring.

We've had some solid seasons from the S position at times, like Ken Hamlin 2007 and Sensabaugh in 2009, but nothing too special.

Imagine how good this defense could be if we had an Earl Thomas/Eric Berry/Landon Collins type back there.
Yeah Wilcox has a place on my roster but mostly as a third safety/special teams guy. There is nothing wrong with that but he will never be a Earl Thomas/Eric Berry/Landon Collins type where the QB is literally looking for them on the field and actively trying to avoid them. Ultimately our secondary just needs more guys who can catch the ball. Love Byron Jones but he will never be an upper level safety if he keeps letting balls clang off his hands. Hell he does a great job of getting in position to knock passes away. I just wish he'd take the next step of putting two hands up there and picking the ball off instead of just trying to swat it with one arm.

I'd love to see Desmond King in Dallas. I think he is everything we need in the secondary. Played corner but he can tackle like a safety. Has hands better then a lot of WRs. Only 3 picks this year because teams avoided him but in 2015 he had 8 picks. I'd love to see more guys like that added to our secondary.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
We haven't had a true difference-maker at safety since Rooooooooy started dating one of those Destiny's Chilrens.
Edited for truth.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Landon Collins does not belong on that list, until he proves he can do it in multiple seasons he is still suspect.

The high int trap is one we fell into with Sensabaugh and Hamlin.

I need to see him do more stuff coverage wise before he gets up there with the elite guys.

Most of his int's have been on terrible passes.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I thought that's what Byron jones was supposed to be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Landon Collins does not belong on that list, until he proves he can do it in multiple seasons he is still suspect.

The high int trap is one we fell into with Sensabaugh and Hamlin.

I need to see him do more stuff coverage wise before he gets up there with the elite guys.

Most of his int's have been on terrible passes.
That is true. Sometimes a safety will have big INT numbers based more on luck then actual play. Hell I remember one year Bruce Carter had like 5 picks for us. It was more a fluke then him being some sort of master in coverage. Still long term he looks like a really good SS type. But he doesn't have the deep range of the other two guys mentioned.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He is still developing, he has looked way better at getting his hands on balls this year. But he still needs to take the next step. He also hasn't shown the feel for zone coverage yet. He shows more in man coverage then he does as a deep safety.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When you are a jack of all trades you become a master of none.

Now there's no more nonsense about his fungibility to CB, he can finally focus on honing his craft at FS.

Lot of wasted time, though.

townsend

Banned
Byron Jones has never shown himself to be a playmaker. He got about 2 int every year, but never had more than two in a given year.

Ed Reed, who was taken at about the same spot, had 17 interceptions in the last two seasons, Sean Taylor had 14.

shane

DCC 4Life
I think we will be fine with Jones, Wilcox and Church moving forward. Claiborne's injury will probably let us keep him on the cheap too. Secondary seems to be finally turning around.

Top Bottom