2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Where did I say anything about Trump and whether or not he should be scrutinized, you fucking transparent troll? All I asked was if he thought that Obama wouldn't have any idea where his money was invested.
Ok Alex.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You must be drunk. I asked BiPo on his post, if he had a source about the country of Taiwan paying taxes to keep the carrier jobs because I understood the state of Indiana gave a tax break to keep the jobs. This is something he posted. You need to keep your commentary straight. I had no reference to the President. Towns wasn't part of that.
MY bad I had no idea you did not know the Taiwan part had nothing to do with the Carrier part.

But I forgot you have an issue with the google machine.

Sometimes I guess I give you to much credit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
‘He got up there and lied his a– off': Carrier union leader on Trump’s big deal 8 / 23

The Washington Post
Danielle Paquette
14 hrs ago

The Secret Service agents told the Carrier workers to stay put, so Chuck Jones sat in the factory conference room for nearly three hours, waiting for president-elect Donald Trump. He’d grown used to this suspense.

Seven months earlier, at a campaign rally in Indianapolis, Trump had pledged to save the plant’s jobs, most of which were slated to move to Mexico. Then the businessman won the election, and the 1,350 workers whose paychecks were on the line wondered if he’d keep his promise.

Jones, president of the United Steelworkers 1999, which represents Carrier employees, felt optimistic when Trump announced last week that he’d reached a deal with the factory’s parent company, United Technologies, to preserve 1,100 of the Indianapolis jobs — u ntil the union leader heard from Carrier that only 730 of the production jobs would stay and 550 of his members would lose their livelihoods, after all.

At the Dec. 1 meeting, where Trump was supposed to lay out the details, Jones hoped he would explain himself.

“But he got up there,” Jones said Tuesday, “and, for whatever reason, lied his a-- off.”

In front of a crowd of about 150 supervisors, production workers and reporters, Trump praised Carrier and its parent company, United Technologies. "Now they’re keeping — actually the number’s over 1,100 people,” he said, “which is so great.”

Jones wondered why the president-elect appeared to be inflating the victory. Trump and Pence, he said, could take credit for rescuing 800 of the Carrier jobs, including non-union positions.

Of the nearly 1,400 workers at the Indianapolis plant, however, 350 in research and development were never scheduled to leave, Jones said. Another 80 jobs, which Trump seemed to include in his figure, were non-union clerical and supervisory positions. (A Carrier spokesperson confirmed the numbers.) And now the president-elect was applauding the company and giving it millions of dollars in tax breaks, even as hundreds of Indianapolis workers prepared to be laid off.

“Trump and Pence, they pulled a dog and pony show on the numbers,” said Jones, who voted for Hillary Clinton but called her "the better of two evils." “I almost threw up in my mouth.”

Spokespeople for Trump did not respond to the Post’s request for comment.

In exchange for downsizing its move south of the border, United Technologies would receive $7 million in tax credits from Indiana, to be paid in $700,000 installments each year for a decade. Carrier, meanwhile, agreed to invest $16 million in its Indiana operation. United Technologies still plans to send 700 factory jobs from Huntington, Ind, to Monterrey, Mexico.

T.J. Bray, 32, one of the workers who will keep his job, sat in the front row during the Dec. 1 meeting as Trump spoke. A corporate employee had guided him specifically to that seat, he said, so he suspected he might be part of Trump’s remarks.

On Carrier's makeshift stage, Trump paraphrased the words of an unnamed Carrier employee who talked to an NBC reporter after the election. Bray was the only Carrier employee who had appeared on television that day. Apparently, he realized, Trump was saying he inspired the deal.

“He said something to the effect, ‘No, we’re not leaving, because Donald Trump promised us that we’re not leaving,’ and I never thought I made that promise,” Trump said. “Not with Carrier. I made it for everybody else. I didn’t make it really for Carrier.”

In fact, Trump did make that commitment, and it's on video. "They're going to call me and they are going to say 'Mr. President, Carrier has decided to stay in Indiana,'” Trump had said at the April rally. "One hundred percent -- that's what is going to happen."

Last week, though, the president-elect told the Carrier crowd he hadn't meant that literally.

“I was talking about Carrier like all other companies from here on in," Trump said. "Because they made the decision a year and a half ago. But he believed that was — and I could understand it. I actually said — I didn’t make it — when they played that, I said, 'I did make it, but I didn’t mean it quite that way.'”

Trump asked if the employee he’d been referencing was in the audience. A woman yelled that her son was, and Trump began to compliment that son, though he hadn't spoken in the television news segment. (Bray said that a United Technologies spokesperson later told him Trump meant to single him out.)

“I was confused when he was like, ‘I wasn’t talking about Carrier,’” Bray said. “You made this whole campaign about Carrier, and we're still losing a lot of jobs.”

Bray clapped that day, anyway, for the 800 that would remain on American soil.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So a bunch of Indiana jobs were saved? Good for Indiana. I hope that will be the first of many more to come for the sake our economy. I don't really care about the rest of the noise involved...just the good deals that are made. Big surprise - Trump is a blow-hard. Never saw that one coming.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
MY bad I had no idea you did not know the Taiwan part had nothing to do with the Carrier part.

But I forgot you have an issue with the google machine.

Sometimes I guess I give you to much credit.
I did know. Did you read what I said? It appeared in BIPO's post that he was including Taiwan as part of the carrier deal the was he structured his sentence. I wasn't even talking about the lobs or Trump. I was referencing where the tax breaks came from. You are just looking for something to jump on because that's what you are.

Last edited:

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Just out of curiosity, what are the numbers you expect to improve with Trump? And what are your expectations?
Unemployment rate?
Inflation?
GDP?
Interest rates?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just out of curiosity, what are the numbers you expect to improve with Trump? And what are your expectations?
Unemployment rate?
Inflation?
GDP?
Interest rates?
The President doesn't have as much to do with the economy as what a lot of people think. One element of your question is interest rates. As a practical matter this aspect of the economy is controlled by the Federal Reserve. They determine and set the interest rates for funds utilized by commercial banks. There could be contingencies that influence the Fed to form policies and programs however that are promoted by the President and submitted to Congress for their consideration.

The biggest thing the President can influence toward the economy is tax proposals. Again Congress has to enact these programs but lowering tax rates for business is probably the greatest incentive for the economy to improve. In this scenario employment numbers, GDP, and inflation all follow suit.

There is no way to know what will happen but if Congress acts positively to Presidental policy suggestions there will be changes. What changes are recommended from the President however really has no effect on economic measures unless Congress and the Federal Reserve react to his proposals.

The President gets too much credit or blame for the economy.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The President doesn't have as much to do with the economy as what a lot of people think. One element of your question is interest rates. As a practical matter this aspect of the economy is controlled by the Federal Reserve. They determine and set the interest rates for funds utilized by commercial banks. There could be contingencies that influence the Fed to form policies and programs however that are promoted by the President and submitted to Congress for their consideration.

The biggest thing the President can influence toward the economy is tax proposals. Again Congress has to enact these programs but lowering tax rates for business is probably the greatest incentive for the economy to improve. In this scenario employment numbers, GDP, and inflation all follow suit.

There is no way to know what will happen but if Congress acts positively to Presidental policy suggestions there will be changes. What changes are recommended from the President however really has no effect on economic measures unless Congress and the Federal Reserve react to his proposals.

The President gets too much credit or blame for the economy.
I thought one of the driving issues this election was the economy and how Obama had run it into the ground?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I thought one of the driving issues this election was the economy and how Obama had run it into the ground?
That's campaign rhetoric because a large part of the public thinks the President causes all these things to happen. The average individual has no idea how the economic structure is influenced. It has changed a lot in the past 20 or so years with the international influences and the investment structures. It too complex to explain on a chat board. Even with my years in banking and finance as well as working with a government agency who investigates bank failures and examines them also, it is hard for me to keep up. The investment area that commercial banks and S &Ls are doing now was unheard of 20 years ago and it looks almost illegal but it is now a very entrenched part of the economic structure.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That's campaign rhetoric because a large part of the public thinks the President causes all these things to happen. The average individual has no idea how the economic structure is influenced. It has changed a lot in the past 20 or so years with the international influences and the investment structures. It too complex to explain on a chat board. Even with my years in banking and finance as well as working with a government agency who investigates bank failures and examines them also, it is hard for me to keep up. The investment area that commercial banks and S &Ls are doing now was unheard of 20 years ago and it looks almost illegal but it is now a very entrenched part of the economic structure.
So if it's not the economy what do you think people were voting for when they elected Trump? What are you expecting from Trump?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if it's not the economy what do you think people were voting for when they elected Trump? What are you expecting from Trump?
I'd say the governments fiscal policy has a massive impact on the economy. Especially when you have a federal government as massive as ours.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
People are expecting him to propose ideas to congress that will get the economy turned around and cut the waste of some of the government programs. He is not an entrenched politician and that has an appeal to voters because they expect him to try to structure government programs like a business and not like a bureaucrat or politician.

Whether this will happen is anyone's guess but that seems to be the hoped for expectations.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'd say the governments fiscal policy has a massive impact on the economy. Especially when you have a federal government as massive as ours.
That is a huge part of it. Is Trump going to be a W type of Republican that believes in huge government? Probably so.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
People are expecting him to propose ideas to congress that will get the economy turned around and cut the waste of some of the government programs. He is not an entrenched politician and that has an appeal to voters because they expect him to try to structure government programs like a business and not like a bureaucrat or politician.

Whether this will happen is anyone's guess but that seems to be the hoped for expectations.
I doubt he will. It would take 20 years to totally change that culture in Washington.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is a huge part of it. Is Trump going to be a W type of Republican that believes in huge government? Probably so.
People don't seem to understand how a massive government chokes out the private sector and kills economic efficiency. It's such a short sighted approach.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think he will initially. I think he will attempt to try some things he thinks are the way to do it but Congress is a jealous group that isn't fond of anyone who tries to get out ahead of them.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
When in doubt, go pro-military, pro-veteran. A large enough segment of both sides believe that national defense and the military needs to be priority #1 in national politics that you can run an administration on concentrating on its "problems" without ever drawing severe scrutiny.

Jiggyfly

Banned
When in doubt, go pro-military, pro-veteran. A large enough segment of both sides believe that national defense and the military needs to be priority #1 in national politics that you can run an administration on concentrating on its "problems" without ever drawing severe scrutiny.
Good point but Trump has always been a little hawkish concerning foreign affairs throughout his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom