Music Thread...

hstour

Brand New Member
Just because many years ago, I did sport a foot tall blue mohawk.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Just because many years ago, I did sport a foot tall blue mohawk.

Great song from a great band. This live version probably isn't the best representation of it, but it is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Last edited:
D

Deuce

Kurt Cobain or Jack White might have something to say about that. Hell the resurgence of Johnny Cash in 1994 until his death in 2003 might be in disagreement.
Jack White is great, but he's not the prodigy that the other two are. I would put Dave Grohl up there with him too.

Cobain sucked.

hstour

Brand New Member
Great song from a great band. This live version probably isn't the best representation of it, but it is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Not really a live version. That was music video circa late '70's, early 80's.

Here is a live version of one of my favorite DK songs (My standard ringtone).

hstour

Brand New Member
Jack White is great, but he's not the prodigy that the other two are. I would put Dave Grohl up there with him too.

Cobain sucked.
Really? The man captured in lyrics the thoughts of an entire generation. That is not "sucked."

D

Deuce

Really? The man captured in lyrics the thoughts of an entire generation. That is not "sucked."
:lol

What lyrics do you speak of? Most of their songs were nonsense mixed with the catchy grunge sound.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

Please tell me I am not the only one that enjoys this...
I don't know, Carl. You may be own your own with this one. I like the Joy Division song though. I listened to them a bit years ago. I got really into New Order's 'Substance' & discovered Joy Division that way.

hstour

Brand New Member
Along those lines, I think the Beatles are vastly overrated.
I let this go when I first read it quite some time ago, but my 16 year old daughter and I were going over this thread and she said I had to say something.

The most prolific writers of melodies and lyrics to ever have been in the music industry are the duo of McCartney and Lennon. They wrote a ton of stuff that was never even recorded.

And Sgt. Pepper's changed the way way that music was recorded. Now give props to George Martin for that, but ask any of The Beatles and they will (and have) said that George was every bit a part of the band as any of the 4 of them. The introduction of the "studio album" with overdubbing and inclusion of separately recorded tracts as mainstream recording techniques all began with Sgt. Pepper's.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Not really a live version. That was music video circa late '70's, early 80's.

Here is a live version of one of my favorite DK songs (My standard ringtone).

Dead Kennedys albums were coming out just a handful of years before my time but I got turned onto them as a teenager & was completely blown away. I wore the hell out of my Holiday Inn Cambodia tee shirt until it was eventually ripped beyond repair at a Jesus Lizard show in the 90s. :headbang

hstour

Brand New Member
My 16 year old wanted me to point out that there is no comparison of the Bowie in the last 30 years:

With the Bowie of 40+ years ago:

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Of course you can't speak of drummers without mentioning Mike Portnoy. One of the greatest of all time.

He and Neil Peart are probably the two cleanest and most artistically accurate drummers ever.
I'd put Jeff Porcaro right there with them.

If he was alive, I mean.

:unsure

hstour

Brand New Member
I'd put Jeff Porcaro right there with them.

If he was alive, I mean.

:unsure
While not "artistically accurate" as the perfect fit for the band and the sounds he could make come from a drum set, I'd put John Bohnam in there.

But if you want artistically accurate as your measuring stick, then you can't exclude "The Inspiration" Buddy Rich (and this was when he was much older):

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
Or maybe a little Gene Krupa vs Buddy Rich on a 5 drum set (some of the best drummers are jazz drummers):

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
^Thats excellent.

Buddys speed is probably unmatched by anyone.

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
Not only his speed, but his ability to switch to the brushes and fit the sound into brass section.

He could play it either way. Soft and as a background part or hard and fast right out front as the main instrument.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Buddy Rich definitely was and is amazing.

Top Bottom