CNN: Critics blame parents, Cincinnati Zoo for gorilla's death

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The concept of a zoo is a waste of space and time.
I believe I side with you on this. My reasons may differ however. I don't like to see animals caged up. I even have strong feelings about dogs being caged in a back yard. It's just a hang up of mine I guess.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I guess I'm in the minority here because I'm giving the parents the benefit of the doubt here. I mean it's very easy to turn your back on your kid and the child be gone in a blink of an eye. I know that I lost my child at a Walmart as well as a grocery store. She was found within minutes but the state of panic was set in. I can see how it could happen at the zoo. I'm sure these parents are beating themselves up more than anyone else can and now everyone else is just piling on.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I guess I'm in the minority here because I'm giving the parents the benefit of the doubt here. I mean it's very easy to turn your back on your kid and the child be gone in a blink of an eye. I know that I lost my child at a Walmart as well as a grocery store. She was found within minutes but the state of panic was set in. I can see how it could happen at the zoo. I'm sure these parents are beating themselves up more than anyone else can and now everyone else is just piling on.
Exactly right.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
True. It's easy to point the finger at the parents but a lot of very good parents can probably tell a lot of stories about how children can disappear in a heart beat. Especially at the age level of this particular youngster.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

You're not wrong generally, but the things I've heard and read about this particular case is that the parents were especially negligent.

kidd

DCC 4Life
You're not wrong generally, but the things I've heard and read about this particular case is that the parents were especially negligent.
I'm not trying to argue but what in particular have you read? I've only read that the dad, who wasn't even with the family, had a criminal record which really has nothing to do with this situation. I've not heard or seen anything that said that this Mom was especially negligent.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not trying to argue but what in particular have you read? I've only read that the dad, who wasn't even with the family, had a criminal record which really has nothing to do with this situation. I've not heard or seen anything that said that this Mom was especially negligent.

I've heard the mom was on her phone, and also that kid told her he was going to do it beforehand, which should certainly raise a red flag. Can't remember what else.

May or may not be true, but it does call the parenting into question.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard the mom was on her phone, and also that kid told her he was going to do it beforehand, which should certainly raise a red flag. Can't remember what else.

May or may not be true, but it does call the parenting into question.
Kimberly Ann Perkins O'Connor, who saw the incident, said the boy told his mother he was going to get into the moat. The mother told her son to behave before she became distracted by other children with her, O'Connor said.
"The little boy himself had already been talking about wanting to go in, go in, get in the water and his mother is like, 'No you're not, no you're not,' " O'Connor said. "Her attention was drawn away for seconds, maybe a minute, and then he was up and in before you knew it."

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:lol

Top Bottom