Machota - Garrett: Vaughan ‘a lot better’ in Year 2; ‘He wants to be a great player’

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Dustin Vaughan ‘a lot better’ in Year 2; ‘He wants to be a great player’

Jon Machota Email jmachota@dallasnews.com

Published: June 4, 2015 5:44 pm

IRVING — During Tuesday’s organized team activities at Valley Ranch, Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett gave some important advice to second-year quarterback Dustin Vaughan.

“He encouraged me to go out and have a smile on my face, to have fun, but to be a leader, to be a communicator on the field and to be confident in what I say and what I do on the field, whether it’s wrong or right,” Vaughan recalled Wednesday. “Be confident, get everybody on the same page. He’s really big about that. He’s really helped me kind of develop into that quarterback that I’m still trying to develop into.

“It’s more demonstrative, more getting everybody in the huddle like they’re supposed to be in the huddle, and looking for perfection. Whether you meet it or not, it’s looking for that perfection.”

Vaughan, an undrafted rookie free agent last year out of West Texas A&M, appreciated the guidance from not only his head coach, but a former NFL quarterback.

Buried on the depth chart last season behind Tony Romo and Brandon Weeden, Vaughan was focused on just staying on the team. This year, he says he’s trying to have a role.

“I think he’s gotten a lot better,” Garrett said. “I don’t think there’s any question about that. It’s a huge jump for anybody. I told our team the other day, you could be a four-time All-American, a four-time All-SEC and walk in here and it’s a huge jump. It’s a huge transition for a rookie to come into the National Football League. And then you kind of go even further when you’re talking about guys going from smaller-school situations and then particularly at that position. So, a long way to go for him right at the outset but he’s worked very hard. It’s important to him. He wants to be a great player.

“He needs to play. He needs to play at practice and play in preseason games. That’s going to make his biggest growth. But he’s certainly a different player than he was a year ago.”

The 6-5, 235-pound 24-year-old didn’t play in any regular season games in 2014. He appeared in all four preseason contests, completing 22 of 43 passes for 212 yards, one touchdown and no interceptions.

Vaughan said the biggest eye-opening experience of his rookie year came in the first preseason game in San Diego.

“The first play, I’ll never forget it, I was a split second too late on my throw and it almost got intercepted for a touchdown,” he said of the fourth-quarter pass intended for Chris Boyd. “From that moment on, I was like, ‘OK, this game is faster. I need to think quicker, I need to think on my feet and be more confident in my decisions because you don’t have time to second-guess things here.’”

To get better acclimated with his receivers and improve as a passer, Vaughan was throwing to players at Valley Ranch before OTAs started. He intends to do the same between the end of minicamp and the start of training camp.

Romo did the same when he was trying to make the Cowboys roster out of Eastern Illinois early in his career. And considering that Romo is the only undrafted starting quarterback in the NFL, who also came from a small school, Vaughan couldn’t ask for a better example to follow.

“More than anything, he gives hope to guys to come in and be able to take a position like that,” Vaughan said. “It’s intimidating when you come in and you’re like, ‘I played Division II, am I good enough?’ The best thing is you get to see an example every single day of somebody who did it, so that in turn makes me more confident. It’s like, ‘I can do this too.’ I think it adds to the confidence aspect.”

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope so but the early reports were that he wasn't very accurate. If there is one thing you have to do in the NFL, it's throw an accurate ball.

midswat

... soon
I almost hate to hear this, because despite a string of recent good decisions, I still don't trust this FO to NOT be stupid enough to put all their eggs in an UDFA prospect, with Jerry citing Romo as his logic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I almost hate to hear this, because despite a string of recent good decisions, I still don't trust this FO to NOT be stupid enough to put all their eggs in an UDFA prospect, with Jerry citing Romo as his logic.
And what if he is the next Romo, huh? :skurred

midswat

... soon
I mean, you know, it's possible I guess. But to say the odds are stacked against us turning UDFA's into successful back to back franchise QBs is pretty slim would be an understatement.

townsend

Banned
I mean, you know, it's possible I guess. But to say the odds are stacked against us turning UDFA's into successful back to back franchise QBs is pretty slim would be an understatement.
The Rams nearly pulled that off, following Kurt Warner up with a 6th rounder in Marc Bulger (Trent Green had an great career too, but wasn't really a franchise QB for the Rams) Can't think of any other situation that's even that close.

midswat

... soon
Plus we have the handicap of quite possibly the worst QB coach in the league.

townsend

Banned
Plus we have the handicap of quite possibly the worst QB coach in the league.
I picture Wade Wilson wandering aimlessly around Valley Ranch with his Sudoku, like Stanley Hudson on the office.

midswat

... soon
That's a fate were doomed to so long as the creepy smiling red headed clapper is our head coach.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Let's wait to panic until Vaughan kicks ass in preseason. We've yet to see even a McGee vs. Miami level performance from him to give the brainbox false hope.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let's wait to panic until Vaughan kicks ass in preseason. We've yet to see even a McGee vs. Miami level performance from him to give the brainbox false hope.
At some point between practice and preseason our coaching staff should be able to get an accurate assessment of Vaughn. It's not like Romo was a complete unknown when he got his chance to start. We were lucky to find him but I'd like to think there was some skill involved in keeping him. If we aren't able to make a similar assessment with Vaughn then I have zero faith in our ability to draft one either.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wait, are we back to Romo bashing? No way anyone's that dumb.
I must have missed it, but I didn't see anyone bashing Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At some point between practice and preseason our coaching staff should be able to get an accurate assessment of Vaughn. It's not like Romo was a complete unknown when he got his chance to start. We were lucky to find him but I'd like to think there was some skill involved in keeping him. If we aren't able to make a similar assessment with Vaughn then I have zero faith in our ability to draft one either.
Romo had a huge advantage with Lee, Payton, and Parcells who recognized Romo's talent, knew how to cultivate his skill, and were powerful enough to keep him on the bench until he was ready.

That took skill, because if Jerry thought he had a gem he'd have thrown him into the starting lineup around 2004 and that might have ruined Romo. In a way we were lucky Drew Henson was there to distract Jerry.

townsend

Banned
I must have missed it, but I didn't see anyone bashing Romo.
It seemed like VA was saying that in the unlikely event Vaughan turns out to be another Romo, that we'd never be able to get out of the divisional round. Which I inferred to mean that Romo was responsible for our lack of playoff success.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Romo had a huge advantage with Lee, Payton, and Parcells who recognized Romo's talent, knew how to cultivate his skill, and were powerful enough to keep him on the bench until he was ready.
Yep. It did take skill to identify and develop him, but none of the people who did that are around anymore.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sure there are. Jerry is still here...

Well and I'd imagine some of the scouting department as well.
Are you seriously inferring that Jerry or those scouts back then had a hand in Romo's development?

Please say yes.

Top Bottom