Archer: Jason Garrett vows 'discipline' in how much vets work in offseason

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Parcells just played favorites with vets. I suspect most of his "tough it out" shit was part of his rookie hazing. Al Singleton could have spent the entire offseason in an iron lung and gotten the start.
You shut your whore mouth.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Not all of them.

We are carrying a billion gazillion LBers because Lee and McClain won't be doing dick.

The unreliability of the pair of them drove a lot of our personnel decisions in both free agency and the draft.

When players do that, you start to question their value, no matter how good they are when they actually contribute in a limited fashion.

I'd put money on neither playing more than 12 games. I guess that is Garrett's gambit here. Put them in a glass box that says break in case of real football.
If McClain starts missing Wednesday practices again, I bench him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If McClain starts missing Wednesday practices again, I bench him.
You might, but they won't. If they let him do it last year, why wouldn't they this one?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You might, but they won't. If they let him do it last year, why wouldn't they this one?
Because they have gone out of their way to acquire depth and a culture of competition always wins over coddling injury-riddled "stars". I hope they get that. It's not like McClain is Lawrence Taylor.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think McClain is going to worry one bit about Jasper Brinkley or a mid round LB from Minnesota, if that's what you mean.

Maybe he should, but he doesn't strike me as having that kind of personality. He knows he's the best MLB on the team by far (excepting Lee) and he knows the team knows it, too.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't think McClain is going to worry one bit about Jasper Brinkley or a mid round LB from Minnesota, if that's what you mean.

Maybe he should, but he doesn't strike me as having that kind of personality. He knows he's the best MLB on the team by far (excepting Lee) and he knows the team knows it, too.
Unfortunately history says you are right.

I would like to see the team show some balls and take a stand against this kind of BS. In the long run, and maybe even right away, it's better for the team.

townsend

Banned
Unfortunately history says you are right.

I would like to see the team show some balls and take a stand against this kind of BS. In the long run, and maybe even right away, it's better for the team.
Meh. If McClain produces WGAS. Special players get special privileges, that's the way Jimmy did it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Meh. If McClain produces WGAS. Special players get special privileges, that's the way Jimmy did it.
Jimmy would just beat on them less than others. No one got special privs. Irvin would never show up hung over for practice with Jimmy like he did Switzer.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Jimmy would just beat on them less than others. No one got special privs. Irvin would never show up hung over for practice with Jimmy like he did Switzer.
Wrong. Jimmy himself said on his 'A Football Life' that he'd give players special treatment depending on their status on the team.

He said if an end of the roster player was caught sleeping in meetings, he'd cut them to make an example. If Troy Aikman was sleeping, he'd get him a pillow.

And players and coaches alike said that Irvin would show up to morning practices not only hung over, but a lot of times still drunk because he hadn't even been to bed yet. Nothing was said because Irvin was a star, and also because he still worked harder than anyone else.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He said if an end of the roster player was caught sleeping in meetings, he'd cut them to make an example. If Troy Aikman was sleeping, he'd get him a pillow
Yes, he cut Roper, and while that's a different standard for sure, it's hardly what you'd call "special treatment" to not cut someone. I saw the original interview back in the '90s, he said he would have said "Troy... Wake Up!" if Aikman was sleeping.

That's nothing at all like letting your best players take days off practice because they are sore.

Aikman grew more and more pissed off with Switzer because he wouldn't do a damned thing when Irvin came in wasted and dragging. If Irvin showed up hungover for practice and started lounging around, you know Jimmy would have ran him like a dog until he puked, and Irvin would have done it too. Instead under Switzer, more and more players started coming in hungover or late because Irvin did. Aikman was furious.

When it came to practice, Jimmy demanded his best players grind at a high level. He'd even make some of his best players practice and play special teams because he thought it gave him an edge.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
WGAS what Switzer would or wouldn't do. The statement was that Jimmy would give star players special treatment. You said he wouldn't. Jimmy himself said that he would. You were wrong.

townsend said:
Special players get special privileges, that's the way Jimmy did it.
ravidubey said:
Jimmy would just beat on them less than others. No one got special privs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
WGAS what Switzer would or wouldn't do. The statement was that Jimmy would give star players special treatment. You said he wouldn't. Jimmy himself said that he would. You were wrong.
OK, from now on "not cutting someone" == special privileges.

You realize how stupid that sounds?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
OK, from now on "not cutting someone" == special privileges.

You realize how stupid that sounds?
Nobody has said that but you. But either way, it doesn't sound as stupid as this argument you're trying to cobble together to spin away from being wrong.

Trying to argue against the exact words Jimmy himself has said. :lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nobody has said that but you. But either way, it doesn't sound as stupid as this argument you're trying to cobble together to spin away from being wrong.
I could care less about being right vs. not right. That's stupid.

What I said was Jimmy gave no one special privs, the only example of a double-standard being cut vs. not cut.

Can you come up with a single example of special treatment from Jimmy, besides a player not being cut? :lol

Top Bottom