Archer: Debating Cowboys, Eagles as NFC East's best

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it's a crap shoot, but there's a good chance Randle outproduces him.

Randle is younger, has less tread on the tires, has nothing but injury prone backs around him and has the best OL in the league to block for him.

Murray has more talent, but is injury prone himself and has a group of other backs around him specifically to take the load from him. Oh, and his OL is shit.
Philly has a pretty good OL. I wouldn't discount them altogether. As to injuries, any player is one play away from a season ender.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In spit of their solid OL, Philly has a gimmick offense which should do well vs. average defenses (like ours) but probably struggle vs. playoff caliber defenses.

They will spread the field and run Murray who is a more powerful back than McCoy against the nickel formations set to counter the spread.

The success of this approach will depend on Murray's health, Bradford's ability make the passing game a viable threat, and the WRs' ability to block and not wear down.

Cowboy WRs sold out blocking last year, and we'll miss this from Harris moving forward. But I have no idea how well the Eagles WR's block.

With the WR's so unproven in general, the Eagles will need every bit of their gimmickyness to back teams out of 8 man fronts.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
BOLD prediction my friend. Murray better then McCoy.
Didnt say that. I said i think Murray will do better behind the Philly OL because of his running style. McCoy ran for1300 yards last season. Let's see what Murray gets.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Didnt say that. I said i think Murray will do better behind the Philly OL because of his running style. McCoy ran for1300 yards last season. Let's see what Murray gets.
So are you predicting he will get more or not! Put yourself on the record!

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think Murray tops out at about 1200 if healthy, because he will get at least 100 less carries than last year. And I think he'll be slightly less effective.

275 carries x 4.5 ypc equals 1238.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Philly has a pretty good OL. I wouldn't discount them altogether. As to injuries, any player is one play away from a season ender.
Good on the first layer, but a little old and depth poor.

Dallas' line is light years deeper and younger.

Impressed by this?

Jason PetersAndrew Gardner
Evan MathisDennis Kelly
Jason KelceDavid Molk
Matt TobinJosh Andrews
Lane JohnsonAllen Barbre

Take a look at the depth, awful. An injury or two, they are screwed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Murray tops out at about 1200 if healthy, because he will get at least 100 less carries than last year. And I think he'll be slightly less effective.

275 carries x 4.5 ypc equals 1238.
I have a feeling they might be glad they double dipped with Matthews. Just a gut feeling.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From what some NFL insiders were saying it was a matter of running styles as to why they wanted to move on from McCoy.
It was also Kelly's personal preference...

“The philosophy of the play is a tough running play. If the line can get up two yards on the defense, the back can, too. We want him to jam the ball into the hole and be a tough runner. We do not want a jingle-footed back trying to hit a home run. We want him to hit the ball into the line and get the tough yards. We are a blue-collar guy going to work. The line will have a hat on the five defenders in the box. The unblocked defenders on the perimeter are following the ballcarrier. If he gets downhill and runs hard, it is hard for htem to make the tackle. However, if he jiggles in the hole, they will make the tackle. When we talk to the back, we tell him it is speed through the hole, not speed to the hole. When the running back receives the ball, he is at 85-percent speed. As he gets the handoff and makes a decision to take the ball frontside or cut it back, he makes one cut. When he makes his cut to the line, he changes speeds and runs through the hole.”
and because he hates black people.

townsend

Banned
It was also Kelly's personal preference...

and because he hates black people.
the prase "Jingle footed" seems off putting. If my grandfather used the term, I'd assume it was some kind of obscure slur.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
the prase "Jingle footed" seems off putting. If my grandfather used the term, I'd assume it was some kind of obscure slur.
I have always understood this term to mean someone who bounced around rather than being deliberate footed. What we call today juking or trying to make something open up by bouncing and faking. Never heard the term as being racially directed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I have always understood this term to mean someone who bounced around rather than being deliberate footed. What we call today juking or trying to make something open up by bouncing and faking. Never heard the term as being racially directed.
My understanding is the same as yours.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Glad that the two old guys could agree on a phrase no one else has ever heard of before.

Top Bottom