Machota: With 'Senator' Byron Jones, Cowboys drafted more than just a workout warrior

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand Marinelli's thoughts here. His most successful defense had Booger McFarland and John Lynch. Granted they were top layers and icing on an already rich cake, but they made a definite difference.
Lynch yes, but Booger gets overrated a lot. Nice player and I'd take him in a heartbeat here in Dallas but he wasn't really what made that D-line in any way shape or form.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Lynch yes, but Booger gets overrated a lot. Nice player and I'd take him in a heartbeat here in Dallas but he wasn't really what made that D-line in any way shape or form.
He was definitely the third best player on the DL, but IMO he was underrated if anything with Sapp, Rice, Brooks, Barber, Nickerson (for a while), and Lynch being the stars. He might only be remembered by Joe Fan because he's in the media and/or because he was a high pick.

He had a thankless job and his talent flat out made that team better. A player like Shelton Quarles for example would not have been recognized as a standout without a guy like McFarland in front of him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Lynch was a bit overrated as well he performed a specific task on a stacked defense, I don't see him being that much better than Church, a bigger hitter a bit better tackler but not a difference maker IMO.

I want to see how Wilcox does this year if he makes no leap I want a true free and move him to the box guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lynch was a bit overrated as well he performed a specific task on a stacked defense, I don't see him being that much better than Church, a bigger hitter a bit better tackler but not a difference maker IMO.
If by a bit you mean a shit ton better then I agree.

He was also better in coverage which isn't saying a lot for Lynch, but Church got straight embarrassed last year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Lynch was a bit overrated as well he performed a specific task on a stacked defense, I don't see him being that much better than Church
Next time you think about criticizing any personnel misevaluation I've ever made, please stop and remind yourself of this statement.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
:lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Wut

townsend

Banned
I think John Lynch was a hard hitter and opportunist, with a penchant for the clutch interception. His role as a leader can't be understated too.

Lynch may have been a little weak in coverage, but he was a guy who started 12 straight years on some great defenses. Church is the definition of a JAG, I don't know if he starts on any other NFL team.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Whatever, Lynch on this defense would have people calling for his head, He was a smart player who fit perfectly with that defense, he was not some game changer.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think John Lynch was a hard hitter and opportunist, with a penchant for the clutch interception. His role as a leader can't be understated too.

Lynch may have been a little weak in coverage, but he was a guy who started 12 straight years on some great defenses. Church is the definition of a JAG, I don't know if he starts on any other NFL team.
I think you understate Church, I think he is at least average as a safety.

townsend

Banned
I think you understate Church, I think he is at least average as a safety.
Maybe. I haven't been particularly impressed by him, but I can't confess to studying him either. I mostly just see the eff ups and the big plays.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Church is ok. I don't worry about him, but it wouldn't be hard to upgrade that position.

Saying he's on John Lynch's tier is just silly though.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
:lol

Damn.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Church is ok. I don't worry about him, but it wouldn't be hard to upgrade that position.

Saying he's on John Lynch's tier is just silly though.
I worry about him. He missed a ton of tackles last year where he just took terrible angles and looked like a fool. He also had a lot of busted coverage. I'm very worried about Church. If he wasn't a solid leader I'd probably be calling for his head. He is definitely a low level starting NFL safety.

Our lack of effort to upgrade safety makes little sense to me. It's actually why I wouldn't mind Jones at safety either. Wilcox is better then Church in my opinion.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I worry about him. He missed a ton of tackles last year where he just took terrible angles and looked like a fool. He also had a lot of busted coverage. I'm very worried about Church. If he wasn't a solid leader I'd probably be calling for his head. He is definitely a low level starting NFL safety.

Our lack of effort to upgrade safety makes little sense to me. It's actually why I wouldn't mind Jones at safety either. Wilcox is better then Church in my opinion.
See, that's how I feel about Wilcox. He's the guy I saw take a bunch of terrible angles. I think he has room to grow though. My feeling would be Jones at FS, eventually Wilcox takes over for Church at SS.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
See, that's how I feel about Wilcox. He's the guy I saw take a bunch of terrible angles. I think he has room to grow though. My feeling would be Jones at FS, eventually Wilcox takes over for Church at SS.
I wish I had the videos to show it but man Church had some truly horrific games last year. I actually thought Wilcox looked a lot more reliable in coverage and while he takes some bad angles I feel like he makes some athletic plays against the run that I never see Church make.

The worst was I remember Church talking some shit before one of our games. I can't remember which one and then he got absolutely abused all game long. I just don't see it with him. He is a good leader with legit undrafted physical talent.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ok I admit undersold Lynch but I think he was a good safety who benefitted greatly from playing on a all-time defense.

I also think Church is not on that level but I think he could perform near that given the same supporting cast.

Top Bottom