Archer: Dallas Cowboys plan to work out three running backs for today's training

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys plan to work out three running backs for today's training

by Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. -- While the Dallas Cowboys will welcome Darren McFadden to the practice field for the first time today in training camp and should have Lance Dunbar (ankle) and Joseph Randle (oblique) available at least on a limited basis, the Cowboys will work out three running backs today.

According to sources, Ben Malena, who was with the Cowboys during training camp last summer and spent time on the Houston Texans practice squad last year, Michael Hill and Zach Bauman will get to show what they can in a bid to earn a training camp invite.

Gus Johnson, who started Thursday’s preseason opener against the San Diego Chargers, suffered a separated shoulder and is likely to be held out of contact for more than a week.

Of the three, Hill is the only one to have played in a regular-season game, appearing in eight of them for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Green Bay Packers in 2013. He had nine carries for 23 yards and two catches for 23 yards for the Bucs. He was cut by the Washington Redskins last month.

Malena was let go by the Texans in May but recently worked out for them.

Bauman spent time last year on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad before he was released in May. He is the all-time leading rusher at Northern Arizona. He had 16 carries for 49 yards in the preseason last year.

:jerk

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What a fricking joke.

These dumbasses really think we're set at the position, because none of these guys they've brought in has a chance to help this team even in the slightest. All we're looking for apparently are camp bodies.

This team has come a long way in some respects, but in others, they remain just as stupid as they've ever been.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys plan to work out three running backs for today's training

by Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. -- While the Dallas Cowboys will welcome Darren McFadden to the practice field for the first time today in training camp and should have Lance Dunbar (ankle) and Joseph Randle (oblique) available at least on a limited basis, the Cowboys will work out three running backs today.

According to sources, Ben Malena, who was with the Cowboys during training camp last summer and spent time on the Houston Texans practice squad last year, Michael Hill and Zach Bauman will get to show what they can in a bid to earn a training camp invite.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Any bet as to how long he stays on active?

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Gus Johnson, who started Thursday’s preseason opener against the San Diego Chargers, suffered a separated shoulder and is likely to be held out of contact for more than a week.

Of the three, Hill is the only one to have played in a regular-season game, appearing in eight of them for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Green Bay Packers in 2013. He had nine carries for 23 yards and two catches for 23 yards for the Bucs. He was cut by the Washington Redskins last month.

Malena was let go by the Texans in May but recently worked out for them.

Bauman spent time last year on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad before he was released in May. He is the all-time leading rusher at Northern Arizona. He had 16 carries for 49 yards in the preseason last year.

:jerk
behold.jpg

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
at this point I have a feeling we have a number of backs that we would like to have that we will not get a shot at until final cuts.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
at this point I have a feeling we have a number of backs that we would like to have that we will not get a shot at until final cuts.
Yeah. The organization will play out the game plan until the last minute which is to go with the existing roster of Randle, McFadden, and Dunbar up until game one is on us. If one of the three cannot go then they will look for an actual replacement. Don't expect to see a serious candidate picked up in the pre season. Anyone that gets in the game other than the ordained three will just be filler squad materiel.

GShock

DCC 4Life
And even then, we won't sign anybody until after week 1 so as not to guarantee the contract.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm waiting for McFadden to get hurt again before the season starts. I've never been big on Dunbar making the roster either to be fair. I've always thought he was a slot WR pretending to be a RB. Say what you will about Gus Johnson but I can at least see the utility of a guy like that in our offense. He can pick up the third and 1 type plays. He runs with power and gets the short yardage plays. Now we may be able to pick up a free agent who is better at those things once cuts start but the fact is I'd rather have a guy is strictly a power and short yardage back then to have a guy like McFadden or Dunbar.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Steven Jackson.

Just bring him in already and don't worry about McFadden and Randle's poor psyches.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Steven Jackson.

Just bring him in already and don't worry about McFadden and Randle's poor psyches.
I would wait until after the regular season starts to avoid guaranteeing his contract. I think he could be done.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yea, count me in with the crowd that thinks Jackson is done.

Not only does he not have anything to offer at this point in his career, he too cannot stay healthy.

No thanks.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, count me in with the crowd that thinks Jackson is done.

Not only does he not have anything to offer at this point in his career, he too cannot stay healthy.

No thanks.
I don't even think he is a good short yardage and power back anymore. I think people are just too hungry for a name they recognize.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't even think he is a good short yardage and power back anymore. I think people are just too hungry for a name they recognize.
Probably the best candidates are the ones that were picked up but couldn't make the cut because of existing depth at that position. Doesn't have to have an impressive resume. Just needs to be someone who had a good college career and has reasonable size and speed with minimal injury history.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably the best candidates are the ones that were picked up but couldn't make the cut because of existing depth at that position. Doesn't have to have an impressive resume. Just needs to be someone who had a good college career and has reasonable size and speed with minimal injury history.
When it comes to RB it's one of the few positions where I'd almost always lean towards youth over production. Just a position where guys burn out so quickly. Experience doesn't impact a players ability to play much at all.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would wait until after the regular season starts to avoid guaranteeing his contract. I think he could be done.
He had 190 carries behind a bad OL with the offense's best vertical threat missing. Still averaged 3.7, and I think he could do a lot with 100 carries in this offense and then a playoff run where we dump the pitch counts and go with whoever has the hot hand.

He pass blocks, brings physicality in short yardage, and can catch the football.

It's the last part which makes me want to bring him in sooner, contract be damned. The passing game takes time, even for vets.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
When it comes to RB it's one of the few positions where I'd almost always lean towards youth over production. Just a position where guys burn out so quickly. Experience doesn't impact a players ability to play much at all.
I sure didn't want McFadden. He has already established his career. I want a youngster at this point. Leave the others out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Go get Mason from the Rams...although I am fine with Randle.

Top Bottom