Archer: Bye week works out well for Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bye week works out well for Cowboys
November, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The bye week could not have worked out any better for the Dallas Cowboys.

With the Philadelphia Eagles losing to the Green Bay Packers, the Cowboys and Eagles have the same record with six games to play. With the New York Giants losing to the San Francisco 49ers, the Cowboys’ next opponent has lost five in a row. With the Washington Redskins losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, the Cowboys’ divisional rival dropped to 3-7, just like New York.

Of the Cowboys’ final five opponents, only the Chicago Bears won on Sunday.

The Cowboys (7-3) return to work on Tuesday knowing everything they want is in their control with six games to play.

The Eagles (7-3) are technically in first place in the NFC East because of a 2-0 division record -- the Cowboys are 1-1 -- but the 53-20 loss to the Packers has to damage at least a little of their confidence and shake at least some faith in their current starting quarterback, Mark Sanchez, who is playing with Nick Foles out.

Only the Arizona Cardinals (9-1) have a better record in the NFC than the Cowboys with the Packers and Detroit Lions also checking in at 7-3. The Cowboys lose a head-to-head tiebreaker with the Cardinals in a race for home-field advantage, but they will play with their backup quarterback, Drew Stanton, the rest of the way. The Cowboys will be in the mix for a first-round bye as long as they keep winning.

Four of the Cowboys’ final six games are away from AT&T Stadium, including their upcoming meeting with the Giants. Playing on the road might not be such a bad thing for the Cowboys, who are 4-0 as the visitor this season.

The off weekend allowed starters like Tony Romo, Rolando McClain and Tyrone Crawford to heal up, and allowed others to rest up. Romo did not take part in the two brief practices the Cowboys held last week. Crawford sat out as well, but said he expects to play against the Giants. McClain was able to practice, which is a good sign for his availability.

Having beaten the Jacksonville Jaguars at London’s Wembley Stadium on Nov. 9, the Cowboys were able to stop a two-game losing streak and return to the form that saw them win six in a row in September and October.

“I think there is a good formula in place on how we play football,” tight end Jason Witten said last week. “It’s so week to week in how you play and how you have to go do it. Just because it’s a good formula and you can run the football well, I don’t know if that equates to wins. So we put ourselves in good position. Now we got to go do it.”

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
It would be nice to get a first round bye, but over the last 5 or 7 years that's not been a big factor on getting to the SB. Being hot at the right time seems to be the ticket these days.

I would love to see the Cowboys get on another roll like they did earlier in the season.

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
It would be nice to get a first round bye, but over the last 5 or 7 years that's not been a big factor on getting to the SB. Being hot at the right time seems to be the ticket these days.

I would love to see the Cowboys get on another roll like they did earlier in the season.
they'd have a chance to do that if they just kept pounding it inside with Murray like they did the first 8 games of the season.

They've tried to get too cute and by trying to monitor his touches, have lost some of the identity that allowed them to be so successful.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Here is something interesting about wwithnning the division.

If we split with the Eagles, there is a good chance the Eagles win the division based on tie breakers.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here is something interesting about wwithnning the division.

If we split with the Eagles, there is a good chance the Eagles win the division based on tie breakers.
Thanks for that, Geng. Thanks a whole helluva lot!

p1_

DCC 4Life
they'd have a chance to do that if they just kept pounding it inside with Murray like they did the first 8 games of the season.

They've tried to get too cute and by trying to monitor his touches, have lost some of the identity that allowed them to be so successful.
I think it was more about Romo, Leary and Free than anything else. See how the identity returned vs Jax?

Jwooten15

Brand New Member
I think it was more about Romo, Leary and Free than anything else. See how the identity returned vs Jax?

Good point. Hopefully the team knows the secret formula and sticks with it.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Return of Leary and Free made a difference, though third down production has slacked off IMO partly because of Romo's injury but mostly because Linehan couldn't adjust to the Washington blitz and the offense has become stubborn and predictable with an overdependence on spread formations.

Why not continue to use the three-TE sets that were so successful against Washington and NY?

In case no one has noticed, 0 catches for Gavin Escobar == a loss.

The stat is telling because it means Linehan and Garrett are mixing it up and using all their weapons short, long, and intermediate. Defenses struggle when they can't cheat in any one direction.

Top Bottom