NFL denies DeAngelo Williams' request to wear pink shoes in honor of his mom

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And in this way he is honoring his mother. He doesn't need to accessorize his uniform to do so.
You don't think wearing pink shoes would be more beneficial than giving out free mammograms? I don't know, man... I'm kinda torn on this.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
You don't think wearing pink shoes would be more beneficial than giving out free mammograms? I don't know, man... I'm kinda torn on this.
That NoDak flag could use a little pink fringe. Not for breast cancer awareness or anything, just to liven it up a bit.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
On the one hand, yeah, rules are rules. On the other hand, there is such a thing as being a little too ticky tack when enforcing them. Players don't all wear the exact same cleats during a game and for some reason, I don't really pay much attention to them. They don't all wear the same helmet design even though the colors and logo are the same. They don't wear their socks the same way. They don't all wear the same bottom layer, or long sleeves when it's cold. If the uniform policy is about having a "uniform" appearance, they already failed.

It also trickles down to silliness like fining players for a message on eye black. Fining someone over $5,000 for having eye black that says "Find the cure", when you make a point of emphasizing the same thing for an entire month of the season to enhance the reputation of the league as being woman friendly? Things like this are so innocuous to the average fan watching a game live or on TV, they wouldn't even give it a second thought unless a TV/broadcast crew zoomed in and focused on it. I guarantee you the league cares more about this crap than the typical fan. Never in my life have I watched a football game with someone and have them say "OMG, his eye black or shoes don't conform to league regulations." Rules are rules but sometimes it just comes down to being petty about enforcing them. It's not hurting anyone and it just adds to the No Fun League reputation. JMO.

Carp

DCC 4Life
On the one hand, yeah, rules are rules. On the other hand, there is such a thing as being a little too ticky tack when enforcing them. Players don't all wear the exact same cleats during a game and for some reason, I don't really pay much attention to them. They don't all wear the same helmet design even though the colors and logo are the same. They don't wear their socks the same way. They don't all wear the same bottom layer, or long sleeves when it's cold. If the uniform policy is about having a "uniform" appearance, they already failed.

It also trickles down to silliness like fining players for a message on eye black. Fining someone over $5,000 for having eye black that says "Find the cure", when you make a point of emphasizing the same thing for an entire month of the season to enhance the reputation of the league as being woman friendly? Things like this are so innocuous to the average fan watching a game live or on TV, they wouldn't even give it a second thought unless a TV/broadcast crew zoomed in and focused on it. I guarantee you the league cares more about this crap than the typical fan. Never in my life have I watched a football game with someone and have them say "OMG, his eye black or shoes don't conform to league regulations." Rules are rules but sometimes it just comes down to being petty about enforcing them. It's not hurting anyone and it just adds to the No Fun League reputation. JMO.
You can have a tribute to a deceased family member, friend, pet, whatever...just not sure it has to be visible for the 3 hours that you work for the week. Wear it in practice, around the house, out in the community...but it has to be worn while on TV?

Then someone will be upset that they cannot wear "tributes" for stuff like AIDS awareness, domestic violence, The Human Fund, all kinds of things. It is not that the NFL would not support it, but players will soon look like NASCAR cars if they can wear all these stickers, socks, gloves, etc.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
You can have a tribute to a deceased family member, friend, pet, whatever...just not sure it has to be visible for the 3 hours that you work for the week. Wear it in practice, around the house, out in the community...but it has to be worn while on TV?

Then someone will be upset that they cannot wear "tributes" for stuff like AIDS awareness, domestic violence, The Human Fund, all kinds of things. It is not that the NFL would not support it, but players will soon look like NASCAR cars if they can wear all these stickers, socks, gloves, etc.
Right. And as soon as you grant permission to one, precedent has been set. And if you try to say no then..? Good luck.

data

Forbes #1
I think the NFL can make money and increase publicity off of this.

Designate an area on the jersey, like right above the nameplate, for the player to customize a 2" diameter patch for whatever.

The NFL can sell these Limited Edition jerseys with patches. Fans are crazy enough to buy them like baseball cards -- Get an Antonio Brown 2014 jersey (AIDS), 2015 jersey (Breast Cancer), 2016 jersey (Human Fund).

Also, it segues into the NFL selling that space for advertisers with a kickback for that player that doesn't use it for his own cause/message.

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
I think the NFL can make money and increase publicity off of this.

Designate an area on the jersey, like right above the nameplate, for the player to customize a 2" diameter patch for whatever.

The NFL can sell these Limited Edition jerseys with patches. Fans are crazy enough to buy them like baseball cards -- Get an Antonio Brown 2014 jersey (AIDS), 2015 jersey (Breast Cancer), 2016 jersey (Human Fund).

Also, it segues into the NFL selling that space for advertisers with a kickback for that player that doesn't use it for his own cause/message.
are these pre approved causes, or can Rex Grossman wear his NAMBLA patch?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

But its OK when the players wear a patch, number, or emblem for an owner, owners wife, or NFL person that has died?

I see your point for sure, but its kind of odd that the NFL allows their "own" to be memorialized, but not anyone else.

Carp

DCC 4Life
But its OK when the players wear a patch, number, or emblem for an owner, owners wife, or NFL person that has died?

I see your point for sure, but its kind of odd that the NFL allows their "own" to be memorialized, but not anyone else.
Well, it is the NFL, so yeah...memorialize great players, owners, etc, that had a great impact on the NFL.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

I don't think it's odd that an entity allows honoring its own. It common practice for the most part. It would be odd however if they honored someone not affiliated with them. That's how I see this circumstance. The player didn't die of cancer rather one of his family members did not affiliated with the organization. I don't see that in the same vane as an owner's family member. They would be considered as part of the entity I am sure some folks differ.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Well, it is the NFL, so yeah...memorialize great players, owners, etc, that had a great impact on the NFL.
So what did Robert Krafts' wife do for the NFL? Be a philanthropist? My mom -to me- was the greatest woman in the world- she gave away tons of money to orphanages across the US and traveled to 3rd world countries to help babies with cancer and AIDS. Does not being married to an NFL owner somehow make her less important? I'm sure there are tons of NFL players that feel the same way about their loved ones, too.

I personally don't give 2 shits about what Mrs Kraft did or didn't do for the NFL. Honor her for being a great person? Sure. Honor her for being good for the game? Sure. But plenty of players adore their moms that do great things in this world whether its raising them as a single mom or fighting a horrible disease like cancer. It takes a lot more courage to go thru that then to give away money.

My point is that the NFL should consider allowing a player to memorialize his mom or dad. I think its a double standard, but again thats only my opinion.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So what did Robert Krafts' wife do for the NFL? Be a philanthropist? My mom -to me- was the greatest woman in the world- she gave away tons of money to orphanages across the US and traveled to 3rd world countries to help babies with cancer and AIDS. Does not being married to an NFL owner somehow make her less important? I'm sure there are tons of NFL players that feel the same way about their loved ones, too.

I personally don't give 2 shits about what Mrs Kraft did or didn't do for the NFL. Honor her for being a great person? Sure. Honor her for being good for the game? Sure. But plenty of players adore their moms that do great things for this world whether its raising them as a single mom or fighting a horrible disease like cancer. It takes a lot more courage to go thru that then to give away money.

My point is that the NFL should consider allowing a player to memorialize his mom or dad. I think its a double standard, but again thats only my opinion.
I agree with you 100%.

Carp

DCC 4Life

I personally don't give 2 shits about what Mrs Kraft did or didn't do for the NFL. Honor her for being a great person? Sure. Honor her for being good for the game? Sure. But plenty of players adore their moms that do great things in this world whether its raising them as a single mom or fighting a horrible disease like cancer. It takes a lot more courage to go thru that then to give away money.

Myra Kraft led the Pats charitable organization...representing the team and the NFL.

While he was with the Panthers, he was part of the NFL planning group to wear pink in Oct...and his mom was recognized at games and ran out of the tunnel. Williams was then upset that the only player who attended her funeral was Hardy and he only got calls from the GM and coach.

At a certain point you grieve and memorialize individually and with your family.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Owners immediate families are tied directly to the NFL because it is the business of the family. Players families are not tied directly to the NFL they are only tied to the player.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Wasn't it Williams mom that started the whole NFL wear pink thing?
I would say that would make her somewhat relevant to the NFL and part of the NFL community...

Top Bottom