Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stars

DCC 4Life
This draft went from these QB's aren't franchise type guys a few months ago to probably QB's going 1, 2 and possibly anywhere from 4-8 for the 3rd guy. Crazy shit. Is this the new normal? People giving up insane draft packages to move up to coveted quarterback spots in the draft. With the league changing every year to make offense the focal point, QB is exponentially more important than any other position on your team.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
My nightmare draft is Ramsey in the first, whatever schlub they fuck up on in the second like they always do and Prescott in the third. My God.
Basically the same with me. Except I'd hate any non-QB in the first with anyone QB other than Lynch in the 2nd or 3rd.

Ramsey/Bosa/Buckner/Jack + Cook (2nd) or Hackenberg/Dak (3rd) would be horrible. If we don't get Wentz/Goff/Lynch then I'd rather wait til the 4th or later on a QB or til next year. No sense in bypassing much better talent in the 2nd or 3rd round in order to take a lesser QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Watson could be very good. I worry about how much he runs and the offense that he's in but I saw him go through progressions and throw darts in tight coverage against Alabama. Next year will tell the story but I could easily see him going top 5.
Short and skinny guy out of a gimmic offense? I seriously doubt he is a top 5 pick when it is all said and done. Not unless he runs like Mike Vick did.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
None of the QBs were Luck or Peyton Manning but I think they were every bit the Philip Rivers, Matt Ryan or Marcus Mariota.
That's possible which is why I don't mind and actually prefer us to get Wentz or Goff at 4. I just don't think I'd give up the haul the Rams did to move to #1 for a QB equivalent of Rivers/Ryan/Mariota. They are quality QB's but not generational talents to warrant that price imo.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Fuck it. I'm on the phone to see what Cleveland wants for #2. Offer them #4, #67, #189, and Leary.

I'm having Prescott nightmares.
Cook in the 2nd or Hackenberg in the 3rd is just as bad.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This draft went from these QB's aren't franchise type guys a few months ago to probably QB's going 1, 2 and possibly anywhere from 4-8 for the 3rd guy. Crazy shit. Is this the new normal? People giving up insane draft packages to move up to coveted quarterback spots in the draft. With the league changing every year to make offense the focal point, QB is exponentially more important than any other position on your team.
I think it speaks to the shortage of quality QBs in the NFL. There just aren't that many good young ones in the league and the pipeline from college doesn't look to be getting any better. I also think people confuse the media with actual scouts opinions. The media may not have been this high on these guys a few months ago, but that doesn't mean that NFL scouts weren't that high. Or that the scouts weren't still processing the information and game film.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I think it speaks to the shortage of quality QBs in the NFL. There just aren't that many good young ones in the league and the pipeline from college doesn't look to be getting any better. I also think people confuse the media with actual scouts opinions. The media may not have been this high on these guys a few months ago, but that doesn't mean that NFL scouts weren't that high. Or that the scouts weren't still processing the information and game film.
Very good point on the scouts/media thing.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Titans are in position to control this draft. Have the ammo to make a move back up into top 10 if someone they like drops. Also always thought Henry was a possibility to them at top of 2nd. Now that they have 3 2nds I definitely think they'll end up taking him.

For us, I thought if we went QB at 4 we'd go defense in the 2nd and its deep there with DL and CB But if we now go defense at 4 I think we look offense in the 2nd I'd be good with a solid WR or even D. Henry. Even if we go D at #4 i'd like to see us go D in the 2nd but probably not likely. I just fear we panic over QB and take Cook. :budd

GShock

DCC 4Life
Can't blame us for not meeting that asking price if we were indeed interested in moving up to 1. It would have taken probably our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 1st next year to move up for a guy who quite honestly is still a bit of a developmental prospect. I was one of the first to get on the Wentz hype train before the Senior Bowl and before the FCS Championship, there's alot to like there but the guy is not Luck and he needs development/time to learn, you can't pay that price for a guy like that in our situation.

I'll also say that I think Lynch may be more of a real possibility at 4 than any of us think. We sent basically the entire front office to work him out, we haven't done that with any other QB prospect, and I'll also say that I'd rather take Lynch at 4 than pay that price for Wentz despite liking Wentz more. As I've said for a long time now, the main advantages that Wentz has over Lynch are that he comes from a more pro style system where he had more pre-snap responsibility (this may be a non-issue if Lynch takes to coaching/learning from Romo) and that Wentz is completely sterling off the field, which is an unknown with Lynch, although I've read that he impressed at the Combine. Basically, there is less risk there with Wentz, but not necessarily because of physical ability or talent. Lynch has a bigger arm, I think he is just about as mobile and I think he does a better job than Wentz of using his mobility to buy time and make plays downfield.

Obviously I'd take Goff over Lynch at 4 if he's there, but I can't shake the feeling that Lynch is more in play at 4 than we realize.
15 minutes into the draft, Lynch could be the best remaining QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me if you think Goff is a franchise QB Dallas should trade up to 2. If they don't then trade down. The problem is if you are trading down with the idea of taking Lynch, you better not move down far. I think it is far from a sure thing that Lynch is there at 15 for example. So if you want Lynch 4 might seem high but is 8 too high? And if you can't move down to say 8, is it really worth it to then pass on someone like Lynch?

This trade definitely throws a wrench in things. I'd probably move up for Goff if the price isn't too much.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm in the camp that The Titans are planning on doing some more maneuvering before the draft because it's a little unusual to trade out of the #1 spot this far ahead of time. I'll bet this will have some teams' "draft gurus" scrambling.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Rams/Titans trade for #1

Rams/Titans trade for #1

Apparently this is a thing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in the camp that The Titans are planning on doing some more maneuvering before the draft because it's a little unusual to trade out of the #1 spot this far ahead of time. I'll bet this will have some teams' "draft gurus" scrambling.
I'm sure they want to move back up some. I think the Titans have all but come out and said so. The trade down made sense for the Titans since they didn't want a QB in a draft with franchise QB's available. But that doesn't mean the Titans want to wait until 15 to take a player. I could certainly see them wanting to move back up to get in the range to take one of the 2 stud OTs in this draft.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
And the Los Angeles Rams are now on the clock. The NFL has to be eating this up.

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport first reported (and the Tennessee Titans confirmed) that the Rams have acquired the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft from the Titans. It's a bold, fascinating move, and it indicates that the Rams will land a quarterback at No. 1.

The league's newly relocated team is not wasting time making waves on the west coast, returning to L.A. for the first time since 1995. And giving Case Keenum a little competition, too.

[Follow Yahoo Sports draft expert Eric Edholm on Facebook and Twitter]

If early indications are to be believed, the Rams are favoring drafting North Dakota State's Carson Wentz over Cal's Jared Goff. They're roundly considered to be the top two QB prospects in this class, although Memphis' Paxton Lynch was a player the Rams also have studied closely.

Here's the swapping of picks:

#Titans receive: 2016 15th - 43, 45, 76; 2017 1st Rd and 3rd Rd

Rams receive: No. 1, 113, 177.#blockbuster
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 14, 2016

The Titans resisted trade offers for the No. 2 overall pick last year, selecting quarterback Marcus Mariota. It appears to be a good move now, as Mariota — even in an injury-plagued rookie season — showed promise. Drafting him also has allowed the Titans to target other positions of need.

Resetting the boards for this draft, the Titans now have:

1st round — No. 15 overall
2nd round — No. 33
2nd round — No. 43 (from Rams)
2nd round — No. 45 (from Rams)
3rd round — No. 64
3rd round — No. 76 (from Rams)
5th round — No. 140
6th round — No. 193 (from Falcons)
7th round — No. 222

What an unbelievable haul by first-year general manager Jon Robinson, who is now running the Titans. They now control this draft, with six of the first 76 picks in the draft. Want to make a deal? They're apparently your first call. They have needs all over — offensive line, defensive line, wide receiver, secondary — and can address all of them this year. Plus, they're loaded with the Rams' first- and third-rounders in 2017, which sets them up beautifully for the future.

The Rams now have:

1st round — No. 1 overall (from Titans)
4th round — No. 110
4th round — No. 113 (from Titans via Eagles)
6th round — No. 177 (from Titans)
6th round — No. 190

On the one hand, you look at the price it cost the Rams to go to No. 1 and think, "Did they not learn, on the other side, from the RG3 deal?" This is a hefty, hefty price to pay. But if they believe that, let's say, Wentz is their guy ... hey almost no price is too steep to land a franchise QB, which the Rams have not had in recent years since the bodies of Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger and Sam Bradford betrayed them, and their replacements often fell short.

Keenum was being pumped up as the guy by Jeff Fisher. We now know that was lip service. You know who else is excited? The NFL and HBO. The league just stole back the momentum of big nights in the NBA and NHL in the news cycle, and will do so even more with Thursday's schedule announcement. And "Hard Knocks" now has another terrific storyline with the top pick in the draft.

The Rams could afford to give up many picks in this deal because they've made 46 selections the past five drafts before this one, naiing a few (Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley), although they've whiffed on others and let some free agents, such as Janoris Jenkins, walk this offseason.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
15 minutes into the draft, Lynch could be the best remaining QB.
Probably true....but I wouldn't use that as a reason to panic and reach for him at 4. I seen many have him in the 20s. Some mocks had him going to the Rams at 15 based on need, not his ranking. Going 4th based on need would be a monumental reach.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
To me if you think Goff is a franchise QB Dallas should trade up to 2. If they don't then trade down. The problem is if you are trading down with the idea of taking Lynch, you better not move down far. I think it is far from a sure thing that Lynch is there at 15 for example. So if you want Lynch 4 might seem high but is 8 too high? And if you can't move down to say 8, is it really worth it to then pass on someone like Lynch?

This trade definitely throws a wrench in things. I'd probably move up for Goff if the price isn't too much.
This is where I'm at.

If we are really sold on Goff, trade up to 2, it shouldn't be that cost prohibitive, I don't think we'd have to give up our 2nd for example. On the other hand, if you think Lynch is not that far off from Goff, or even prefer Lynch, you just take him at 4.

Everybody would love to trade down and still get Lynch of course but if the organization is sold on Lynch enough to take him at 8 or 12, you might as well just take him at 4 unless you get a really solid trade down offer. Who is to say that the 49ers or Eagles don’t desperately move up in front of us at 6 or 7 or where ever we traded down to for the last of the top 3 QB’s?

I don’t think Lynch makes it to 15, so if we are willing to take him at 10 or 11, might as well just take him at 4.

If we aren’t sold enough on Lynch to take him that high then definitely take anything reasonable to move down a few slots and nab Elliott, Rankins or Lawson, or perhaps even Bosa or Jack if they fall a bit.

As far as Lynch vs. Wentz, I’ll say it again, Lynch is not far off physically, and you could easily argue that he is more talented than Wentz in several areas. The main causes for concern compared to Wentz are his character off the field/work ethic (I haven’t heard anything negative, I’m just saying it’s an unknown compared to Wentz) and that he played in a much more simplistic offense with less responsibilities (this also may be a moot point if Lynch has the work ethic/desire to learn from Romo and take to coaching). I don’t give a shit where the mock drafts have him going, not that long ago people thought he was a top 5 pick, if he checks out off the field and wants to be great he has as high a ceiling as any QB in this draft. It’s definitely a risk but if you’re willing to take this guy at 8 or 10 or 12, you might as well just take him at 4 too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I must admit, I'm kind of disappointed that the Eagles didn't give up a ransom like this for the 1st pick.

The Eagles would've had to give up their entire 2016 draft, their 1st next year and/or Cox in order to match the Rams offer.

dallen

Senior Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom