Draft Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

data

Forbes #1
Silver lining is that we'll take a higher rated non-QB at #4 and draft a better QB in 2017 with our #1 pick. Who are the QB prospects next year?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Can't blame us for not meeting that asking price if we were indeed interested in moving up to 1. It would have taken probably our 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 1st next year to move up for a guy who quite honestly is still a bit of a developmental prospect. I was one of the first to get on the Wentz hype train before the Senior Bowl and before the FCS Championship, there's alot to like there but the guy is not Luck and he needs development/time to learn, you can't pay that price for a guy like that in our situation.

I'll also say that I think Lynch may be more of a real possibility at 4 than any of us think. We sent basically the entire front office to work him out, we haven't done that with any other QB prospect, and I'll also say that I'd rather take Lynch at 4 than pay that price for Wentz despite liking Wentz more. As I've said for a long time now, the main advantages that Wentz has over Lynch are that he comes from a more pro style system where he had more pre-snap responsibility (this may be a non-issue if Lynch takes to coaching/learning from Romo) and that Wentz is completely sterling off the field, which is an unknown with Lynch, although I've read that he impressed at the Combine. Basically, there is less risk there with Wentz, but not necessarily because of physical ability or talent. Lynch has a bigger arm, I think he is just about as mobile and I think he does a better job than Wentz of using his mobility to buy time and make plays downfield.

Obviously I'd take Goff over Lynch at 4 if he's there, but I can't shake the feeling that Lynch is more in play at 4 than we realize.

With all that said, the smart money is on us taking Ramsey now assuming that Wentz/Goff/Tunsil go top 3. The only thing I can say is that hopefully we play him at safety and not CB, while I would not be happy with the pick at all, especially if we play him at CB, I think a Ramsey/Jones pairing could be the best safety combo in the league by 2017 or 2018.

data

Forbes #1
If a Rams fan, would you rather have done this trade for your choice of Winston/mariotta or Wentz/goff?

Stars

DCC 4Life
So I guess Lynch probably won't last beyond 7 or 8 now.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Browns seem very motivated to trade down. If they do it's probably to a team looking to take Goff. Which not only takes away the only 2 QBs worth the 4th pick, it makes it much harder to trade down for the Cowboys because there are no more QBs left, and there will be far less teams interested in moving up.

On the other hand, we might be able to circumvent Cleveland because it'll be cheaper to move to 4 than 2.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

And next years 3rd. If they pulled this off? Holy shit.

Genghis Khan

But basically I think we're screwed. We'll wind up being stuck at 4 with no QB to take and no elite player to take and very little way to trade out.

This kind of sucks.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If we are sold on either of the top 2 QB's with no strict preference we should definitely be on the phone with Cleveland, I have no idea what it'd take but I can't imagine it'd be more than 4, our 3rd and 4th. A hefty price to move up 2 spots but it's not that bad if you think there are only 2 potential franchise QB's in the draft and you are hell bent on getting one of them.

I just happen to think that our front office groups Lynch in with those other two and may even prefer Lynch to Goff.

Genghis Khan

I would love that immensely, but I'd be very surprised to see it happen. TN would be stupid to do that.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
The biggest thing that scares me about this is not that we'll end up with Ramsey. I think he's a good player. But that we'll end up with some waste like Hackenberg or Prescott. And probably a round or two early because we'll be afraid to miss. I hope like hell that Goff is still there at #4, and we take him. If not, I'm now in the trade down for Lynch or Cook at #34 crowd.
That's been my biggest fear this offseason, that we'll waste a premium 2nd or 3rd round pick on a lesser QB bypassing much better talent at other positions and ending up with a decent backup QB at best.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
But basically I think we're screwed. We'll wind up being stuck at 4 with no QB to take and no elite player to take and very little way to trade out.

This kind of sucks.
If Tunsil happens to be there we could have alot of trade down opportunities. It seems obvious that the top 3 will be Wentz/Goff/Tunsil but Ramsey could very easily sneak in there, or the Browns and Chargers could both pass on Goff, neither of which would be truly shocking at all.

dallen

Senior Tech

If both QBs are gone we'd be stupid not to take that

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Silver lining is that we'll take a higher rated non-QB at #4 and draft a better QB in 2017 with our #1 pick. Who are the QB prospects next year?
Like who? I'd say Tunsil may go to SD now, which then means we'll end up with Ramsey or the same guys we've been mulling over, Bosa/Buckner/Jack.

I really don't want Ramsey and said months ago my worst scenario was Ramsey with a QB in 2nd/3rd round. And really, any of the defensive players combined with a 2nd/3rd round QB will suck big time.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams took Goff. He is much more ready to play right now and they have nothing at QB.

Anyway, I'd be furious if I were a Rams fan. They just gave up the fuckin farm for a QB, either of which is far from a sure thing.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't know that next year's QB crop is better than this year's.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I would love that immensely, but I'd be very surprised to see it happen. TN would be stupid to do that.
Why would Tennessee be stupid to do that? If the trade worked out exactly like proposed here, the final tally would be them gaining a top of the 4th this year, a 1st and 3rd next year, AND the player that everyone figured would go #1 to them. So they get their guy, and an extra 3 picks, with one of them being a 1st rounder. How would that be stupid again..?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why would Tennessee be stupid to do that? If the trade worked out exactly like proposed here, the final tally would be them gaining a top of the 4th this year, a 1st and 3rd next year, AND the player that everyone figured would go #1 to them. So they get their guy, and an extra 3 picks, with one of them being a 1st rounder. How would that be stupid again..?
Yeah, if they pull that off, it will be epic.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
That is a tremendous boatload of draft picks to move up, especially when the consensus is none of these QB's are on par with Luck or other franchise types.

i'm sure the Rams take Wentz, but even if they did go Goff, Wentz would go #2 to Cleveland or someone who'd trade up. I guess SD takes Tunsil or Ramsey. We're either taking Ramsey or Bosa. And with Wentz/Goff off the board there's no likely trade down option either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom