Cowboys sign Dez Bryant to 5 year deal

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea although I doubt we bring in another high-priced CB like Carr to replace him when we already have Scandrick and Jones. If Murray had taken the 4/24 contract we probably could've signed Bryant but there is absolutely no way we could've given Murray what the Eagles gave him and given Bryant what we did.
We actually could afford Murray for a year now.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You know damn good and well if you didn't know that was Jerry's daughter and you had a beer or two in you and weren't married you'd hit that!

:tippytoe
Just speaking for myself but it'd take me alot more than a beer or 2 to hit Jerry in drag

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We actually could afford Murray for a year now.
You think we could afford to give Murray roughly 8 million this year while giving Bryant what we gave him, and giving Hardy what we gave him?

Or more importantly, could we have still franchised Dez and not allowed him to hold us hostage, while re-signing Murray to a deal like that and also affording Hardy?

I doubt it.

At any rate, we made the right choice letting Murray walk for what he got, I could buy an argument saying we should've gotten a deal like this done with Dez earlier and franchised Murray but that doesn't seem like it was a likely option.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Can you imagine getting a check for $6.5 million dollars? Good lord. :lol

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reveals inside details in Dez Bryant negotiations

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones joined the Shan and RJ show on KRLD-FM (105.3) on Thursday to discuss the new deal with wide receiver Dez Bryant.

One of the more interesting revelations Jones made was that Dez’s off-the-field affairs will be a team effort, but mostly will be handled now by Jay Z and Roc Nation, which represents Bryant. There are no “Dez Rules.” According to a Dallas Morning News report, for the first time in his five-year professional career, the receiver will not have someone associated with the Cowboys closely monitoring him while he’s away from Valley Ranch.

Some highlights of Jones’ chat this morning:

On Dez:

The evolving of his maturation has been spectacular. It has been said throughout this process that his contract that the same thing that made him drop in the draft from a top 5 pick to where we got him. The same thing is impacting him in this negotiation. No one breathing from the perspective that this needed to be evaluated, which is giving him a long term contract. No one breathing knows Dez better than me. No one breathing. And for us to agree to this contract and the terms and everything says all you need to say about Dez and how we feel and how I feel, and I feel like I’m the expert in terms of the whole package as to what Dez is about.

He’s good inside. He’s got the right stuff he is passionate and an athletic freak in a positive sense. Inside he has the compassion for his team and the recognition of teamwork.”

On there being no “Dez rules” or off-the-field limits in the contract:

“Correct. That was made possible by Roc Nation and Jay-Z. Now I know you said, ‘Boy, aren’t we mixing the chickens and eagles here?’ No. Jay-Z certainly is a great example there. He’s obviously very astute and not just talented and he has in his or he has in his plan a really ask several people of the different disciplines of music many different disciplines that are outstanding. Then he wants to have them and advise them on how they handle their affairs. He’s outstanding. I’ve had chance to spend some personal time with him and I am convinced that this is what he’s got at stake it for to step out of bounds with Dez it’s a step out of bounds with Roc Nation and Jay-Z. He doesn’t want that to happen. Now it’s going to always be a team effort for all of us and so I know that I’ve got work set aside in my day job to make this work. But I’m confident that that group can really do a good job of monitoring and helping advise Dez in his decisions off the field you have to listen and hear these news..”

On whether Jay Z took part in the negotiations:

“Not in the negotiation. He was involved in the ’painting’ of the picture about off the field decisions, and of course Dez is going to have the opportunity to make many of them. … We all should listen to him. He’s had tremendous success apart from being a great talent..” (More on what Jerry said about Jay Z here).

On if there was a disagreement with Stephen Jones and whether he had to make the final call:

“That’s not the way we work. Stephen and I confer constantly. I understand people have to say, “That’s the man.” The case is that I get a lot of input. If it’s a tie … I win that decision but that’s the way it goes in any organization. (On Dez,) we were unanimous. We were sitting there at 3 a.m. We were able to have a meeting of the minds where we were in sync.”

On the last time he severely disagreed with Stephen:

“One time (when the Cowboys signed Deion Sanders), he pushed me up against the wall and I said, ‘What are you going to do hit me?’ ”
On if this team is a Super Bowl contender:

“I don’t have to go there. I’ve been there. You (the media) have been especially critical. You shouldn’t be in my shoes unless you see the glass half full. You should be able to see the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.”

On if the Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald contracts hampered the Dez negotiations:

“They were problematic. They set a false financial perspective as it relates to the pay structure. That was a big issue as late as 3 o’clock in the morning.”

dallen

Senior Tech
I have no idea what half of that means

Cotton

Staff member
I have no idea what half of that means
:lol

I only made it about half way, and my head started hurting, so I quit reading.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A lot of that article sounds like old file stuff.

dallen

Senior Tech
This is not English:

"He’s obviously very astute and not just talented and he has in his or he has in his plan a really ask several people of the different disciplines of music many different disciplines that are outstanding."

Cotton

Staff member

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
This doesn't matter a bit, but it is quite amazing!

Cotton

Staff member
This doesn't matter a bit, but it is quite amazing!
I'm amazingly disinterested in your post, which is in itself, quite amazing.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
On there being no “Dez rules” or off-the-field limits in the contract:

“Correct. That was made possible by Roc Nation and Jay-Z. Now I know you said, ‘Boy, aren’t we mixing the chickens and eagles here?’ No. Jay-Z certainly is a great example there. He’s obviously very astute and not just talented and he has in his or he has in his plan a really ask several people of the different disciplines of music many different disciplines that are outstanding.
What in the flying shit does this mean?

And how is that in any way a proper response to the question?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think that's Jerryese for, "We're no longer going to try to keep Dez in line. That's Roc's job now."

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom