Bears could cut Carimi, two years after taking him in Round 1

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bears could cut Carimi, two years after taking him in Round 1

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 13, 2013, 4:24 PM EDT

In 2011, the previous regime in Chicago liked Gabe Carimi enough to pick him in the first round of the NFL draft. In 2013, the current regime in Chicago may not even like Carimi enough to give him a spot on the 53-man roster.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that Carimi is in the midst of a competition for a roster spot.

Carimi can play both guard and tackle, which would seem to improve his chances of making the roster, but a closer look at the line raises the question of where Carimi would fit: Jermon Bushrod is set as the starter at left tackle, and right tackle will be a competition between J’Marcus Webb and Jonathan Scott, with the loser between those two probably making the roster as a backup. The recently signed Matt Slauson and this year’s first-round draft pick, Kyle Long, will likely start at guard. That might leave Carimi battling to be the third guard on the 53-man roster, and he could easily lose that job to Edwin Williams because Williams has experience at center and could step in if starter Roberto Garza got hurt.

Carimi began his rookie season as the Bears’ starting right tackle, but he played in only two games in 2011 before suffering a season-ending knee injury. In 2012 Carimi played in all 16 games, starting 14, but he didn’t play particularly well: He was benched in November and only returned to the field when the Bears lost two guards to injuries.

So if Carimi doesn’t have a strong camp, he could be out of a job.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I knew he reminded me of someone...

~thinking of Rob Petitti~

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 1h
“@louisianajedi: @BryanBroaddus Do you think Jerry would consider Carimi if Da Bears cut him loose?” Had on board in first round.

Heh.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd bring him in for a look.

- mschmidt64

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Gabe Carimi is only Bear to skip first day of OTAs

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 14, 2013, 6:50 AM EDT

The talk that 2011 first-round draft pick Gabe Carimi is in danger of getting cut will only heat up after Carimi skipped the first day of Organized Team Activities on Monday.

Carimi was the only Bear who was eligible to participate who didn’t show up, according to ESPNChicago.com. A few other Bears, most notably first-round draft pick Kyle Long, are not eligible to participate because of the NFL rule keeping players who are still in college from attending OTAs while their schools are still in session.

There’s no word on why Carimi did not attend, but when you’re fighting for a roster spot, every day you miss is a day when you don’t get a chance to prove yourself. And that’s particularly problematic on a team like the Bears, where the new coaching staff is taking its first look at the players.

Carimi did participate in the Bears’ voluntary three-day minicamp that ended on April 18, but he hasn’t participated in any workouts since then.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Maybe I don't know enough about how he played...was he really that bad?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe I don't know enough about how he played...was he really that bad?
It hasn't been good.

At the expense of sounding like Schmitty, I would still put in a waiver claim...even though his pass blocking pretty awful.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
They should at least take a peak.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am all for bringing anyone in who could help at RT. Not to excuse poor play, but Cutler is also pretty much an asshole to play for on the OL. He shows up his OL and that could wear a guy out...I would not be surprised if that was part of the issue.

D

Deuce

I don't see how you give on on a 1st round pick so soon. Some guys need work to catch up to the speed of the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't see how you give on on a 1st round pick so soon. Some guys need work to catch up to the speed of the game.
We gave up on Bobby Carpenter in just a few years.

Carimi's thing is that he's a mauler in a passing offense. He probably is resisting the move inside to guard too.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't buy the speed of the game BS...he played in the Big Ten, he saw some talent.

D

Deuce

I don't buy the speed of the game BS...he played in the Big Ten, he saw some talent.
That kind of goes with my point. If we're talking about leagues with elite speed rushers, the Big 10 is the last one I think of.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He played in a run first offense, nothing like the Martz offense he was drafted into or even what it became after Martz was canned. He is an aggressive player who gets out of position because he's aggressive. He's not getting knocked on his arse.

Carp

DCC 4Life
That kind of goes with my point. If we're talking about leagues with elite speed rushers, the Big 10 is the last one I think of.
Feh. Let's not pretend the Big 10 is not a good football conference. Speed of the game is a poor excuse.

D

Deuce

Feh. Let's not pretend the Big 10 is not a good football conference. Speed of the game is a poor excuse.
It's a good conference, just a different style. It's hardnosed, smashmouth football which is a dying breed in college. If you look at the top end speed rushers coming into the draft, it's from the SEC, Pac 12, Big 12 and the ACC (basically FSU). The only DE's that were considered elite from the Big 10 recently are busts like Gholston and Maybin.

It's also why Urban Meyer can step into the conference and dominate from the start despite not having the high end quality talent his offense is used to.

Top Bottom