QB Controversy Thread...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
This is going to change so much with the next 2-3 games... If Dak keeps killing it and winning the Romo talk will die down; if Dak loses those games and starts looking human the talk about his momentum will die down.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
This is going to change so much with the next 2-3 games... If Dak keeps killing it and winning the Romo talk will die down; if Dak loses those games and starts looking human the talk about his momentum will die down.
That's true.

How they perform in these next 2 games against their toughest competition yet will settle the argument one way or the other.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I actually don't think it will settle the argument because I expect to lose but I also think Dak will continue to look pretty good.

What I think will settle the argument is how well or how poorly Romo plays when he gets back.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I actually don't think it will settle the argument because I expect to lose but I also think Dak will continue to look pretty good.

What I think will settle the argument is how well or how poorly Romo plays when he gets back.
I don't know, man.

I don't expect them to, but let's say the Cowboys beat both Cincy and Green Bay and do so while moving the football well and scoring points.

Do you really think the Cowboys should remove Dak from the lineup if that were to happen? And do you think they'd still do it if this were to happen with pressure mounting from all over to keep Prescott in as the starter?

I've been of the belief that Romo would come back in no matter what, but if he keeps getting better and they somehow manage to win both games, then I think they'd actually consider leaving Dak in there......I mean, they'd have to at least give it some thought if the next 2 weeks worked out so well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think it would be a Jerry-level decision and I'd be shocked if Romo doesn't return to the lineup regardless. Almost as shocked as I'd be with them beating both Cincinnati and Green Bay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been of the belief that Romo would come back in no matter what, but if he keeps getting better and they somehow manage to win both games, then I think they'd actually consider leaving Dak in there......I mean, they'd have to at least give it some thought if the next 2 weeks worked out so well.
The outrage would be insane, most Cowboys fans would be furious if they benched Dak in that situation. You'd here the boo birds come hard the second Romo does something negative.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Exactly. I understand the belief that we need to move on, but this is different than Brady/Bledsoe.

Bledsoe's style had become completely misaligned with his teams supporting talent for some time before he got hurt. No OL, pedestrian WRs, average running game, strong defense-- not a fit for immobile, big-armed Bledsoe. Meanwhile Brady fit it perfectly with his ball control style as a young QB.

Here it's the opposite. With a healthy Dez and Elliott the Cowboy offense is an AMG Mercedes. Perfect to protect Romo and cater to his passing skills and creativity.

Dak ain't there yet. He will be one day and the time he's spent on the field thus far is gravy. Unlike Romo, Dak hasn't had to carry the team so much as keep it running.

Remember, we've played some bad teams until now.

With this supporting cast, Romo's just better at this point. The beauty is if he gets hurt again, we still have Dak.
It really is this simple.
I haven't seen anyone claim Romo can't play anymore. What I'm saying, among others, is that Romo is not coming back midseason as the 2014 Romo. I can confidently say that, because of all the time he has missed.

So...do you continue to ride with a rookie QB who is making great decisions with the ball, running the offense efficiently, and among other things has this offense as #2 in the league while also scoring at #11 in the league? To me arguing to put Romo back in the lineup is about as retarded as it gets as long as the team keeps putting up the numbers it has with Dak.

Yeah, so the ranking is not against the best teams in the league right now...but that is the parity of the NFL anyways. Any of the teams we played can go on a run and end up in the playoffs. No one can forecast that right now.

I expect Dak to falter....its bound to happen because this D sucks dick of epic proportions and it simply will put him at a disadvantage of having to keep coming from behind to win games. Not fair to a rookie QB.

But Romo is as much a liability, he is rusty and hasn't been in the heat of a full game in almost 2 years. He cannot evade the rush anymore. He will be protecting that collarbone, and now his back will be on his mind when DC's bring guys after him. He'll give up 3-4 drives a game on 3rd down because he's sacked or goes to the ground without being touched.

They are both liabilities if everyone will be honest about it. The difference is the rookie liability will continue to hopefully learn and get better, and the veteran liability just continues to get injured.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I haven't seen anyone claim Romo can't play anymore. What I'm saying, among others, is that Romo is not coming back midseason as the 2014 Romo. I can confidently say that, because of all the time he has missed.

So...do you continue to ride with a rookie QB who is making great decisions with the ball, running the offense efficiently, and among other things has this offense as #2 in the league while also scoring at #11 in the league? To me arguing to put Romo back in the lineup is about as retarded as it gets as long as the team keeps putting up the numbers it has with Dak.

Yeah, so the ranking is not against the best teams in the league right now...but that is the parity of the NFL anyways. Any of the teams we played can go on a run and end up in the playoffs. No one can forecast that right now.

I expect Dak to falter....its bound to happen because this D sucks dick of epic proportions and it simply will put him at a disadvantage of having to keep coming from behind to win games. Not fair to a rookie QB.

But Romo is as much a liability, he is rusty and hasn't been in the heat of a full game in almost 2 years. He cannot evade the rush anymore. He will be protecting that collarbone, and now his back will be on his mind when DC's bring guys after him. He'll give up 3-4 drives a game on 3rd down because he's sacked or goes to the ground without being touched.

They are both liabilities if everyone will be honest about it. The difference is the rookie liability will continue to hopefully learn and get better, and the veteran liability just continues to get injured.

I pointed this out a couple of weeks ago.

When Romo returns I think the Cowboys' 3rd down conversion rates are going to take a significant dip because of the reasons that you mentioned. Romo won't have the ability or mindset to scramble and extend plays like Dak. He'll probably be in self-preservation mode which means we're going to see fewer of those long, time consuming drives that Dak's been providing us.

Romo's going to get his job back and I've come to grips with that, even though I don't agree with it. My only hope is that they aren't too loyal to him. If he goes into a 2 or 3 game funk where the offense is struggling to put up points and he's turning the ball over, I would hope that Garrett has the common sense to place the needs/welfare of the team above his Romo bromance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

That's the bottom line. Romo's future is in his own hands.

kidd

DCC 4Life
For the record, I'm not expecting Romo to come in and light it up from his first snap.

He'll be rusty Just like he was his first game against SF to open up 2014.

But if you all will remember, the next two games against the Rams and Titans, we leaned heavily on the running game while he knocked the rust off and he went on to have the best season of his career.

This is the basis of what I'm trying to say.

Everyone is trying to bury him before they even know he's dead.

His first two games would be against Philadelphia and Cleveland. Both games can be winnable. The we open it up some against Pittsburgh and see how he performs.

If he can shake off the rust and ply himself back to form, he will be the superior QB and give us the best chance to win.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
So how many games are we going to piss away for him to shake off his rust?

This is just laughable at this point

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

:lol

Jerruh says Tony gives this team its best chance to win, relative to losing.

WUT.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Jerruh says Tony gives this team its best chance to win, relative to losing.

WUT.
I don't have a dog in this fight but I do think Romo's experience gives hiim an edge. The question to be answered is how he holds up physically.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

You guys are talking with certainty about stuff that hasn't happened yet all while assuming a rookie is going to lead the team deep into the playoffs.

And that's not laughable?

Even Brady was in his second year. Ditto Russell. Big Ben too.

All three had crappy passing games, leaned on the run, and had excellent to dominant defenses.

Dallas is nearly the opposite. Dallas needs a QB playing at a high level.

Our QB can't throw 4 picks vs Green Bay in the playoffs and rely on the defense to keep him in the game.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If definitely ride it out until next season to see how things shake out. Unless you get a great trade for the dude. Sometimes teams give great picks for old QBs as there are few to go around.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If definitely ride it out until next season to see how things shake out. Unless you get a great trade for the dude. Sometimes teams give great picks for old QBs as there are few to go around.
Does that mean you bring Romo back or keep Dak in.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't really know honestly. If he keeps rolling you keep him in IMO but why not carry Romo for another year?
Maybe but I can't see Jones sitting Romo with his payroll to play a rookie for another year. If that was to happen I think Dak would be bitter because of his position versus what he is getting paid. Money will play a large part of the decision process.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Actually it would stunt his growth.

Actually it wouldn't. QBs learn by sitting and watching much better than they do being thrown into the fire. It's just that these days teams claim they don't have the luxury of letting high picks sit.

We do have that luxury.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Nothing is dying down. Dak could be 5-1, Romo is getting his job back.

Top Bottom