Williams: All Jerry wants to do is win

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sean Payton: I don't know if there is anyone in the league that wants to win more than Jerry Jones

If Jerry Jones wants to spend more time on the sideline, Saints coach Sean Payton says that's what the Cowboys owner should do.

Payton and Jones have remained friends since Payton left for New Orleans in 2006 after three seasons as an assistant under Bill Parcells in Dallas. Payton maintains a second home in Tarrant County.

"It was never a distraction," Payton said of Jones. "I would say I have a close relationship with Mr. Jones. He was extremely supportive. He and Bill [Parcells] really worked well together. I think one of the great traits he has is I don’t know if there is anyone in this league that wants to win as much as he does. That competitive fire, whether you are up in the suite or in the stands like Mr. [Mark] Cuban, down on the sidelines, shoot they are the owners, they can be anywhere in the stadium they want to be. I think there is a personality with Jerry that is very contagious. My experience in the three years there was outstanding. It was a great work environment and very supportive. I think as a coach or player the only time you would pay attention to that was in a big win maybe at the very end, but no absolutely not.”

A couple of years ago at the combine, after the Saints had won their first title, Payton ordered a bottle of wine that the restaurant had set aside for Jones the next night. He and his party enjoyed the Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon and left the empty bottle with a note for Jones and the Cowboys: WHO DAT! World Champions XLIV. Sean Payton.

Jones enjoyed the joke.

-- Charean Williams

superpunk

Banned
"I would say I have a close relationship with Mr. Jones. He was extremely supportive. He and Bill [Parcells] really worked well together. I think one of the great traits he has is I don’t know if there is anyone in this league that wants to win as much as he does. That competitive fire, whether you are up in the suite or in the stands like Mr. [Mark] Cuban, down on the sidelines, shoot they are the owners, they can be anywhere in the stadium they want to be. I think there is a personality with Jerry that is very contagious. My experience in the three years there was outstanding. It was a great work environment and very supportive. I think as a coach or player the only time you would pay attention to that was in a big win maybe at the very end, but no absolutely not.”
No matter how many former coaches come out and say it, forum posters know better.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No matter how many former coaches come out and say it, forum posters know better.
Being eager, supportive and enthusiastic doesn't mean shit if the guy has no intention of ever letting someone else get the credit.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
"Wants to win" is the biggest meaningless compliment. Who the frick doesn't "want to win"?

It's up there with, "he loved to laugh", as if anyone hates to laugh.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
"Wants to win" is the biggest meaningless compliment. Who the frick doesn't "want to win"?

It's up there with, "he loved to laugh", as if anyone hates to laugh.
But he wants to win, like, uhh...more than anyone else.

Like there are 31 owners running around wanting to lose. It is so good for business.

It is an empty compliment because that is the best thing someone can say about him.

It will be a cold day in hell when some coach etc. compliments Jerry's mad GM skills.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Does he want to win? Go poach one of the proven best personnel guys in the league and an elite, franchise leader head coach.

Cause that's how you win.

Has he done that yet? No?

Oh.

Top Bottom