With Playoff Spot Secured Should Romo Play Now?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You had better pray that you get the 2014 Tony Romo, and not the Tony Romo who's hardly played in two full seasons. If Romo gets called on to deliver the promise that Dak has ushered in and then
lays an egg, we're hosed. And wait to hear the backlash afterward.
Of course.

Unlike Ravi, Geng, Schmitty and a few others, I'm not totally confident that today's Romo can even go in there and play at a high level.

That has been one the arguments I've made for leaving Dak as the starter.

Having said that, if Dak keep sliding and sliding, we have to at least TRY to salvage such a promising season and see if Romo can play like his old self and keep our chances alive of making it to a SB.

If it doesn't work, then so be it. But I would hate to watch this offense turn to crap and go out of the playoffs with a whimper and wonder what might have happened if we had just given Romo a chance.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Of course.

Unlike Ravi, Geng, Schmitty and a few others, I'm not totally confident that today's Romo can even go in there and play at a high level.

That has been one the arguments I've made for leaving Dak as the starter.

Having said that, if Dak keep sliding and sliding, we have to at least TRY to salvage such a promising season and see if Romo can play like his old self and keep our chances alive of making it to a SB.

If it doesn't work, then so be it. But I would hate to watch this offense turn to crap and go out of the playoffs with a whimper and wonder what might have happened if we had just given Romo a chance.
Exactly what my sentiments have been.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So when do you conceivably pull that trigger?

Rayman

Brand New Member
So when do you conceivably pull that trigger?
There is no logical way to answer. Who ever heard of a 11-2 team with a QB controversy? I don't envy management if we lose to Tampa and the offense is to blame.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
There is no logical way to answer. Who ever heard of a 11-2 team with a QB controversy? I don't envy management if we lose to Tampa and the offense is to blame.
That seems like the most logical time to me.

Win or lose, if Dak and that offense put up another stinker on Sunday, it's time to make a change.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No, I'm getting caught up in points per game and offensive efficiency.

In 2 games, this offense drove the length of the field only twice.

They've only scored 3 total TDs with one of them coming off a ST turnover that put us in a goal to go situation.

No matter how much you try to shine the turd up, you can't. This offense stinks right now and Dak's struggles are one of the reasons why.
Correct. But people are in so deep with claiming Dak is the end all be all while shitting on Romo, they're afraid to be wrong now. I don't give a fuck who plays. Just win.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Run the ball more, and this entire conversation is moot.

Cut Dunbar too.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Correct. But people are in so deep with claiming Dak is the end all be all while shitting on Romo, they're afraid to be wrong now. I don't give a fuck who plays. Just win.
Exactly.

I don't have a personal preference. I just want to watch them win something important for the first time in my adult life.

I'm not clinging to either guy like some type of cheerleader. I can see both sides of the argument and use logic when assessing the situation. And just how logic told me that sticking with Dak was the right thing to do back in October/November, that same logic is telling me that an ugly pattern is starting to form and if it continues for another week, we'd be wise to give the former Pro-Bowl QB on the bench a shot to rejuvenate the team.

Why does it have to be anything more than that?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly.

I don't have a personal preference. I just want to watch them win something important for the first time in my adult life.

I'm not clinging to either guy like some type of cheerleader. I can see both sides of the argument and use logic when assessing the situation. And just how logic told me that sticking with Dak was the right thing to do back in October/November, that same logic is telling me that an ugly pattern is starting to form and if it continues for another week, we'd be wise to give the former Pro-Bowl QB on the bench a shot to rejuvenate the team.

Why does it have to be anything more than that?
It's a question of what is the bigger prize and at what point does it seem to be sliding into Jepordy. The immediate big prize is home field advantage and if things are not in an upward trending mode after Sunday then it's probably time to pull the trigger because there will only be two games left and they cannot be ignored further. From there it's then a matter of what is the best approach to move forward.

Again my preference is for Dak to change the trend but it will be hard if the current game plans are used. Dak is limited by being a rookie and not having the benefit of a complete playbook with the passing game chemistry. It's too late in the season for a quick fix so the coaching staff is going to have to design a better downfield pitch and catch plan.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They have a defense, we don't. Big difference.
He asked I answered.

Unlike Denver, Dallas's QB has to consistently make plays. If Dak's struggles continue, we're not going very far.

It's not a controversy yet, but each game now becomes much harder.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I'm getting caught up in points per game and offensive efficiency.

In 2 games, this offense drove the length of the field only twice.

They've only scored 3 total TDs with one of them coming off a ST turnover that put us in a goal to go situation.

No matter how much you try to shine the turd up, you can't. This offense stinks right now and Dak's struggles are one of the reasons why.
:lol

So you blame Dak for the penalties and running game? Because those are included in the offensive efficiency and points per game. Funny how points per game matters for you suddenly on offense. But all you care about is yards when we talk defense.

And you bring up efficiency, so how about QB efficiency, which you seem to poo poo even though Daks was great against the Vikes. Seems like backwards logic.

If you think that there isn't a massive difference between what Dak did to the Vikes and what he did to the Giants then you just don't have a clue about QBs.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is no great mystery that we have played the three best defenses all year the last three weeks. Part of it is on Prescott, but the staff has let him down too. The offense just has not looked prepared. Probably got fat and happy too after a sloppy win got a ton of Garrett atta boys.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It is no great mystery that we have played the three best defenses all year the last three weeks. Part of it is on Prescott, but the staff has let him down too. The offense just has not looked prepared. Probably got fat and happy too after a sloppy win got a ton of Garrett atta boys.
:roboclap

2233boys

Not So New Member
I don't think the issue has necessarily been Dak so much as the entire offense, and getting away from the run. I think our offensive game plan in the last game, specifically the second half, cost the game.

Just for comparisons.
Dak's first year as a starter
Comp
Attempts

Yrds

Comp Pct

Yrds per pass

Td

Int

QB Rating

Brady's first year as a starter
Comp

Attempts

Comp Pct

Yrds

yrds pee pass

Tds

Int

QB Rating

This isn't to say Dak is Brady or anything like that but the situations are similar.

Plus Brady had 6 games with under 200 yrds passing, and one with under 100 yrds passing. Tap the brakes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[MENTION=30]2233boys[/MENTION]...rather than quote the post....

It is not getting away from the run. If your star back gets 100 and you only score 7 points, something else is wrong. The QB takes blame, but so does the design and gameplans. Dallas got out coached by Minny and especially Spagnuolo again. If it happens in Tampa, who I think is playing over their heads defensively, it is officially a worry. That just means the same staff that struggled to get points with Weeden, Cassell etc is still weak and probably need Romo to bail them out on the field again.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

It is not getting away from the run. If your star back gets 100 and you only score 7 points, something else is wrong. The QB takes blame, but so does the design and gameplans. Dallas got out coached by Minny and especially Spagnuolo again. If it happens in Tampa, who I think is playing over their heads defensively, it is officially a worry. That just means the same staff that struggled to get points with Weeden, Cassell etc is still weak and probably need Romo to bail them out on the field again.
That's pretty much the way I see it. In addition the Cowboys did squat when they were gifted with turnovers. With a hundred yards rushing and turnovers handed up, the problem is pretty revealing. The OL played well enough for the QB to deliver the ball. There is an obvious problem with the QB and receiving corp or the schemes used via the coaching staff were a big screw up. There isn't anywhere to look.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Linehan has been solid, but you can't discount that he has been part of a staff that hasn't been able to outcoach the opposition when Romo hasn't been around.

Now, he has done a fine job up to this point with Dak, but as you said, if that good coaching only had a shelf life because teams didn't have film, then his shortcomings as a coach may need to be looked at as well.

I'll put it to you this way, because of the offensive tendencies I've seen from this team since Garrett became HC, I wouldn't mind seeing a good offensive coach who commands respect come in and scrap some things. That's why I'd actually look forward to seeing what Norv Turner could do here.

Linehan is a respected coach, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that Garrett is just gonna hand over the reigns to. In fact, there are still far too many elements from the shitty Garrett offense in place. Turner has the skins on the wall and the respect from Garrett to run the offense as he sees fit.

Whether it's Turner or someone else, that is something I think this offense needs and has needed for a long time.

Top Bottom