Wentz or Prescott Article

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I agree with this conclusion for now. It's early and it's hard to go from thinking Wentz is a number 1 pick candidate and Dak is a fourth round candidate to suddenly saying Dak is the better QB prospect. Things like that don't change over night. It takes years. And frankly the physical tools Wentz has will always draw in scouts. He is bigger then Dak and has a stronger arm.

The part of the article that I laugh at though is the part that claims Wentz is better at reading a defense and getting through his progressions. I don't think that could be further from the truth. Wentz looks like a one read QB back there while I'm watching a polished Dak go through progressions. I think this is just a scouts way of saying "Wentz played in an NFL style offense in college, Dak didn't, so Wentz must be better at this." Honestly I think either guy would look great for us right now though. So I have no complains.
The stats through the first few games bares this out, as well. Wentz threw to like 70% of his first reads as opposed to like 50-something% for Dak. Dak absolutely goes through his reads more often.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The stats through the first few games bares this out, as well. Wentz threw to like 70% of his first reads as opposed to like 50-something% for Dak. Dak absolutely goes through his reads more often.
Dak does it more often and more quickly. It's why Wentz throws far more designed stuff at or behind the line of scrimmage. When he throws down field you see him forcing balls into coverage because he doesn't have the ability yet to sort of see a man covered and go on to the next guy. Of course his pass protection doesn't really allow that either. Wentz never has long to throw the ball in Philly.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Article sounds like these personnel guys are still a bit defensive for completely whiffing on Dak.

Making excuses why Dak has been better, blah, blah, blah....

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Personally I think it's too early to make final determinations on either of them. The season isn't half over yet and the real test is still ahead. I'll wait for the battles to get a little further down the road. Both are good prospects who are doing very well to this point.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Obviously Dak's in a better situation but I think you do him a huge disservice if you try to discredit his accomplishments just because of his supporting cast.

The Cowboys had a top 10 running game last year, the same OL, the same WRs (including a hobbled/injured Dez), and the same coaching staff. Obviously Zeke is an upgrade over McFadden, but overall Dak's in a situation that really isn't that different from last year's team.

Dak steps into a very comparable situation as Weeden, Cassel, and Moore and is excelling where they failed miserably.

So apparently driving this Cowboys' bus isn't as easy as some want to make it out to be. Maybe he's just so good that he's making it look easy and effortless. I prefer to look at it like that. That's why I refuse to assume that Wentz would perform just as well with this offense or that the supporting cast should get the bulk of the credit for Dak's success. Because we all saw last year that a strong OL & running game doesn't magically turn average QBs into good QBs.

So I'll give Dak his props rather than knock him down a peg.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So apparently driving this Cowboys' bus isn't as easy as some want to make it out to be. Maybe he's just so good that he's making it look easy and effortless. I prefer to look at it like that. That's why I refuse to assume that Wentz would perform just as well with this offense or that the supporting cast should get the bulk of the credit for Dak's success. Because we all saw last year that a strong OL & running game doesn't magically turn average QBs into good QBs.

So I'll give Dak his props rather than knock him down a peg.
Couldn't agree more. Our offense was dog shit last year. Same offensive line and receivers and Dak is leading the best offense in the NFL. Obviously Zeke is a big part of that as well. Sort of like Murray in 2014.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Couldn't agree more. Our offense was dog shit last year. Same offensive line and receivers and Dak is leading the best offense in the NFL. Obviously Zeke is a big part of that as well. Sort of like Murray in 2014.
Absolutely.

Unfortunately people will use the OL and supporting cast as the crutch to give Wentz the nod mainly to back up their pre-draft assessments as Bipo mentioned.

Only some of it is true.

When you look at what Dak has done no way do you think this is a guy about to play his 7th game.

shane

DCC 4Life
Speaking of Goff, Jeff Fisher is an idiot.

If it were the Cowboys and I had to hear Jeff Fisher's baseless defense of Case Keenum and his outright refusal to play Goff, I'd be furious.

I mean, Fisher just isn't a very good coach anymore. I was a fan of his, but he proved years ago that the game has passed him by. Because of that, I can't just outright assume that Goff is just terrible.

But if in fact it truly is because Goff just looks like hot garbage in practice, then the Rams have just been set back for another 5 years at least.
You're obviously not going to be putting him in the best situation there and he hasn't impressed up to this point. Fisher might have a point to sit out Goff.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm a big believer that most QBs benefit long term from sitting and watching at least a little bit. I don't understand the big deal about Goff sitting.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm a big believer that most QBs benefit long term from sitting and watching at least a little bit. I don't understand the big deal about Goff sitting.
I think it has to do with how bad Keenum is or perceived to be. If you are playing Keenum then you might as well just play Goff.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That used to be the status Quo before salary caps and roster number reductions. That plus other circumstances prompted the play immediately mentality.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it has to do with how bad Keenum is or perceived to be. If you are playing Keenum then you might as well just play Goff.
That's exactly what it is.

If you don't think Goff can at least play to Keenum's level, then what does that say about where Goff is right now?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Sitting and watching can certainly be beneficial but as I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago, sitting and watching probably isn't as useful as it used to be.

I say this because most of today's QBs have been in specialized passing camps, have worked with specialized trainers, and have been in semi-sophisticated passing systems since their early teenage years. So a lot of these guys are far more polished when they hit the league than QBs from 15+ years ago. I've seen Aaron Rodgers and other QBs/analysts point out the same thing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Goff also looked horrific in the preseason, like, he didn't even flash at all. Wentz struggled some too but there were a few flashes, Goff just looked confused.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It can be but I also wonder how much good it really does for a QB to sit and learn. There are only so many reps during practice during the season. The majority of the reps during practice are going to the starting QB. I think at some point you can only learn so much by watching and eventually need to start learning by doing. This isn't training camp where your massive roster size allows you to have your backup getting a lot of reps. Instead you're dealing with the practice restrictions of regular season.

To me the only reason to hold Goff back at this point is because you think your offensive line is so bad that you risk damaging him forever by playing him.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Sitting and watching can certainly be beneficial but as I mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago, sitting and watching probably isn't as useful as it used to be.

I say this because most of today's QBs have been in specialized passing camps, have worked with specialized trainers, and have been in semi-sophisticated passing systems since their early teenage years. So a lot of these guys are far more polished when they hit the league than QBs from 15+ years ago. I've seen Aaron Rodgers and other QBs/analysts point out the same thing.
Aaron Rodgers sat for an eternity behind Favruh...
And I think it helped him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the assumption. Of course none of us really know. Maybe he would have been a stud 6 games into his rookie season. We just never had the chance to see that. I don't really think that's the case but it's hard to predict what would have happened had he played right away.

At some point they will have to bite the bullet and find out on Goff. They aren't going anywhere with the shit they have on the field right now anyway.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm not arguing that it doesn't help because there are numerous examples that support both sides of the argument.

But what I am saying is that sitting and watching probably isn't as important or as necessary as it used to be.....for those abovementioned reasons.

Also Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre is a completely different scenario than most situations. Favre was a decorated veteran so I'd have no issues having my 1st round QB sit behind him. That's a no-brainer, IMO.

But if I were a Rams fan I'd probably be testy as well if my 1st overall pick were stuck sitting behind a WGAS JAG like Keenum. Those are the situations where I'd rather my franchise QB learn through trial and error rather than sitting behind guys like Keenum and Ryan Fitzpatrick. WTF are you going to learn from them that's so special? How to throw multiple INTs in a game and mismanage an offense?

So I think you definitely have to take it as a case by case basis.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not arguing that it doesn't help because there are numerous examples that support both sides of the argument.

But what I am saying is that sitting and watching probably isn't as important or as necessary as it used to be.....for those abovementioned reasons.

Also Aaron Rodgers sitting behind Favre is a completely different scenario than most situations. Favre was a decorated veteran so I'd have no issues having my 1st round QB sit behind him. That's a no-brainer, IMO.

But if I were a Rams fan I'd probably be testy as well if my 1st overall pick were stuck sitting behind a WGAS JAG like Keenum. Those are the situations where I'd rather my franchise QB learn through trial and error rather than sitting behind guys like Keenum and Ryan Fitzpatrick. WTF are you going to learn from them that's so special? How to throw multiple INTs in a game and mismanage an offense?

So I think you definitely have to take it as a case by case basis.
Theoretically they're learning how to read defenses, study tape, make line calls, etc., it's not that they are learning literally from the QB in front of them, it's more from the coaching staff.

Top Bottom