2016 College Football Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Like the old Eagles fans. I see...
LBK is a unique place during rival games. It's gets very Oakland Raiderish during those games. We don't have a lot of the things that huge football programs have but we do have that. Basically if you come to LBK we hate your guts. Obsesnities and drunken yelling is commonplace.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
LBK is a unique place during rival games. It's gets very Oakland Raiderish during those games. We don't have a lot of the things that huge football programs have but we do have that. Basically if you come to LBK we hate your guts. Obsesnities and drunken yelling is commonplace.
I only kid, I do that same stuff when I go to an Iowa game. Hell our fans were throwing things on the fields against Northwestern when the officiating got so bad that fans could no longer stand it.

D

Deuce

Did they pull a Jim Ross from WWE for the audio for that one? It's perfect.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I only kid, I do that same stuff when I go to an Iowa game. Hell our fans were throwing things on the fields against Northwestern when the officiating got so bad that fans could no longer stand it.

We just randomly yell obscenities.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It wouldn't surprise me.

As I said before, he's coached for a long time in the state of TX so I thought that would probably give UT an advantage over LSU.

I'm not sure how to feel about that hire, though. I know he's a very hot commodity and the guy has gotten better and better, so in the regard it is a move that creates some optimism.

On the other hand, while he's a big up-and-comer, he's not this proven and established winner like a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer -- a guy that you know is a guarantee to win.

Also, he's an offensive guy and that isn't our problem. Our defense is and has been an absolute disaster so I'm very curious to see what he's going to do to improve that side of the ball.

Either way, Charlie Strong is a dead man walking. If Herman is in fact the guy, then I hope he is as good as a lot of people think he is.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me.

As I said before, he's coached for a long time in the state of TX so I thought that would probably give UT an advantage over LSU.

I'm not sure how to feel about that hire, though. I know he's a very hot commodity and the guy has gotten better and better, so in the regard it is a move that creates some optimism.

On the other hand, while he's a big up-and-comer, he's not this proven and established winner like a Nick Saban or Urban Meyer -- a guy that you know is a guarantee to win.

Also, he's an offensive guy and that isn't our problem. Our defense is and has been an absolute disaster so I'm very curious to see what he's going to do to improve that side of the ball.

Either way, Charlie Strong is a dead man walking. If Herman is in fact the guy, then I hope he is as good as a lot of people think he is.
You will be joining the rest of the Crap 12 with gadgets offenses and defenses that give up 40 points. Congrats.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You will be joining the rest of the Crap 12 with gadgets offenses and defenses that give up 40 points. Congrats.
And that is exactly what I do not want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't surprise me.

Charlie Strong was supposed to be a great defensive coach, where did that get you?

Honestly as an Iowa fan, I'd love Herman. He has coached with top guys like Urban Meyer and he is a proven winner as a head coach.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Charlie Strong was supposed to be a great defensive coach, where did that get you?

Honestly as an Iowa fan, I'd love Herman. He has coached with top guys like Urban Meyer and he is a proven winner as a head coach.
Strong had the same pedigree basically. His extreme old fashion style is not a good fit at UT IMO. That's too bad because he really is a good coach. He's just at the wrong place and the wrong time. Trying to transform a country club team into a super disciplined team is rough. That and the level of politics at UT is crazy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Strong had the same pedigree basically. His extreme old fashion style is not a good fit at UT IMO. That's too bad because he really is a good coach. He's just at the wrong place and the wrong time. Trying to transform a country club team into a super disciplined team is rough. That and the level of politics at UT is crazy.
Yeah I think Strong will do well when he goes somewhere else. I think going back to a program on the same tier as a Louisville would be perfect for him.

Also the problem with Texas is that they think of themselves as a school still in the same ilk as an Ohio State or Alabama. At this point they have fallen from those type of ranks.

Cotton

Staff member
I hate UT. Like a lot.

Just felt compelled to say that.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yeah I think Strong will do well when he goes somewhere else. I think going back to a program on the same tier as a Louisville would be perfect for him.

Also the problem with Texas is that they think of themselves as a school still in the same ilk as an Ohio State or Alabama. At this point they have fallen from those type of ranks.
As far as prestige and money they are with the top dogs in the country. Right now the product on the field is not. A quick turnaround should be possible with the right hire.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As far as prestige and money they are with the top dogs in the country. Right now the product on the field is not. A quick turnaround should be possible with the right hire.
Eh, I think their recruiting has sort of fallen to shit. I think they will need more then just an energetic coach for a quick turnaround. They need to build the talent over the course of a few seasons. I don't think they are the draw to coaches and players that they used to be or like elite teams. It's why an Urban Meyer or Nick Saban type probably wouldn't go to Texas.

Cotton

Staff member
Eh, I think their recruiting has sort of fallen to shit. I think they will need more then just an energetic coach for a quick turnaround. They need to build the talent over the course of a few seasons. I don't think they are the draw to coaches and players that they used to be or like elite teams. It's why an Urban Meyer or Nick Saban type probably wouldn't go to Texas.
If I remember correctly, they had one of the top recruiting classes last year. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I remember correctly, they had one of the top recruiting classes last year. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that.
I think there is a large gap between websites rankings and players actual abilities. For example Texas has still had good recruiting classes according to Rivals and other websites. But if you asked me if the talent on Texas's roster reflects that of a top team, I'd say hell no. And maybe that speaks to the scouting that Texas does.

It's sort of like an NFL team winning best draft by Kiper every year but still performing like shit on the field.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think there is a large gap between websites rankings and players actual abilities. For example Texas has still had good recruiting classes according to Rivals and other websites. But if you asked me if the talent on Texas's roster reflects that of a top team, I'd say hell no. And maybe that speaks to the scouting that Texas does.

It's sort of like an NFL team winning best draft by Kiper every year but still performing like shit on the field.

I agree that they suck now but I wouldn't kid yourself about the national prestige. I don't think that Saban or Meyers is a good fit for Texas or the Big 12. If say that Texas screwed themselves by making the Big 12 suck. That has more impact overall than folks realize IMO. We are basically conference USA right now.

Cotton

Staff member
I agree that they suck now but I wouldn't kid yourself about the national prestige. I don't think that Saban or Meyers is a good fit for Texas or the Big 12. If say that Texas screwed themselves by making the Big 12 suck. That has more impact overall than folks realize IMO. We are basically conference USA right now.
I would agree with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom