The Running Back position will doom us or not thread...

hstour

Brand New Member
The Cowboys also worked out wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, a first-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers in 2012. After failing to catch a pass as a rookie, he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs and caught 17 passes for 223 yards in two seasons there.

The Cowboys also worked out wide receivers Kris Durham, Tommy Streeter and B.J. Cunningham. Durham played for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan for two years with the Detroit Lions with his best season coming in 2013, when he caught 38 passes for 490 yards and two touchdowns. He caught four passes for 54 yards in a win against Dallas that year.

I guess this means we are super concerned about WR as well? Dez better watch out.
I was going to point out the WRs they worked out too. They do this every Tuesday during the regular season so they have some 1st hand knowledge of who's out there and available should they be needed.

It's how they found Selvie the year that the injury bug swept through the defense.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We're good in a lot of areas and have improved in some. But our running game is one of the main reasons we had as much success as we did last year and now it's an area of concern. It could work out but I think it's a gamble to count on a reclamation project and our backups.
Agree. It wasn't an accident last season that the concentration to the running game and a 12-4 season happened at the same time.

townsend

Banned
We're good in a lot of areas and have improved in some. But our running game is one of the main reasons we had as much success as we did last year and now it's an area of concern. It could work out but I think it's a gamble to count on a reclamation project and our backups.
Fair point. But I think, of any, gambling at the RB position is one of the less risky gambles. Compared to going into a season with a question mark at QB, OL, or pass rusher. Much less likely an unknown can step up and produce from those positions. For that reason I believe (since almost no team goes into the season without question marks) we've controlled risks as well as possible.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Fair point. But I think, of any, gambling at the RB position is one of the less risky gambles. Compared to going into a season with a question mark at QB, OL, or pass rusher. Much less likely an unknown can step up and produce from those positions. For that reason I believe (since almost no team goes into the season without question marks) we've controlled risks as well as possible.
That assumes the defense is fixed. With Hardy as a question mark and the secondary somewhat unsettled, I'm not sure the defense will automatically be miles ahead of last season. I hope they will. Even if they are world beaters the offense being a balanced attack is still questionable.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
:lol So desperate they are looking at Felix.

But we're idiots for thinking this running back corps is inadequate. :picard
Seriously.

Why were RB's so high on the needs list they brought in every damned college back worth half a shit? Why are the working out these guys at all? Why do the Cowboys have the names of "several veterans" in reserve?

This is the one thing that can fuck everything else up, like the Patriots discovering their identity as a passing team only to have no one for Brady to pass the ball to in the 2006-2007 playoffs vs. the Colts. They corrected the shit out of it the next year adding Moss and Welker, but what a colossal fuck up in the years prior.

The analogy is generally the same, though it's actually a bigger fuck-up for us because RBs are easier to find than WRs.

Does anyone deny the Cowboys became a running team last year? How do you architect that identity with one hand and then build a roster with four never-was/backup/project running backs with the other hand?

It's a loser move made by managers who've forgotten what Jimmy Johnson taught them.

townsend

Banned
That assumes the defense is fixed. With Hardy as a question mark and the secondary somewhat unsettled, I'm not sure the defense will automatically be miles ahead of last season. I hope they will. Even if they are world beaters the offense being a balanced attack is still questionable.
It seems like we have still improved in the secondary. Losing Sterling Moore, but adding Jones I wish we had kept Moore and let Jones start at Safety, but it's still an upgrade. We also have Gregory along with Hardy. As much as you can address an issue, we have addressed the pass rush. I'm very hopeful for Lee's return to the defense as well, obviously his health is a concern, but he's bound to contribute more than he did last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Adrian Peterson was born on a Thursday.

We worked these guys out on a Thursday.

Foreshadowing? I think so.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The Cowboys also worked out wide receiver A.J. Jenkins, a first-round pick of the San Francisco 49ers in 2012. After failing to catch a pass as a rookie, he was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs and caught 17 passes for 223 yards in two seasons there.

The Cowboys also worked out wide receivers Kris Durham, Tommy Streeter and B.J. Cunningham. Durham played for offensive coordinator Scott Linehan for two years with the Detroit Lions with his best season coming in 2013, when he caught 38 passes for 490 yards and two touchdowns. He caught four passes for 54 yards in a win against Dallas that year.

I guess this means we are super concerned about WR as well? Dez better watch out.
Yes, the team is concerned about WR and they said as much.

Apply some logic to each situation. They are concerned about depth at WR, and they should be. Not about Dez. But what if Dez goes down? At least last year they had Harris to plug in. Now, apparently they have some misgivings that Street step into 3 WR sets, and there's even more concern for 4 wide. It's a legit concern. They aren't doing favors, they are kicking tires.

Now apply the same logic to Rb and get back to me.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
EXACTLY.

It's fine if people want to believe, but to give shit to the people who are rightly concerned is ridiculous.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Adrian Peterson was born on a Thursday.

We worked these guys out on a Thursday.

Foreshadowing? I think so.
He didn't even flinch.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
EXACTLY.

It's fine if people want to believe, but to give shit to the people who are rightly concerned is ridiculous.
To be concerned is one thing. To already throw your hands up and declare the season lost because of it is another. Unless we're supposed to read the guarantees and proclamations of it blowing up in our faces another way, of course.

Rev

Staff member
We heard you the first time and I agree.

vince

Not So New Member
My conversation with Joseph Randle didn't yield too many results but he basically stated he has a "strong feeling he's being traded...almost certain it's coming".

Rev

Staff member
My conversation with Joseph Randle didn't yield too many results but he basically stated he has a "strong feeling he's being traded...almost certain it's coming".
Did he say what percentage he thought it was?

vince

Not So New Member
Did he say what percentage he thought it was?
Might be time to proceed with Operation Green Balloon. We need numbers. Facts.
I didn't want to interrogate him on something that wasn't relavant to our business. I feel like that's all I'll be able to contribute to this. Let's just keep our eyes and ears open for any RB changes.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I didn't want to interrogate him on something that wasn't relavant to our business. I feel like that's all I'll be able to contribute to this. Let's just keep our eyes and ears open for any RB changes.

The Operation Green Balloon thing wasn't some sort of shot at you or anything. Just an ongoing joke that many on the board will get. I fully understand that you're doing your job and can't shake the guy down for info. Even where it is at–still just at the strong feeling phase of the guy who would be involved–is very interesting. Appreciate you sharing it with the board.

vince

Not So New Member
The Operation Green Balloon thing wasn't some sort of shot at you or anything. Just an ongoing joke that many on the board will get. I fully understand that you're doing your job and can't shake the guy down for info. Even where it is at–still just at the strong feeling phase of the guy who would be involved–is very interesting. Appreciate you sharing it with the board.
:hattip

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

:tippytoe

Top Bottom