Name Your Draft Sleepers...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, he didn't. He asked about mid to late round WRs. And, he may go in the 25-35 range, but I wouldn't take him there, obviously. So, he qualifies as a mid to late round WR I would take... in the mid to late rounds. Not sure how that is hard to follow.
In that case let him know Treadwell is a WR I would take late in the draft as well as Doctson and Corey Coleman. (By the way, the mock I just looked at by McShay has Fuller going 22 to the Texans)

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In that case let him know Treadwell is a WR I would take late in the draft as well as Doctson and Corey Coleman. (By the way, the mock I just looked at by McShay has Fuller going 22 to the Texans)
Cool, so you are of the opinion that Fuller is worthy of going in the first. So noted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cool, so you are of the opinion that Fuller is worthy of going in the first. So noted.
I think he is absolutely worthy of our second round pick. Everyone already knew he was fast. He didn't suddenly climb as a prospect because of a forty time. I like him but that's because the games I watched him play in during the season he was really impressive going up and making contested catches. 62 catches 1258 yards his last season at Notre Dame helps too. Or the 76 catches for 1094 yards he had the prior season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feh, drops too many passes.
And that's fine. I don't really think we take a WR in the first or second round so Fuller probably isn't an option for us anyway. It would just be nice to have a guy with electric speed again. Haven't had that in a long time.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he is absolutely worthy of our second round pick. Everyone already knew he was fast. He didn't suddenly climb as a prospect because of a forty time. I like him but that's because the games I watched him play in during the season he was really impressive going up and making contested catches. 62 catches 1258 yards his last season at Notre Dame helps too. Or the 76 catches for 1094 yards he had the prior season.
If we take him at 34 I will be pissed.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
He's not really a sleeper but I really like Karl Joseph. He reminds me of Bob Sanders.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's not really a sleeper but I really like Karl Joseph. He reminds me of Bob Sanders.
I actually was going to use that comparison as well. Undersized but hits like a missile and is able to make plays in pass coverage. Same sort of concern I have with him too, which is that his body will break down from all the abuse it takes at his size.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I actually was going to use that comparison as well. Undersized but hits like a missile and is able to make plays in pass coverage. Same sort of concern I have with him too, which is that his body will break down from all the abuse it takes at his size.
I'd draft him in the 3rd round and hope for at least 5 years of great safety play. Besides the knee injury from this past season I think he's been able to stay healthy and on the field. Not sure about his HS years though.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
So what are we defining as a "sleeper"?

I'll just go with a list of guys that I like that I expect to go after the 3rd round:

Blake Martinez, LB Stanford
Cyrus Jones, CB Alabama
Kenyan Drake, RB Alabama
Brandon Allen, QB Arkansas
Deiondre Hall, CB Northern Iowa
Sheldon Day, DE/DT Notre Dame
Tyvis Powell, S Ohio St.
Jihad Ward, DE/DT Illinois
Harlan Miller, CB SE Louisiana
Sean Davis, CB Maryland
Yannick Ngakoue, DE Maryland
Quinton Jefferson, DT Maryland
Mike Matthews, C Texas AM
Graham Glasgow, G/C Michigan
Matt Ioannidis, DT Temple
Romeo Okwara, DE Notre Dame
Dadi Nicolas, DE Virginia Tech
Thomas Duarte, TE UCLA
Kelvin Taylor, RB Florida
Anthony Zettel, DT/DE Penn St.
Nile Lawrence-Stample, DT Florida St.
Terrance Smith, LB Florida St.
Devon Cajuste, TE Stanford
DJ Reader, DT Clemson
James Cowser, DE Southern Utah

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
No, he didn't. He asked about mid to late round WRs. And, he may go in the 25-35 range, but I wouldn't take him there, obviously. So, he qualifies as a mid to late round WR I would take... in the mid to late rounds. Not sure how that is hard to follow.
He asked about late round WRs. Fuller isn't one, he's not going in the late rounds. You just had no idea what his draft stock was and have been scrambling since then, but hey, at least you didn't recommend a player who isn't even in this draft. :art

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I have watched his hands issues. The only reason he is rising is because of his Combine 40 times. He isn't all that good. I mean, sure, I'd love to have him returning kicks. But I'm not using a 1-3 on that.
I don't think he's a natural kick returner. If he was, he would have been back there, at least in crucial situations. He also did well at his pro day with pass catching drills. It was obvious he was making sure he caught with his hands away from his body and he did well, but...

A passing drill with no coverage is not a game and he has a wiry frame. I love the kid, he's a gamer and if he fell to the third, I would be okay with bringing him on board but when it comes to ND players I would take Prosise over Fuller in the third. I think Prosise has a higher ceiling, he's more solidly built and is more versatile.

As others have said, I wouldn't call Fuller a sleeper though. He's been high profile for a couple of years now. If I were going to pick a sleeper WR out of ND, it would be Chris Brown. Not quite Fuller's speed and nowhere near his numbers but that's partially because Fuller had the go to big play guy role. Brown has better size, better hands, could drop to around round 5. Another is Amir Carlisle but he probably projects to slot receiver and we have the Beasley there. He would probably be available in the last couple of rounds and I believe he's been overlooked.
[MENTION=70]Simpleton[/MENTION], Sheldon Day reminds me of Trevor Laws, who the Eagles drafted awhile back. Undersized, high motor but never really panned out in the pros. I have a sneaking suspicion that Day will follow a similar path. I think he may have hit his ceiling and he's had issues staying healthy in the past. I cant really call him a sleeper anyway because he's not what you would call under the radar.

Romeo Okwara is athletic but pretty stiff with limited moves at the same time. I would actually consider burning a 7th rounder on Ishaq Williams before spending a 5th or 6th on Okwara and would definitely give him a look as an UDFA. It's hard to really gauge either Okwara or Williams. Okwara played half his career at OLB in a 3-4 before moving to DE in a complicated 4-3 two years ago. He posted some decent numbers in the second half of last season but is that because he settled into the position or the quality of the opponent? At the same time, ND's defensive scheme had their DLs dropping into coverage a lot which was always screwy to me. It's one of the reasons their pass rush sucked because the DC tried to get creative too much. Maybe he would have settled in at DE sooner if not for that.

Ishaq Williams intrigues me because he has the size/length to be a DE but again, he mostly played a 3-4 OLB in college and never got to play DE in a 4-3 which I believe he was better suited for from the get go. He is longer and more fluid an athlete then Okwara though.

Putting the cart before the horse but one Domer to watch next year is Isaac Rochell. He reminds me of Tyrone Crawford with the ability to play inside or outside.

Cotton

Staff member
He asked about late round WRs. Fuller isn't one, he's not going in the late rounds. You just had no idea what his draft stock was and have been scrambling since then, but hey, at least you didn't recommend a player who isn't even in this draft. :art
I know exactly where his draft profile says he is supposed to go. I don't agree with it, and if he goes in the first, I think he will be the biggest bust (outside of Bosa) in this draft.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The kid from Clemson could be a late pick WR that pans out, all the physical gifts and they've been sending some good ones lately.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member
This guy:

6'4", 225 lb. WR from Germany who ran a 4.39 40 at his pro day along with a 40 inch vertical. Guy is a complete physical freak, he's definitely a project but he'd be worth a late round pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This guy:

6'4", 225 lb. WR from Germany who ran a 4.39 40 at his pro day along with a 40 inch vertical. Guy is a complete physical freak, he's definitely a project but he'd be worth a late round pick.
He is a guy who you would love to be able to stash on the practice squad and develop for a year or two. The problem is with that size and athletic ability someone would probably snatch him up. You'd have to find a spot for him to be your sixth receiver probably instead.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
This guy:

His numbers are there but this would be the equivalent of picking someone up from Div. III or whatever it's called now. You either hit a home run or swing and miss. There was another German prospect that made some waves a short while back but he didn't amount to anything. Competition in the GFL is probably at best a lite version of the old Euro League. I would liken him to that Australian rugby player that the 49ers had on their roster last year. Great physical potential, great story but he never really hit his stride in the NFL before being cut.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He is a guy who you would love to be able to stash on the practice squad and develop for a year or two. The problem is with that size and athletic ability someone would probably snatch him up. You'd have to find a spot for him to be your sixth receiver probably instead.
sounds like he should be able to be a gunner on ST.

Top Bottom