Randy Gregory suspended 4 games

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I was commenting on Ware. What point did I miss?

With Hardy likely gone, Ware would make a good situational player for the Cowboys. He'd make a great mentor for Gregory (both because Ware is so milquetoast and because they have similar body types) and can fill in for him for 4 games.

I'd much, much rather bring Ware back than, say, Mincey.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
With Hardy likely gone, Ware would make a good situational player for the Cowboys. He'd make a great mentor for Gregory (both because Ware is so milquetoast and because they have similar body types) and can fill in for him for 4 games.

I'd much, much rather bring Ware back than, say, Mincey.
He would possibly be those things but he is approaching 34 and he continues to be injured quite a bit so I don't see him in a full time starting role where ever he plays going forward. He is hell on wheels when healthy but he is also limited for the time he can play at that pace. If used as a situational player he can probably remain pretty healthy for a season. At that role he can still be a mentor, teacher, babysitter to Gregory. I believe we are on the same page.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine bringing Ware back on a 1 or 2 year deal, he'd be fine playing 25-35 snaps a game and could still give us some juice off the edge in nickel/dime.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Bosa will most likely be gone so we will just get the Oregon DE.
Yeah, that's what irritates the hell out of me. We're going to reach for someone due to our stupid ass'd 2nd round pick from last year not having enough self control to put down the damn weed.

It completely pisses me off.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
On one hand, you could say no big deal because he did nothing last year, and we would likely look for more pass rush help this year. I just hate the idea we have another high profile babysitting case that is another fuck up from being suspended all the time. You can't have offseasons where you look at suspensions being lifted as part of your plan.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On one hand, you could say no big deal because he did nothing last year, and we would likely look for more pass rush help this year. I just hate the idea we have another high profile babysitting case that is another fuck up from being suspended all the time. You can't have offseasons where you look at suspensions being lifted as part of your plan.
Yes, it's very annoying when you start looking at the risks this team has taken with premium picks in the last 5 or so years that have really hamstrung the team.

You got the Lee pick in the 2nd, obviously an elite talent but when he misses about 40% of games what is that worth? Then you have the trade up for Claiborne, no explanation needed there. Spending a 2nd on Carter, an injured guy who they supposedly graded as a 1st, obviously a swing and miss. Spending the 2nd on Gregory, I liked the risk at the time and sometimes things don't pan out, but in the context of all the other mishaps, it really pisses you off. This isn't even getting into wasted picks like Escobar that weren't risks.

Of course we took a similar risk on Dez and got a HOF talent, so there's that.

In the NFL it's better to hit a single, a double and ground out to move a runner over as opposed to hitting a HR and striking out twice. Jerry hasn't gotten that, and never will considering his nature, but I think there are signs that Stephen understands that between the Martin over Manziel pick and that he supposedly was a calming influence on Jerry's itchy trade finger during the 1st last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm only talking about that tweet. I studied Ebonics a little when I was an anthropology major.

Not to over analyze, but the tweet was definitely using Ebonics. Not the abbreviations or the slang, but things like not conjugating the verb "to be" is an element, as is not ending plural words with an 's' (like when he wrote "say" instead of "says").

Aaaaaaand I overanalyzed anyway. :lol
That's actually pretty interesting. I guess a lot of country white folk out here would fall under the definition of speaking ebonics.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's actually pretty interesting. I guess a lot of country white folk out here would fall under the definition of speaking ebonics.
Honestly a lot has been adopted into the lexicon.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It is clear we don't place a high premium on psychological stability and intellect when evaluating players.

You can see a clear trend lately to look at athleticism, meeting certain thresholds in regards to physical traits. You saw it last year with the SPARQ fueled draft.

We got lucky with Byron Jones, who appears to check the mental boxes and is athletic.

Bill Polian wrote in one of his books about how important their team psychologist was in evaluating prospects and swaying their direction.

Whatever we do with Jerry's home for misfit toys and mental morons, it ain't working. We can't babysit players anymore.

I don't think things will change, because I honestly think they are on a course towards more of the metrics side. I don't think they even realize that alone is not enough, just because Seattle did it.

All you got to do is go back to Jimmy's adage.

People fail to understand, Jimmy Johnson did have a psychology background. He knew how to manipulate that way, but that is only part of the story.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
It is clear we don't place a high premium on psychological stability and intellect when evaluating players.

You can see a clear trend lately to look at athleticism, meeting certain thresholds in regards to physical traits. You saw it last year with the SPARQ fueled draft.
Honestly, that's the biggest change I see in the vaunted McClay's tenure -- more of a tilt to pure big/strong/fast. Some people love to tout Garrett's RKG nonsense, but Ciskowski was looking for high-IQ players, captains, etc before Garrett ever took over. Truth is, we've acquired more troubled guys since Garrett took over than we had before.

townsend

Banned

We got lucky with Byron Jones, who appears to check the mental boxes and is athletic.

Bill Polian wrote in one of his books about how important their team psychologist was in evaluating prospects and swaying their direction.

Whatever we do with Jerry's home for misfit toys and mental morons, it ain't working. We can't babysit players anymore.

I don't think things will change, because I honestly think they are on a course towards more of the metrics side. I don't think they even realize that alone is not enough, just because Seattle did it.

All you got to do is go back to Jimmy's adage.

People fail to understand, Jimmy Johnson did have a psychology background. He knew how to manipulate that way, but that is only part of the story.
I think having a strong willed coach can help keep things in check. That's why Barry lost the team a few years after Jimmy left and Wade lost the team a few years after FJ left. Garrett has his two pals on the team vouch for him in the locker room and everyone else can go feral for all he cares.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett has his two pals on the team vouch for him in the locker room and everyone else can go feral for all he cares.
Pretty much.

Once his two lieutenants retire, just watch how quickly things turn on him. It will make the supposed Wade Phillips "give up" look like nothing.

Garrett's ability to get trust of the players has cropped up since he was a coordinator.

He's always had Romo and Witten, but almost lost it with T.O. and Crayton.

If Jerry wants to keep his boy in charge, they better start surrounding him with some new members of the Get-A-Long Gang to take to basketball games.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well, this fucktard all but screwed us at #4 now.

FFS.
Not really.

DE may be the most immediate need but the smarter move would be to draft a QB at #4.

Even if Bosa is ranked #2 on the Cowboys' board and Wentz and Goff are 8 and 9, I still say go QB because a QB will have a much greater impact on your team.

The problem is the hillbillies in charge only think short-term. They'll probably roll the dice hoping Romo stays healthy and look to target someone who will play immediately.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The problem is the hillbillies in charge only think short-term. They'll probably roll the dice hoping Romo stays healthy and look to target someone who will play immediately.
I have already signed off on the QB thing.

It just won't happen. They will go for the "window closing" approach and take the player that can hit the field the soonest.

If free agency is fumbled, then you will see a defensive player go at 4, no question in my mind. DE just becomes a little higher on the list now.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If free agency is fumbled, then you will see a defensive player go at 4, no question in my mind. DE just becomes a little higher on the list now.
My guess is they'll be more active in FA this year. They sat on their hands last year and it blew up in their face, so I can see them taking a more aggressive approach in bringing in an impact player or two.

Honestly though, truth be told, the Cowboys aren't even close to being contenders. But as we all know, Jerry doesn't see it that way. 2014 was an anomaly but they'll approach things like 2015 was the anomaly. Meaning....the "we're only a player or two away" mindset will be in full effect.

So that strengthens my belief that they'll pass on a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I think 3rd round is the earliest they'll entertain drafting a QB.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My guess is they'll be more active in FA this year. They sat on their hands last year and it blew up in their face, so I can see them taking a more aggressive approach in bringing in an impact player or two.

Honestly though, truth be told, the Cowboys aren't even close to being contenders. But as we all know, Jerry doesn't see it that way. 2014 was an anomaly but they'll approach things like 2015 was the anomaly.

So that strengthens my belief that they'll pass on a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I think 3rd round is the earliest they'll entertain drafting a QB.
The first stringers by themselves are probably contenders on paper. The problem is we have shit for depth across our entire team. I mean, can you name one position we are set for depth?

Top Bottom