Coaching Staff Watch Thread...

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's a fact that we are won the less Garrett's role was in the offense. That's not speculation. It's absolute fact.
The facts are that we went 12-4 with many things different than when we went 8-8, including Linehan playcalling as well as Garrett taking more of a role in being a "walk around coach." It's not like he was standing on the sideline daydreaming while Linehan took over his duties. Whatever influence he reduced in terms of attention needed for playcalling you can be sure he increased somewhere else to make up for it.

So it's not really accurate to say Garrett had a decreased role with the team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The facts are that we went 12-4 with many things different than when we went 8-8, including Linehan playcalling as well as Garrett taking more of a role in being a "walk around coach." It's not like he was standing on the sideline daydreaming while Linehan took over his duties. Whatever influence he reduced in terms of attention needed for playcalling you can be sure he increased somewhere else to make up for it.

So it's not really accurate to say Garrett had a decreased role with the team.
HC duties plus OC duties down to just HC duties = decreased role no matter how you try to spin it, pusher.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
HC duties plus OC duties down to just HC duties = decreased role no matter how you try to spin it, pusher.
Uh... no it doesn't. He could have and probably did take on extra work elsewhere. It's not like he was clocking out at 4:30 every day after he gave up playcalling.

He had a different role and it had a positive effect. Trying to say Garrett's influence on this team is decreased is false.

Cotton

Staff member
Uh... no it doesn't. He could have and probably did take on extra work elsewhere. It's not like he was clocking out at 4:30 every day after he gave up playcalling.

He had a different role and it had a positive effect. Trying to say Garrett's influence on this team is decreased is false.
I didn't say his influence was lessened. I said his duties lessened. Which is absolutely true unless you are blinded by his penis in your face.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I didn't say his influence was lessened. I said his duties lessened. Which is absolutely true unless you are blinded by his penis in your face.
Well VA said his "role" decreased and that remains untrue since his role was merely changed. It did not decrease in any measurable way since he still put in just as many hours and had his hands in other areas after freeing up from playcalling.

Cotton

Staff member
Well VA said his "role" decreased and that remains untrue since his role was merely changed. It did not decrease in any measurable way since he still put in just as many hours and had his hands in other areas after freeing up from playcalling.
Role decreased.

Cotton

Staff member
Tony Romo happy Jason Garrett, Scott Linehan are back
January, 16, 2015

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- During the season, Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo raved about Jason Garrett and Scott Linehan.

He called Garrett the best coach nobody talks about. He continuously praised Linehan’s work with the game plan.

When the Cowboys officially announced on Thursday that Garrett would be back with a five-year deal and Linehan would be back with a three-year deal, Romo was extremely pleased even if he knew neither would be leaving.

“I’m lucky to be around two coaches that are outstanding in every facet of the game,” Romo said. “I learn on a daily basis from them and look forward to next year and what we can accomplish.”

Linehan is the fourth playcaller Romo has had since taking over in 2006. He had Tony Sparano in his first year, Garrett from 2007-12 and Bill Callahan in 2013. The two clicked right away with Romo having the best touchdown-to-interception ratio of his career, while leading the NFL in passer rating and completion percentage.

Now the coaches might have the chance to coach against Romo in the Pro Bowl next week. Since the game is no longer an AFC vs. NFC affair, there could be Cowboys going against Cowboys. The good news is that the Cowboys will not have any direct competition against each other in the game since the defense did not have a player selected.

Michael Irvin could be Garrett’s general manager.

“Know their strengths, know their weaknesses,” Garrett joked about having to coach against some of his players. “There’s not a lot of flexibility in the systems. You have to play one kind of defense. It’s not like, ‘He can’t see it from the blindside, blitz him from over there.’”

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Role decreased.
I hate to agree with Smitty, but I've always considered "walk-around-coach" a more powerful position than "HC/OC" which is a role that decreases the coach's influence on the big picture. Having fewer duties isn't necessarily a "lesser role" with the team, even though it's a smaller role in the offense.

kidd

DCC 4Life
I hate to agree with Smitty, but I've always considered "walk-around-coach" a more powerful position than "HC/OC" which is a role that decreases the coach's influence on the big picture. Having fewer duties isn't necessarily a "lesser role" with the team, even though it's a smaller role in the offense.
I agree with this.

Not having to worry about the offense as much allowed Garrett more time to manage the players as well as the game itself.

Cotton

Staff member
Him giving up the play calling is absolutely what made us better this year, so the statement still holds. His role decreased, and our wins increased. It's as simple as that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
How much do you really think he was influencing the defense, though? He's not telling a decades-long vet like Marinelli how to coach in any way.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
How much do you really think he was influencing the defense, though? He's not telling a decades-long vet like Marinelli how to coach in any way.
There's more to coaching than Xs and Os. I think if you're the "offensive head coach" and the other guy is the "defensive head coach" it's hard to get on "his guys" about things like preparation and effort. Overall, the team and the defense seemed a lot less "gutless" when his main job became setting the tone.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Garrett offset giving up play calling by adding more hand--clapping. That apparently is what garnered 4 more wins, not Marinelli and Linehan.

Top Bottom