Rams Return To Los Angeles

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Rams return to Los Angeles

Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2016, 8:56 PM EST

St. Louis was willing to contribute millions to a new stadium for the Rams. Ultimately, it wasn’t nearly enough.

Owner Stan Kroenke, named for Cardinals legends Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter, has become a villain in his home state, thanks to an NFL vote that authorized on Tuesday night his relocation of the Rams to Los Angeles.

Per multiple reports, the final tally was 30 votes in favor of the move, and two against.

The Chargers now have until January 2017 to join the Rams in Inglewood, if they so desire. It provides them with maximum leverage to try on last time to stay put in San Diego. If the Chargers work out a stadium deal in their hometown since 1961, the Raiders then will have a chance to join the Rams in Inglewood.

The Chargers strongly opposed partnering with the Rams in Inglewood, so now owner Dean Spanos must decide between staying put or accepting a partnership in a facility deemed inferior to the proposed location in Carson, where the Chargers and Raiders hoped to share a venue. In Inglewood, Kroenke is essentially the landlord, and the Chargers would be the tenant.

The decision represents a not-so-minor slap in the face to Disney CEO Robert Iger, whose ESPN subsidiary gives the NFL $2 billion per year for the right to televise Monday Night Football. Iger personally attended the ownership meeting in Houston and lobbied the league to adopt the Carson plan. Iger would have been directly involved in the stadium construction and marketing process, with the right to become a minority owner of the Chargers or Raiders.

Ultimately, Kroenke overcame Iger, Carson, and a majority of the L.A. Committee, several members of which resented Kroenke’s aggressive effort to abandon St. Louis and the efforts of local politicians to expend significant political capital to cobble together $350 million in public money — which is $350 million more than most communities currently are willing to devote to the effort to subsidize billionaire sports owners.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
L.A. Rams will start play this year, new stadium in 2019

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 12, 2016, 9:12 PM EST

The Los Angeles Rams are on the move and will spend three years in a temporary home before moving into their new stadium.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed today that a “long process” resulted in the decision to move the Rams to L.A. this year. It’s not clear yet where the Rams will play while their new stadium in Inglewood, California, is under construction.

“The NFL owners tonight approved the return of the Los Angeles Rams,” Goodell said. “Starting with the 2016 season. In 2019 they will be opening in a new stadium which we are all, as ownership, very excited about — the kind of facility that we believe will be extraordinarily successful in the Los Angeles market. It’s more than just a stadium, it’s an entertainment complex.”

Still to be decided is whether a second team will also move into the stadium. The Chargers may join the Rams in Los Angeles, and if the Chargers choose not to, the Raiders still could. This isn’t over, but the one thing we know is that the Rams are on the way to L.A.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The Chargers will be next. They have more leverage than the Raiders.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Shelly Smith of ESPN is saying the biggest reason why this happened is because Jerry Jones pushed it and convinced the owners.

Maybe some crazy, heart-broken St. Louis fans can take their frustrations out on him?

:unsure

Carl

RIP Brother
Ingelwood is an odd place. Large parts of it are very unsafe and the city itself is kind of downtrodden.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I figured the Rams were pretty much a shoo in and it wouldn't surprise me if the Chargers join them. The Raiders, they've played the moving card often enough that even with Al Davis no longer around I'm not surprised if they would end up as the odd team out.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Ingelwood is an odd place. Large parts of it are very unsafe and the city itself is kind of downtrodden.
That seems to be a common thing. for a giant stadium, infrastructure and parking lots there needs to be room for all of that. It is not reasonable to build that across the street from Disney.

Usually you see teams using it as a revitalization project. The entire area will benefit from the stadium.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Shelly Smith of ESPN is saying the biggest reason why this happened is because Jerry Jones pushed it and convinced the owners.

Maybe some crazy, heart-broken St. Louis fans can take their frustrations out on him?

:unsure
It has to start somewhere...

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
True, but the Hollywood Park site (where the stadium is going) is on the west side of Inglewood, which is a lot safer because it's closer to LAX and the coastal cities. The problem is that it's right off the 405 freeway, so traffic will be a fucking nightmare for anyone headed south on the 405 from the San Fernando Valley because they'll hit the normal 10 freeway interchange traffic, the traffic from Santa Monica, LAX traffic, and now the traffic from the stadium. All of which are within a 15 mile distance from each other.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Some Rams fan ordered a pizza with olives arranged to say "Kroenke sucks" on it. :lol http://www.thescore.com/news/934960

Sucks for football fans in St. Louis, especially older ones, because they've had two NFL teams jilt them now. Of course, the same could be said for LA. Hey, maybe some day the Rams could move back to Cleveland and complete the cycle. Besides, Cleveland hasn't had a football team for years. :drums

I wonder how long it takes before I get used to hearing them called The Los Angeles Rams again? I didn't see them much when they were still in LA when I lived in NJ. It took me something like four or five years before I got used to hearing "St. Louis" Rams.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Maybe that is what Kroenke meant when he said the move could help the "lower income" people.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maybe that is what Kroenke meant when he said the move could help the "lower income" people.
How? They aren't going to be able to afford to go to the games.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How? They aren't going to be able to afford to go to the games.
Businesses will pop up around the stadium and all of those as well as the stadium will need workers? So technically they will be "at" the games. It just may be selling soda.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hopefully they'll go back to their old royal blue and yellow LA uniforms, and leave the navy blue and gold ones in St. Louis.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Businesses will pop up around the stadium and all of those as well as the stadium will need workers? So technically they will be "at" the games. It just may be selling soda.
Selling oranges, scalping tickets....big boost.

dallen

Senior Tech
Here come the St Louis Raiders

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Compton, Long Beach, IngleWOOOOD

Carp

DCC 4Life
Most places you build a stadium are pretty shitty...there are just not big plots of land in the center of town or whatever to put up a new stadium.

I was living close to Denver when they initially put up Coors Field...it was not the best place at the time, but once the stadium went in all kinds of trendy bars and restaurants popped up. Same thing will happen in LA.

Top Bottom