Archer: What will Cedric Thornton bring to the Cowboys?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What will Cedric Thornton bring to the Cowboys?
10:29 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – To date, Cedric Thornton is the Dallas Cowboys’ biggest free-agent signing with a four-year, $17 million deal.

So what will he bring to the Cowboys?

We went to ESPN's Philadelphia Eagles reporter, Phil Sheridan, for answers.

Todd Archer: The plan is for the Cowboys to play him at defensive tackle. Is that a good fit?

Phil Sheridan: That’s hard to answer. When Thornton was a rookie, the Eagles played in a 4-3 scheme. But he didn’t play all that much that year. He was a depth guy (although he did begin his one-sack-a-year run as a rookie).

Thornton emerged as a starter in 2013, when Chip Kelly and coordinator Bill Davis brought a 3-4 defense to town. As a 3-4 end, Thornton was effective at two-gapping, tying up blockers and still getting his share of tackles in the run game. He moves pretty well for a big guy and was good at pursuing backs from behind.

So here’s my theory, if you’re ready for it: Moving back to tackle in a 4-3, freed from his two-gap responsibilities, Thornton could very well have a breakout year. I’m not talking about 12 sacks here. But Thornton isn’t the shy rookie who went undrafted out of Southern Arkansas in 2011. He is a solid pro with a range of experience.

Archer: He has four career sacks – and two against the Cowboys – so is it safe to assume he is a run-stopper?

Sheridan: Primarily, yes. Thornton is 6-foot-6 and right around 300 pounds. He is not a fat guy who clogs up a gap and tackles anyone who runs within two feet of him. He’s strong and able to move. Like I said, he should find some extra space to work with now that he’s not just tying up two blockers as a 3-4 end. Thornton can hold his ground, but he’s also able to pursue runners who get past the first level.

Archer: What will the Eagles miss most about him?

Sheridan: The Eagles basically decided that he wouldn’t fit in Jim Schwartz’s 4-3 scheme. If Thornton was still under contract and had a chance to prove otherwise, he might have impressed Schwartz with his versatility. But Thornton hit free agency just as the Eagles were switching schemes, so they decided to use their salary cap space elsewhere.

Thornton’s teammates will miss him more. He was well respected in the locker room as a guy who made the team and became a starter after not being drafted. Thornton never lost that humility and determination to work hard. He’s a solid guy, and you can never have too many of them.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Nothing... Absolutely nothing... Big waste of $ for "production"... 4 years... 4 sacks...Bring in what has amounted as nothing more than a"depth guy" and call him your big signing? And that was the big "splash"? Now they'll abandon the position until late in the draft because Thornton is going to make it all better? Lmao!

Fucking joke

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nothing... Absolutely nothing... Big waste of $ for "production"... 4 years... 4 sacks...Bring in what has amounted as nothing more than a"depth guy" and call him your big signing? And that was the big "splash"? Now they'll abandon the position until late in the draft because Thornton is going to make it all better? Lmao!

Fucking joke
Are you serious?

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Are you serious?
Well... Broaddus is pretty connected and he's making it sound like the team looks the other way now until later in the draft. Because of course they've signed what has amounted to a career depth player. So now it's all better according to what he's hearing. I mean, maybe not to that extreme, but pretty much the team feels they've covered themselves there. It's a deep draft for DT, and there could be an early run once they start to go.

Let's hope they don't sleep on it like they did RB last year?

Prime picks in every round... Why do I feel we're going to hear them call a couple of "Gavin Escobars" and leave is all looking at each other like WTF????!!!!!!!

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Are you serious?
BTW... I'm not proud man.. Never too proud to admit when I am wrong.

And I hope to hell McClay pulled a nugget out of his ass with this Thornton signing.

Sure as hell need it. And I'll gladly admit I was wrong...

But until then? I know one thing for sure... No matter what happens, coach will approve :roboclap

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Fucking joke

This was a good signing. He's not a depth guy, he's the replacement for Hayden. He plays a position that doesn't get a lot of sacks so there's no point in using his sack total to measure his effectiveness. He's a pretty good player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was a good signing. He's not a depth guy, he's the replacement for Hayden. He plays a position that doesn't get a lot of sacks so there's no point in using his sack total to measure his effectiveness. He's a pretty good player.
Yeah his stats might not show it but he looks like a hell of a good player. I would actually be surprised if he doesn't post career best numbers this year in Dallas.

I don't want it to make us pass on DT either but I also didn't want to be forced to not be able to take a QB in the first either. Or end up with Hayden back as the starter.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Well... Broaddus is pretty connected and he's making it sound like the team looks the other way now until later in the draft. Because of course they've signed what has amounted to a career depth player. So now it's all better according to what he's hearing. I mean, maybe not to that extreme, but pretty much the team feels they've covered themselves there. It's a deep draft for DT, and there could be an early run once they start to go.

Let's hope they don't sleep on it like they did RB last year?

Prime picks in every round... Why do I feel we're going to hear them call a couple of "Gavin Escobars" and leave is all looking at each other like WTF????!!!!!!!
Thornton has been one of the better run defenders in the league the last few years and has consistently shown the ability to eat up double teams and still make plays against the run. We are bringing him in to do exactly that as a 1 technique, which was an area many of us wanted upgraded, and now it is. I also think he has a bit of untapped potential if asked to shoot gaps as opposed to occupying 2 OL but that remains to be seen, even if that isn't the case he is a huge upgrade to our 1 technique over Hayden.

Now, that doesn't mean I would avoid drafting a DT at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all in taking a guy like Butler at 34, heck I think Buckner would mostly be a DT in our system and I'd be fine with him at 4, although whatever we end up doing in the draft has nothing to do with the fact that Thornton is a big time upgrade at the 1 technique for us.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I couldn't be happier with this signing.

This is going to improve the entire defense.

DeForest Buckner at LDE would be another huge boost.

A powerful front means a stronger run defense.

A stronger run defense means we face more one-dimensional offenses.

One dimensional play leads to predictability and more sacks and turnovers.

A stronger front also means less room to step up and increased pressure as a result.

People get overly hung up on individual sack stats. This kind of retarded thinking dropped Calais Campbell all the way into the 2nd round.

The guy only happens to be the fricking key to the whole Arizona defense.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Thornton has been one of the better run defenders in the league the last few years and has consistently shown the ability to eat up double teams and still make plays against the run. We are bringing him in to do exactly that as a 1 technique, which was an area many of us wanted upgraded, and now it is. I also think he has a bit of untapped potential if asked to shoot gaps as opposed to occupying 2 OL but that remains to be seen, even if that isn't the case he is a huge upgrade to our 1 technique over Hayden.

Now, that doesn't mean I would avoid drafting a DT at all. I wouldn't hesitate at all in taking a guy like Butler at 34, heck I think Buckner would mostly be a DT in our system and I'd be fine with him at 4, although whatever we end up doing in the draft has nothing to do with the fact that Thornton is a big time upgrade at the 1 technique for us.
For the life of me I can't understand how the Eagles could let such a budding young superstar get away with virtually no effort to re-sign him? One of the best run defenders in the league... How the heck was this guy ignored by not only his own team... But 30 others? I'm stumped

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
For the life of me I can't understand how the Eagles could let such a budding young superstar get away with virtually no effort to re-sign him? One of the best run defenders in the league... How the heck was this guy ignored by not only his own team... But 30 others? I'm stumped
It's pretty easy to explain and in fact it's in the article at the top.

The eagles are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Which means they basically had 3 starting caliber DTs - Cox, Thornton, and Bennie Logan. It wouldn't make sense to pay all 3 since in a 4-3 only 2 DTs start.

Trust me, philly liked Thornton. They just LOVE Cox and Logan.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
It's pretty easy to explain and in fact it's in the article at the top.

The eagles are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3. Which means they basically had 3 starting caliber DTs - Cox, Thornton, and Bennie Logan. It wouldn't make sense to pay all 3 since in a 4-3 only 2 DTs start.

Trust me, philly liked Thornton. They just LOVE Cox and Logan.
Well, if Thornton turns out to be Vince Wolfork Jr. then we'll be stoked. Let's hope

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well, if Thornton turns out to be Vince Wolfork Jr. then we'll be stoked. Let's hope
Really?

So upgrading the 1 spot by a large margin is not enough for you, he has to a multiple time pro bowler or else all is lost?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is as impactful an upgrade as I've ever seen with such little money in a long, long time. The whole defense just got better by a serious margin.

Top Bottom