JJT: Ezekiel Elliott learning to handle NFL scrutiny, defenses

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ezekiel Elliott learning to handle NFL scrutiny, defenses
9:49 AM CT
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- This is not how Ezekiel Elliott envisioned the start of his NFL career.

Coach Jason Garrett benched the fourth pick of the draft for the last six minutes after he fumbled for the second time in five carries during the second half Sunday against Washington.

Social media is already filled with folks calling him a bust. A host of others are calling for backup Alfred Morris to have a bigger role in the offense.

Well, that's not happening. At least, it's not happening anytime soon.

Elliott represents the future just like Dak Prescott. The Dallas Cowboys aren't cutting into his playing time for a 28-year-old veteran who had a difficult time getting a job in the offseason.

Morris is a consummate professional, a patient runner who understands how to make the Cowboys' scheme work for him. He's putting the knowledge gained from more than 1,000 carries during his first four seasons to use.

Elliott, limited to seven carries in the preseason to protect his hamstring, is learning the nuances of the Cowboys' running game. Still, fans expect production from a dude who has joked with Eric Dickerson about breaking his rookie rushing record of 1,808 set in 1983.

"I'm a guy who expects a lot from himself," Elliott said, "so being scrutinized -- I'm probably more down on myself than any of you guys or any reporter in the country. I'm just trying to go out each week and get better. I just have to be patient, and it's going to happen.

"I wouldn’t say I’m a victim of high expectations. The expectations are going to be there. I got drafted in the top five at a position that hasn't been drafted that highly in the past couple of years.

"No one can expect more out of me than myself. The criticism is what I expect, honestly, because I'm criticizing myself every day when I come in here and watch that film. I'm trying to get better."

In the opener against the New York Giants, the adrenaline flowed and Elliott didn't give his offensive line enough time to open up lanes for him. That's among the reasons twelve of his 21 carries gained two yards or less.

"Running the ball in the NFL is hard. There are a lot of dirty runs in a game," Garrett said. "I think we ran it 30 times in the game and the expectation is there are going to be some twos and threes and fours and ones in there, but you have to keep hammering away and then they become sixes and eights and 21s," Garrett said. "Teams are giving us attention in the running game. Having said that, we want to run the ball better."

Elliott was much better against Washington, but the fumbles overshadowed his performance. He had runs of 6, 7, 9, 9, 9 and 21 against Washington even though he was too slow to the hole on several carries. Any running backs coach will tell you he wants his runner to be patient to the hole and accelerate through it.

We're still waiting to see the consistent burst that made Elliott a star at Ohio State. As he finds a rhythm, it'll come. Until then, he must keep grinding.

"Coming from Ohio State, the tempo was a lot different," Elliott said. "We hit the hole 100 mph, but when you get here in the league it's not go as fast as you can. You gotta kind of time it up a little more until you see it, then you gotta go.

"It's something I've improved on form the first week. It's definitely easier said than done."

He's averaging only 3.27 per carry but can take solace in knowing other high-profile runners are struggling too.

Todd Gurley of the St. Louis Rams has 98 yards on 36 carries, a 2.72 average, and the Minnesota Vikings' Adrian Peterson had 50 yards on 31 carries, a 1.61 average, when he suffered a knee injury Sunday.

"The scrutiny is there for sure. That's probably the biggest thing," Elliott said. "The biggest part is mentally blocking it out -- not necessarily blocking it out, but focusing on what's important. The outside noise is not really important to us.

"What’s important is what's going on in here because we're the ones out there going to war with each other and we're the one that have to play with each other. Everything else is trying to get clicks and make stories."

Emmitt Smith and Tony Dorsett each had forgettable beginnings to their Hall of Fame careers. No one knows just how good Elliott will wind up. All we really know is that it's way too early to be making grandiose proclamations about his future.

Elliott believes better days are coming. He just doesn't know when they're coming.

Jiggyfly

Banned
"Coming from Ohio State, the tempo was a lot different," Elliott said. "We hit the hole 100 mph, but when you get here in the league it's not go as fast as you can. You gotta kind of time it up a little more until you see it, then you gotta go.
That really sums up his issues in a nutshell, hopefully he is as intelligent a runner as most think and it will become more natural for him.

Top Bottom