2014 College Football Chatter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I also think a big part of Ohio State being chosen absolutely is do to who they are. As Skid mentioned, Ohio St. is a blue blood. College Football royalty.

If all things are even, and they pretty much were even across the board, chances are you're going to go with the school with the sexier name.

Change Baylor & TCU's name to Texas and Oklahoma with the exact same results from yesterday, and I guarantee you Ohio St. is on the outside looking in.
I think that's the only reason why OSU is in. Ticket sales and tv ratings. And I'm positive that the terrible ticket sales from the Pac-12 title game on Friday factored in.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I drank the kool-aid.

I thought they'd actually build off the Sugar Bowl win. It definitely gave us a bit of a recruiting boost.

I've made my feelings for Stoops and his staff clear, so no need to rehash my opinion on that. Yesterday just reaffirmed my stance that it's time for fresh starts for both Stoops and OU.

I'm just giving you a hard time. They damn sure looked like the team to beat early on.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The Big 12 was the premier conference when it was founded. Now I have to listen to people say stuff like, "hey guyz, let's add SMU or UCF!!"

I mean if I was choosing I'd go for UCF but come on! Adding those teams waters the conference down.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I also don't see how anyone can say the Big 12's lack of a title game was the deciding factor.

To me that's not a valid argument when you have Baylor beating the #9 team on the same night that Ohio St. beat the #13 team.

Now if Baylor's final game was against Kansas I'd buy that argument. But don't tell me a team beating the #9 team doesn't carry as much weight as a team beating the #13 team just because one game is labeled as a conference title game.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Tony Levine was fired from Houston today. That is significant the coaching front. Tulsa is looking for a new HC as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Meachem makes a move to Tulsa or UH. Cumbie could be involved as well.

That opens the door wider for David Gibbs to be the next Tech DC.

D

Deuce

Outside of the the alumni and people in central Florida you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who gives a damn about UCF/USF football.
That's true...for now. Due to being a fairly young football program and a really young alumni base, we're still in a growth period. It's why the word "potential" gets thrown around so much.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That's true...for now. Due to being a fairly young football program and a really young alumni base, we're still in a growth period. It's why the word "potential" gets thrown around so much.
UCF does have potential. I agree with you there. So does USF. Both have big campuses and will be growing.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I saw a tweet which showed what the ranking would have under the previous system. Nearly identical.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
I also don't see how anyone can say the Big 12's lack of a title game was the deciding factor.

To me that's not a valid argument when you have Baylor beating the #9 team on the same night that Ohio St. beat the #13 team.

Now if Baylor's final game was against Kansas I'd buy that argument. But don't tell me a team beating the #9 team doesn't carry as much weight as a team beating the #13 team just because one game is labeled as a conference title game.
It absolutely was a factor...more for TCU than Baylor, but it was still a factor. I know KSU was #9, but think they were on par or probably less regarded than Wisc...who OSU absolutely dominated. Much better win...and a win for the conference title.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Seeing stuff where Memphis and Cincy are being looked at for the Big 12 now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sucks that TCU didn't get in, and sucks even more than Baylor didn't get in either.

I wanted TCU to get in, but I have nothing against Baylor and would have liked to see a Texas school get into the dance. I can't say OSU didn't deserve it, but they aren't beating any of the other teams in the playoff whereas TCU and Baylor could have. But again, I don't think they were necessarily the wrong pick.

This just proves even more that we need an 8 team playoff because 4 just isn't enough.

D

Deuce

Seeing stuff where Memphis and Cincy are being looked at for the Big 12 now.
I read that earlier this week but it appeared to be a Memphis radio guy just throwing shit out there. Nothing else was to it. Maybe he has a source, idk.

Memphis would add to basketball legitimacy, but not much else. They aren't going to get into the Tennessee market.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I read that earlier this week but it appeared to be a Memphis radio guy just throwing shit out there. Nothing else was to it. Maybe he has a source, idk.

Memphis would add to basketball legitimacy, but not much else. They aren't going to get into the Tennessee market.
I read about Memphis a few days back but didn't give much thought to it since I wasn't sure about the legitimacy.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Sucks that TCU didn't get in, and sucks even more than Baylor didn't get in either.

I wanted TCU to get in, but I have nothing against Baylor and would have liked to see a Texas school get into the dance. I can't say OSU didn't deserve it, but they aren't beating any of the other teams in the playoff whereas TCU and Baylor could have. But again, I don't think they were necessarily the wrong pick.

This just proves even more that we need an 8 team playoff because 4 just isn't enough.
I'm fine with 4. If we went to 8 teams we'd be having the same arguments. Teams 9, 10, 11, & 12 would argue that they deserved to be in the top 8.

No matter what the number is there will always be teams who think they got snubbed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm fine with 4. If we went to 8 teams we'd be having the same arguments. Teams 9, 10, 11, & 12 would argue that they deserved to be in the top 8.

No matter what the number is there will always be teams who think they got snubbed.
Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom