QB Controversy Thread...

dallen

Senior Tech
Nobody loves Romo more than me, but you have to start Dak. Stick with the hot hand and get Romo ready in practice (like every other damn football team in history) in case Dak gets hurt and gets into a slump.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Again, what are you basing this on, though?

This is not something you see done around the NFL often. Heck, I don't recall EVER seeing an NFL take this approach to their backup QB situation regardless of who that backup was.

So where do you get this idea that this is A) A good thing to do and B) Is necessary when no one else has ever done it or paid for not doing it?
You're basically sayimg that Romo is so rusty that he isn't capable of starting right now. So what you will do is start him to knock off the rust, so that he can be a capable backup.

It defies all logic. Instead what you do is you leave Romo as the backup and he can shake the rust off if Dak gets hurt and Romo is thrust into a game. Why would you bench a healthy Dak to accomplish that? This seems like a ploy to excuse thrusting Romo into the starting spot.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So no need for a poll right now.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
LT, your arguments today feel like a last ditch effort to justify starting Romo. Before today it was your belief that Dak would come back down to earth and hold back the Cowboys' offense. Now that we're 6 weeks into the season with Dak player better each week, you've shifted to this asinine argument that a backup QB should start a game in order to get into game shape. I've been watching football for over 30 years and have NEVER seen a HC even entertain something as foolish as that.

Your arguments today just reek of a delusional super fan who's struggling to come to grips with the inevitable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Your arguments today just reek of a delusional super fan who's struggling to come to grips with the inevitable.
Yeah, that's the feel I get, as well.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Y'all saying LT is in deep denial? Nah...can't happen

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
LT, your arguments today feel like a last ditch effort to justify starting Romo. Before today it was your belief that Dak would come back down to earth and hold back the Cowboys' offense. Now that we're 6 weeks into the season with Dak player better each week, you've shifted to this asinine argument that a backup QB should start a game in order to get into game shape. I've been watching football for over 30 years and have NEVER seen a HC even entertain something as foolish as that.

That's the thing -- there's no precedent for this.

No one in the 36 years I've been alive has ever played a backup over a starter for the reason LT has suggested.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have no problem with Prescott at QB. My issue is and has been that Romo needs to be conditioned as quickly as possible even to the point of playing in order to have a viable backup in place. Dallas is very vulnerable now simply because if Prescott is injured they are screwed. As soon as Romo is ready he needs to be inserted in the lineup to get prepared. The season is still young and there are a lot of games left in the season. It is irresponsible for the organization to allow this situation to go unanswered and not be addressed.

It will entail Romo starting some games to come about but it is necessary. If he craters then it will address the other issue of how to deal with his career in Dallas.
Da Fuck? :lol

p1_

DCC 4Life

No one in the 36 years I've been alive has ever played a backup over a starter for the reason LT has suggested.
No shit. Where is proven precedent for such a whack line of logic? Why on earth would you do that? Makes no sense.

Carp

DCC 4Life
There are lots of back up QBs that are successful without being forced into the line up to get reps. Romo knows this offense better than anyone, so I fail to see why he would need more time to get acclimated.

It would be irresponsible to stunt Prescott's growth in games, just to sharpen up Romo.

Jiggyfly

Banned

He has made his position clear so that's that.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
A 4 game lead in the win loss record would give Romo the time to "come up to speed" should he be called upon. You can lose a game while he "knocks off the rust."

And If you have 4th quarter 14 point leads (as they have the last two games) then you can let Romo come in for Dak to do the same.

Exactly.

If the team is up 14 or 21 in the 4th, pull Dak...let Romo take over.

The way this team is playing, I can see a couple games where that's going to happen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
A 4 game lead in the win loss record would give Romo the time to "come up to speed" should he be called upon. You can lose a game while he "knocks off the rust."

And If you have 4th quarter 14 point leads (as they have the last two games) then you can let Romo come in for Dak to do the same.
That's a general approach that will cover the contingency. What is being lost in all this is that most backups are practicing all the time and have exposure to game plans and schemes from week to week. Romo hasn't seen the field of any kind for almost a year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
My position hasn't changed because it was never based on how well Dak was or wasn't playing. Which obviously I'm thrilled about.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

You are intrerpreting it wrong. It's a suggestion to reduce the exposure to the team being vunerable. This situation is a little different from most backup situations. Romo hasn't touched a football in practice conditions for almost a year so that's not the run of the mill back up program most teams have.

Top Bottom