MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Rev

Staff member
Apparently you two forget the 1-12 run we had going on earlier this year.
Its a different team. From May 3rd on they are a winning team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Its a different team. From May 3rd on they are a winning team.
So how do you feel about playing the Blue Jays in the first round?

Rev

Staff member
So how do you feel about playing the Blue Jays in the first round?
We still make the playoffs and they may pass Kansas City for the top seed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is the funnest Mets team since the 80s. The early 2000s team was fun with Ventura, Piazza, and Leiter...even the Beltran/Wright teams were fun. This team though...just such a great mix, love this team.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would fire Matt Williams if I was the GM for the Nats. He is always contentious and that team seems dysfunctional.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I would fire Matt Williams if I was the GM for the Nats. He is always contentious and that team seems dysfunctional.
They have been a big bag of fail the past couple years. His in game decisions get second guessed a lot in the media and that team has underachieved, though have had a lot of injuries. Certainly can't put all the blame on the manager, but they have to really think about bringing in someone new.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Don't know if this belongs here or in it's own thread, but Yogi Bera passed away last night. 90 years old. God love ya Yogi, you will be missed.

Rev

Staff member
Rangers are at it again. Up 4-1 and the Astros have already lost today!
I'm more worried about the Angels. Astros are not playing very good right now and close out the season on a 7 game road trip. We haven't played well against the Angels at all this season and we close out the season with a 4 game series.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ole Suck-ass has quietly gotten to 17 wins.

Rev

Staff member
Of course it's quiet when you've had an era around 4.5 all year.
Still probably 4 better than what you thought it was going to be. It's playoff time so it will be in the 2's.

Ok hyperbole aside he did benefit from an offense that scored for him. However if you take his road starts I bet that ERA is better. Flyball pitchers don't do well in Arlington.

It is better but not by as much as it was in the past. Still happy with Colby.

Last edited:

Rev

Staff member
If there's a three-way tie (Rangers, Astros, Twins)

Where they'd play: Uh-oh. Now we're into a whole different realm of messiness, because here we'd have three teams in a tie for two spots (AL West and wild card) instead of one. So the Astros and Rangers would play a tiebreaker game in Arlington the day after the season to decide the AL West. Then the loser would play the Twins in Minnesota the following day to decide the final wild-card spot.

Why they'd play there: The Rangers have whomped on the Astros so far in the season series, 12-4. So the good news for the Astros is that if they sweep the three-game series against the Rangers this weekend in Houston, they'd make the Rangers' three-game lead in the division disappear. The bad news is, the Rangers would still win the season series, so they'd host a tiebreaker game. And why would the Twins host the game the next day, even though they split their season series with both of those teams? Better record within their division, of course. (See above if your head just exploded.)

Potential travel madness: The Astros would win the all-time travel-nightmare trophy if it plays out this way: Sunday in Phoenix, Monday in Arlington, Tuesday in Minneapolis, Wednesday in New York, Thursday in Toronto or Kansas City. Yep, they could play five games in five days in five different cities, three time zones and maybe even two countries. And that's their reward for winning.

If there's a four-way tie (Rangers, Astros, Twins, Angels)

Where they'd play: Please. We beg you. Don't ask. If the Rangers, Astros, Twins and Angels all finish with the same record, we'd have a three-team tie in the AL West, plus a wild-card spot up for grabs. So don't hold us to this, but most likely, the Angels would host the Astros, and the Rangers would host the Twins the day after the regular season ended. If the Twins win, they automatically become the wild-card team and the winner of Angels-Rangers wins the division. But if the Twins lose and there are still two AL West teams alive, they would play yet another tiebreaker game the following day. The winner is division champ. The loser is the wild card. Make sense? Um, don't answer that!

Why they'd play there: Have we mentioned this is complicated? These teams aren't even through playing each other, so all of this could change. But as of right now, the Angels would own the best head-to-head record, so they would get to choose where they would play their division tiebreaker game. Good bet they'd opt to play at home. The Rangers would choose second. Then the Astros. Then the Twins.

We can only guess that the Rangers would also want to play at home, because they'd have no way of knowing if they'd also have to play the next day. If there's an Angels-Rangers game that Tuesday, they would play that one in Orange County, because the Angels have clinched that season series. If it's Astros-Rangers, that game is in Texas for the same reason. Everybody on board with this? Ehhhh, again, don't answer that!

Potential travel madness: You know that Astros road trip from hell we outlined above? This is their alternate version. Their potential schedule under this scenario: Sunday in Phoenix, Monday in Anaheim, Tuesday in Texas, Wednesday in New York, Thursday in Kansas City or Toronto. There might be astronauts who haven't flown that many hours.

http://espn.go.com/blog/jayson-stark...aker-scenarios

:lol @ the travel scenarios for Houston.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
All jokes aside.....I don't know if I've ever seen the the kind of overwhelming ownage in sports like I've seen with the Rangers over the Astros this season.

If you called the Astros the Rangers bitch, that would still be putting it lightly.

This is just unreal.

Top Bottom