The Maturation of Romo MMQB- Peter King

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Hotlinking sonofabitch, I swear...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Cris Collinsworth said exactly what I was thinking as the Cowboys exulted after their second Tony Romo-led touchdown drive in the last six minutes beat the Giants on Sunday night in Texas. “Tony Romo’s taken a lot of heat over the years for not playing in the clutch,” Collinsworth told America on NBC. “That was pretty darn strong.”

The next test for Romo and the Cowboys comes Sunday in Philadelphia. But last Sunday, there were two plays—one on each 70-plus-yard touchdown drive—that showed the maturation of Romo, and why the Cowboys, even without Dez Bryant for probably half the season now, are such a dangerous team.

First, to Collinsworth’s point about Romo. In 2012, Romo had games with five, four, three and two interceptions, and Dallas lost them all on the way to a disappointing 8-8 season. He was a great stat quarterback, but also too careless, and he knew it. Check out how his 2012 season compares to two years and a game since, including two 2014 playoff games:

YearW-LTDINT
20128-82819
2013-1522-117221

The answer to his newfound productive efficiency, can be found, first, in his smart phone.

Yes, Romo’s phone. In training camp this summer, I sat with him for an hour after practice one day. Romo started the conversation—well, after riffing on Bruce Springsteen, who was playing in the background of the interview; a couple of times Romo just stopped in the conversation and sang a lyric—by showing me still photos of the throwing motions of 10 or so quarterbacks. Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Blake Bortles, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco … he studies them, analyzing the hand motion as the ball leaves the fingertips, which he feels is crucial to accuracy and a strong throw. Romo has become a technician of The Throw.

He thinks so many different things are important to quarterbacking proficiency, aside from three obvious ones: accuracy, quick but self-assured decision-making and a strong arm. It’s not just the cliché things, either, like chemistry with receivers, understanding the route progression on every throw or knowing the defensive players’ tendencies on a given route.

“One thing that used to hurt me that I’ve really worked on,” he said, “is not having reactionary throws anymore. So if things are moving too fast and you can’t see people and can’t get it to an open guy, you get the ball to the ground. Just throw at people’s feet. You see if I miss someone, a lot of times I did it on purpose just because I’m being safe with the throw because I’m under duress. Instead of forcing it, now my reactionary throw is to get rid of the ball and move on to the next play. I understand that we are explosive enough to come back on second-and-15, or second-and-10.

“I progress through a lot of people really quickly. If there is one thing that I was given a gift with, it’s spatial awareness and the ability to process information very fast. So what I have to do then, because I go through it so quickly, is to play slower. I need to get my feet back, get set, be in a stationary position and understand what I like to refer to as a balanced pocket and from there I can get through a lot of stuff with very quiet feet to minimize turnovers.”

Spatial awareness is a newfangled term common to soccer that I’ve heard a few NFL folks use—Jacksonville, for instance, stresses it with Bortles. As defenses try to hide coverages more and more, quarterbacks have to be able to pick out coverage tendencies quickly as they process the progression after the snap of the ball on a pass play. “If you understand spatial awareness,” Romo said, “you process the coverage and leverage of the defenders and you do it all in one second.

“People talk about potential for quarterbacks, and it is one of the most overrated comments. To me, when I look at a young quarterback and a GM asks me, ‘What do you think about his potential?’ I can’t answer until I see how fast he can get through progressions. And when I say that, I mean I need to see if he understands spatial awareness and his ability to go from his third to fourth to fifth even possible guy—and how fast and long that takes him when he doesn’t know the coverage. You can teach someone footwork and teach them how to throw a football but it is very difficult to teach someone how to see things quicker. That’s what separates the quarterbacks who are at the highest level.”

Romo for an instant looked to the middle but Terrance Williams wasn’t there yet—and then fired a quick eight-yard out to Cole Beasley at the left sideline. Gain of seven. Clock stopped. Three plays later, Romo hit Witten for the first of two touchdowns Dallas needed.

Next drive: Thirteen seconds left. Giants up 26-20. Third-and-two from the Giants’ 11-yard line. From the shotgun, with back Lance Dunbar to his right for protection, Romo prepared to snap. But with 16 seconds left on the play clock, he went to the line and screamed out “TACOMA!! TACOMA!!”

Then some hand motions. Fourteen seconds left.

Now we get to the fourth quarter Sunday night in Arlington. Giants 23, Cowboys 13. Two plays made all the difference for Romo. Start with the principle that there was no time to waste for Romo, needing two touchdowns (as it turned out) in the final eight minutes, and having to drive more than 70 yards twice, and knowing the Giants would have a clock-bleeding possession in the middle of Dallas’ two possessions.

On the third play of the first drive, Romo saw a jittery-looking, clue-giving right cornerback, Trumaine McBride, creeping in a couple of steps from his normal position. “As he was about to call for the snap, Romo stepped from the shotgun toward the line.

“BLACK MUSTANG!!” Romo called. Obviously a change in the protection. Now Jason Witten, flanked left, moved into the gap between the left tackle and guard at the snap, and here came McBride, steaming in on a blitz. He would have been unblocked. And then what? A sack, and more time off the clock? A forced fumble? A wasted throwaway by Romo?

“He had a lot to think about there,” Witten said Thursday from Texas. “It looked like they were going to blitz, but they were disguising it, and Tony saw it. There were five, six, seven of those kinds of plays in the last two drives Tony made, when he has a lot to think about and processes it quickly and makes a quick decision. It seemed like every decision he made there at the end was the right one.”

Then calling out “47,” noting the number of the Giants’ middle ‘backer, Uani ‘Unga. Eight seconds left.

Then more hand motions. Six seconds left.

Then a few words to Dunbar. Four seconds left.

“Get us on the line,” Witten said. “Examine the coverage, examine the protection, change the protection, then see what the middle linebacker is going to do in coverage. We were going to read 47 and how he played it, and if not me, we had Cole in the slot, and we thought that might be open too.”Then the snap. One second left.

The snap went off his left arm and fell to the ground.

In all this time, no sudden movements, no evidence of panic or wasted motion. Romo picked up the ball, looked at Witten breaking free from Robert Ayers at the line, and then looked at ‘Unga allowing Witten to stay in front of him down the field. Well, if the middle linebacker was going to let Witten stay in front of him, and no Giant was going to get in the path of the throw from quarterback to Pro Bowl tight end, well, that’s a gift Romo’s going to take. He thought he might see it, he did, and he had enough time with the protection scheme he called for it to work. Touchdown. Dallas 27, Giants 26.

On the final two Dallas drives, Romo was 11 of 12 for 148 yards and two touchdowns.

Moral of the story: Romo could have agreed with all those who said he was doomed to be a failure in the clutch, or he could have worked to make his decision-making much better all through the game, and particularly in the crucial parts of the game. On these last two drives, he made one poor throw, leading Beasley too far two snaps before the winning touchdown to Witten. The key thing was, no Giant had a chance to pick it off.

“Some might call what’s happened to Tony a great leap,” Witten said. “He was willing to put in the work to go to a place not many players can get to. He worked for greatness. It’s not easy here. There’s so much to live up to, especially at that position. Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Hall of Fame quarterbacks. But Tony had some adversity, and he worked, and now, every snap, we trust he’ll get us into position to make a great play.”

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo has improved over the years, sure. But the "choker" narrative was always wrong.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Romo has improved over the years, sure. But the "choker" narrative was always wrong.

Can't help but think how much quicker he may have evolved if they kept him a decent enough OL throughout his career.

He was asked to do a lot and took the blame when it fell apart...he owned it and earned it IMO, but I admit that he is finally looking like one of the prime QBs in the league right now.

I wonder how much Wade Wilson played into his turnaround.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
This is a cool picture from the article:

dallen

Senior Tech
BTW, that --^ is hotlinking

townsend

Banned
Can't help but think how much quicker he may have evolved if they kept him a decent enough OL throughout his career.

He was asked to do a lot and took the blame when it fell apart...he owned it and earned it IMO, but I admit that he is finally looking like one of the prime QBs in the league right now.

I wonder how much Wade Wilson played into his turnaround.
defense too. Romo's really only had two strong defenses 2007 and 2009. 2014 was the 3rd best. Who knows how much better he would have looked if he wasn't always trying to win back a lead that the D had given up. I still get angry when I think about that 2011 Giants game That we could've sealed the division in week 14.

dallen

Senior Tech
But remember that time he fumbled that FG against the Seahawks? That proves he is choker and a terrible QB

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think at one time or another we all were ready to run him out of town. Hell, that one int that he lobbed to Murray vs the Skins in the last game of the season...oh lord, so bad. At that point I was ready to move on...which was not that long ago.

Now, I am almost surprised when he makes a mistake. I feel like I did when I watched Aikman...I know he is going to make the right decision.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think at one time or another we all were ready to run him out of town. Hell, that one int that he lobbed to Murray vs the Skins in the last game of the season...oh lord, so bad. At that point I was ready to move on...which was not that long ago.

Now, I am almost surprised when he makes a mistake. I feel like I did when I watched Aikman...I know he is going to make the right decision.
I remember not to long ago giving in to the Romo hate, I had supported him for so long but that day I lost all faith in him. I think I even posted something about it being time to move on. I'm glad we didn't, it sucks that he may only have a few years left, I would love to see him get a ring and put all the haters in hush mode.

townsend

Banned
I seriously thought he was done after 2013. I kept hearing about all his surgeries I thought Brandon Weedon would end up starting and Romo would be on IR a few weeks into the season if he made it to the season at all. I pretty much thought it was the year 2000 again and he was Troy Aikman.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I have been there, venting frustration at him. And it was all justified. But all along, he has always been in need of saving from himself.

He seems to have matured a little, but I still don't think he's capable of being elite to the point where he can just take a team on his back.

I think what we see now is what he needs to be. He's not going to carry a team and shouldn't be asked to because it is not fair. Should be interesting to see how he comes through the next few weeks without Dez Bryant.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I've never wanted to get rid of Romo.

But then again, I'm a better fan than you guys.

Carl

RIP Brother
Liked this article. Would also like it if we had a semblance of a prospect to take over when he is done. Hard to find nowadays. But Romo is an interesting story.

Top Bottom