Draft Weekend Chatter Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deuce

I'm sure someone here has ESPN Insider, right? Maybe it was [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]

Anyhow, if you do, post Kiper's Round 1 winners, top 25 available list and Round 2 mock. He puts links to them on twitter if that's helpful.

Chop chop.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sturm's evaluation was that Martin was a jack of all trades, master of none. Which, if he becomes a Marshall Yanda type, you are probably a little let down.

If becomes Mankins on the inside, or slides out and becomes Runyan on the right side, you are infinitely more pleased.
I'd be higher on his potential at RT then at guard. I think he will be an excellent pass protecting RT and solid run blocker.

At guard I'm still afraid he is going to get pushed around by the 310lb NFL players. What I saw of him on the field the only time he really was blowing people up in the running game was when he was combo blocking with someone else. Maybe I just have high expectations for a first round guard but I expect someone who is more stout. I'd almost sooner just put him out at RT and let Free be a backup.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure someone here has ESPN Insider, right? Maybe it was [MENTION=19]skidadl[/MENTION]

Anyhow, if you do, post Kiper's Round 1 winners, top 25 available list and Round 2 mock. He puts links to them on twitter if that's helpful.

Chop chop.
Winners, questions and Cleveland
Mel Kiper looks at teams that did well, those who didn't, and those Browns

Johnny Manziel, Aaron Donald and Jake Matthews all landed in good spots on Day 1.
It didn't take long for this NFL draft to get interesting. The Jacksonville Jaguars did a good job of concealing their affection for Blake Bortles, and shook things up early. The Cleveland Browns were active, adding picks that will help, but perhaps not adding the player early many of their fans wanted them to take. The Buffalo Bills made a huge move -- and gave up a significant amount -- to slide up five picks and get Sammy Watkins, a wide receiver they clearly believe can help them become a playoff team next season.

And then there was Johnny Football ...

Let's take a look.

More Kiper NFL draft content
Round 1 winners and question marks | Best available on Day 2 | Second-round mock
Liking it

St. Louis Rams

The picks: OT Greg Robinson at No. 2, DT Aaron Donald at No. 13
Summary: I had wide receiver as a need for the Rams, but it's also the deepest position in the draft, and they added two potential Pro Bowl players with their two picks. Robinson needs work as a pass protector, because he's far more dominating as a run-blocker and, as colleague Jon Gruden noted, can grab too often, but he's a freak athlete with a sharp learning curve. He can be very good, and helps Sam Bradford potentially as much as a very good wide receiver. Donald helps make that D-line scary. I mean, think about how dominating Robert Quinn was last year, then factor in Chris Long, and the emerging Michael Brockers. Yikes. I think the secondary could have used a little help, but it actually gets help in the form of more pressure. Donald is bordering on a steal at No. 13.

Atlanta Falcons

The pick: OT Jake Matthews, No. 6
Summary: Nothing sexy about this pick, all it does is immediately help an offensive line that not only desperately needed a right tackle, but could use an eventual solution on the left side. And not only can Matthews play both, he can play them both well. Matt Ryan got pummeled last year, and he's the franchise. Atlanta stayed put and made a move to not only improve their team, but improve their best player.

Green Bay Packers

The pick: S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at No. 21
Summary: Clinton-Dix fills a huge need for this team, and I consider him a great value at this slot. I don't even know what else to say about it, except for the fact that I thought Dallas could go with Clinton-Dix, and he also could have been in play for the Jets. So to have your No. 1 need filled by what I consider the safety they had rated as the best guy to fill that need makes for a pretty good night.

More: I really like the Vikings getting Teddy Bridgewater at the end of Round 1, I just think Anthony Barr was a reach at No. 9. Trading down, and adding an extra pick, can allow you to justify reaching a little. That said, Mike Zimmer has a new pass-rushing piece to work with. ... The Texans got the best player in the draft. That's a good night. ... The Raiders got one of the top players in the draft, Khalil Mack, at No. 5. Also a good night. ... I really like Cincy getting Darqueze Dennard where they did. I thought he'd be off the board at that point. The Bears and Chargers also hit big needs at cornerback with Kyle Fuller and Jason Verrett. ... I'm buying fantasy stock in Brandin Cooks.

Questioning it

Carolina Panthers

The pick: WR Kelvin Benjamin at No. 28
Summary: The Panthers need to find help for Cam Newton, and they got a big pass-catcher in Benjamin, who measures at a full 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds. But he comes with question marks, as he has shown inconsistent hands and really isn't a speed threat. I wonder if a Marqise Lee is a better immediate help. I think my pal Todd McShay might argue that Cody Latimer also could be a better value at that point. Not a big question, really, but a question.

New England Patriots

The picks: DT Dominique Easley at No. 29
Summary: Easley has flashed tremendous ability, and I think New England can ease him into the rotation and limit his snaps to make sure they maximize his value. But we're talking about a significant injury history here, with two ACL repairs before he has played a snap of NFL football. Yes, I can admit it reflexively can feel odd to question the Patriots, who clearly did their homework here. But I just hope Easley stays healthy. I'll say this: If he's 100 percent coming down the stretch next season, that could be a big help.

Jacksonville Jaguars

The pick: QB Blake Bortles at No. 3
Summary: I have few gripes with how the Jags have rebuilt over the past two years under a new regime. I think they've consistently added quality. My question for this pick is whether they drafted a QB they feel can make the team better in 2014. In my perfect scenario, Bortles gets a full year to wait his turn, so in terms of actually making this team better for the coming season, I liked an option such as Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack here. Clearly the Jags felt they couldn't move down and still get Bortles later on -- and they could be right -- but they placed a big bet, and I think they need to show caution.

More: I realize Philly moved down and added some value before they drafted him, but I think Marcus Smith is a reach. That said, they didn't have glaring needs and went with a player they think can help. ... I adore Watkins as a prospect -- he's my No. 2 player in the draft -- but Buffalo sure gave up a lot. Love the player, but that's a major cost. They really need to take a step forward this season and hope that first-rounder isn't too high in 2015. ... I didn't mind the Dee Ford pick to Kansas City as much as I was a little surprised they weren't able to move down. What can't be argued is that when they lost some pass rush because of injuries last season, the defense really suffered.

Cleveland's crazy night

The picks: CB Justin Gilbert at No. 8; QB Johnny Manziel at No. 22; added picks

Summary: Forget about the players they added for a second, and just think about the fact that they again added a major draft haul to move down a handful of spots. During the season Cleveland traded Trent Richardson for a first-rounder, and now they've added a first-rounder for 2015, as well as a fourth-rounder. While doing so, they still managed to hit two big needs. And while they gave up the chance to draft Watkins, they did so in a year where they can get a pass-catcher to complement Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron further down the board, perhaps early in Round 2, with some good ones available. I consider Gilbert a bit of a reach at No. 8 -- I actually expect him to struggle with his transition -- but he does hit a need, and teams feel like they can reach a little after adding that kind of a draft haul (look at Buffalo last year, in fact).

And yes, there's Manziel. Two things: First, he has a chance to succeed here. They have some weapons in place, and they can block for him -- and really, he doesn't have to start immediately. Second, remember that by drafting him where they did, Manziel actually becomes a pretty good value. Cleveland is a winner because of the total value added. It's just how they manage that value, and the considerable noise and expectations that come with Manziel, that will dictate how we view this draft four or five years from now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Second-round mock: Picks I like
Mel Kiper takes a look at picks that would make sense for Round 2

Carlos Hyde is the top running back available in Day 2 of the draft.

In taking a look at the second round, I'm not projecting as much as I simply want to do two things:

1. Reflect the value range I believe players will be taken within. In other words, put second-round picks in a hypothetical second round.
2. Line up picks that make sense for those teams. I'll go a little need-heavy here.

So, although we can call it a mock, it's more about picks that I think make sense. You can be certain that every team with a second-round pick is still engaging in an internal debate about which player to pick. There are no certainties. A couple of things I see off the bat. Obviously, quarterbacks are a big storyline going into Round 2, and I have a few in play.

Take a look, and let me know below which player you'd prefer your team take.

More Kiper NFL draft content
Round 1 winners and question marks | Best available on Day 2 | Second-round mock

33. Houston Texans
Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State

Analysis: I can see Houston passing on him because of the connection to the past, but I don't believe the Texans have to do so if they just want the best QB. This Carr can thrive.

34. Washington Redskins
Joel Bitonio, T, Nevada

Analysis: Bitonio provides versatility and an immediate fix at right tackle and will immediately upgrade Washington's run game.

35. Cleveland Browns
Marqise Lee*, WR, USC

Analysis: He's the No. 22-ranked player on my final Big Board and is a good fit opposite Josh Gordon. This offense now looks full of weapons.

36. Oakland Raiders
Allen Robinson*, WR, Penn State

Analysis: Oakland needs playmakers on the outside, and Robinson provides a big target for Matt Schaub.

37. Atlanta Falcons
Demarcus Lawrence*, DE, Boise State

Analysis: Atlanta got its tackle in Round 1, now it gets Lawrence, who immediately upgrades the pass rush.

38. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Xavier Su'a-Filo*, G, UCLA

Analysis: Tampa Bay could use an upgrade at guard, and Su'a Filo can come in and contribute right away.

39. Jacksonville Jaguars
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt

Analysis: With Justin Blackmon's immediate future in doubt, the Jaguars need a ready-to-play pass-catcher. Matthews provides one.

40. Seattle Seahawks (from MIN)
Stephon Tuitt*, DE, Notre Dame

Analysis: The Seahawks could use some versatility along their defensive line; Tuitt is a great fit here.

41. Buffalo Bills
Morgan Moses, T, Virginia

Analysis: The Bills need help along the offensive line to protect EJ Manuel. Moses can step in at right tackle.

42. Tennessee Titans
Stan Jean-Baptiste, CB, Nebraska

Analysis: After losing Alterraun Verner in free agency, the Titans really need another cornerback.

43. New York Giants
Austin Seferian-Jenkins*, TE, Washington

Analysis: Eli Manning gets WR help in Round 1 and a TE who can cause matchup problems in Round 2. Guard is also an option.

44. St. Louis Rams
Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana

Analysis: Latimer is worth a shot here as another weapon for Sam Bradford. They've already hit the O-line and D-line.

45. Detroit Lions
Lamarcus Joyner, DB, Florida State

Analysis: Detroit is in desperate need of help in the secondary. Joyner's versatility will be a great asset for them.

46. Pittsburgh Steelers
Louis Nix III, DT, Notre Dame

Analysis: He's a good interior D-line fit in Dick LeBeau's system.

47. Dallas Cowboys
Kony Ealy*, DE, Missouri

Analysis: An athletic pass-rusher gives the Cowboys much-needed help along the defensive line.

48. Baltimore Ravens
Davante Adams**, WR, Fresno State

Analysis: They added Steve Smith, but the Ravens could use some size and youth at wide receiver.

49. New York Jets
Bruce Ellington*, WR, South Carolina

Analysis: Ellington isn't much of a drop-off from No. 20 pick Brandin Cooks. Could be a steal here.

50. Miami Dolphins
Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU

Analysis: The Dolphins didn't have C.J. Mosley or Ryan Shazier available in Round 1. Here's a versatile LB in Round 2.

51. Chicago Bears
Terrence Brooks, S, Florida State

Analysis: To find a ready-to-help safety in Round 2 makes it a quick walk to put their card in for the Bears.

52. Arizona Cardinals
Jeremiah Attaochu, OLB, Georgia Tech

Analysis: Adding a pass-rusher with speed is a priority, and Attaochu can provide valuable reps.

53. Green Bay Packers
Chris Borland, ILB, Wisconsin

Analysis: This would be a steal. He's not a physical freak, but Borland is a football freak. Slots in next to A.J. Hawk.

54. Philadelphia Eagles
Jarvis Landry*, WR, LSU

Analysis: They didn't get a receiver in Round 1, and not only will Landry catch it but he's a great blocker, something the coach covets at WR.

55. Cincinnati Bengals
Tom Savage, QB, Pittsburgh

Analysis: Cincinnati gets a big-armed developmental prospect at QB, with Andy Dalton still not locked down long term.

56. San Francisco 49ers (from KC)
Martavis Bryant*, WR, Clemson

Analysis: Big-time physical skills could play well at wide receiver, given what the 49ers have on the roster.

57. San Diego Chargers
Timmy Jernigan*, DT, Florida State

Analysis: He gives the Chargers a versatile defensive lineman with upside, plus help in stopping the run.

58. New Orleans Saints
Marcus Martin*, C, USC

Analysis: He could step in as the immediate starter.

59. Indianapolis Colts
Weston Richburg, C, Colorado State

Analysis: The Colts need help at a couple of spots along the interior of the O-line. Richburg can handle multiple spots.

60. Carolina Panthers
Cyrus Kouandijo*, T, Alabama

Analysis: They got the WR in Round 1, so now make the play for a tackle with a load of potential if he stays healthy.

61. San Francisco 49ers
Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota

Analysis: Defensive line depth was an issue last season as injuries hurt. Justin Smith turns 35 in September, too.

62. New England Patriots
Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

Analysis: I love this fit. The Patriots get a dynamic talent to take more pressure off Tom Brady, and they do have a need here.

63. Denver Broncos
Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama

Analysis: Peyton Manning will love Norwood, who has good size, is an underrated athlete and works hard to get open.

64. Seattle Seahawks
Jace Amaro*, TE, Texas Tech

Analysis: A big target for Russell Wilson, Amaro can be used in the slot and make plays up the seam or to the edges.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Dilfer says Martin was his favorite pick of the 1st round and called him a future Pro Bowler.

D

Deuce

47. Dallas Cowboys
Kony Ealy*, DE, Missouri

Analysis: An athletic pass-rusher gives the Cowboys much-needed help along the defensive line.
Ya, this is pretty much what I was expecting. Not thrilled considering Jernigan and Hageman are both still on the board.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Best picks of the first round
Why Jags, Rams, Cowboys succeeded, plus thoughts on Manziel, more

By Todd McShay | ESPN Insider

The first round of the 2014 NFL draft had its fair share of surprises in addition to some picks that had seemed like possibilities for much of the draft process. Here is my take on the teams that made the best picks in Round 1 plus some other observations from the opening night of the draft.

The Jaguars did a good job of disguising their intentions to take Blake Bortles at No. 3.
Jacksonville Jaguars: UCF QB Blake Bortles at No. 3

The Jaguars might have finally found their answer at quarterback. We didn't have the highest grade on him in the world -- he was our top-ranked quarterback, but we gave him only a mid-to-late first-round grade -- and he would be best-served to sit for a year so that he can acclimate to the NFL and make the necessary improvements to his throwing mechanics. But he'll have the opportunity to do that in Jacksonville this season behind Chad Henne, and he has the potential to develop into a very good NFL quarterback in time. Moreover, the Jaguars did a very good job of keeping their intentions with the No. 3 pick under wraps and were able to stay home and get the guy they wanted all along.

St. Louis Rams: Auburn OT Greg Robinson at No. 2, Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald at No. 13

Forget that the Rams are walking away with two first-round picks instead of most teams' one -- each of these picks is very impressive. Robinson will solidify the line and help this offense flaunt the physically dominant running attack that head coach Jeff Fisher wants. The Rams also made the right move in taking Donald, the best interior pass-rusher in this draft, when he fell into their lap unexpectedly. In my opinion, they got two of the top six players in this class.

Dallas Cowboys: Notre Dame OT Zack Martin at No. 16

Nothing against Johnny Manziel, and I get that Tony Romo is 34 years old and coming off a back injury, but drafting Manziel would have created a nightmare in Dallas. Given the needs at other positions and the potential friction it would have caused in the quarterback room and across the offense, I think the Cowboys would have run the risk of losing the locker room if they had taken Manziel. I also think Martin (the No. 9-ranked player on our board) can step in right away and contribute at right tackle or left guard, and his arrival makes this a really formidable group. The Cowboys have now spent three first-round picks on offensive linemen in the past four years, solidifying an area that was once a major weakness. That's good roster management.

Tennessee Titans: Michigan OT Taylor Lewan at No. 11

It might have been a downer for the Titans to see Bortles get drafted by the Jaguars at No. 3, as I think they were seriously considering taking Bortles at No. 11 had he been available. But it's hard to complain about the result, as they wound up with a potential decadelong starter at left tackle. It's clear that solidifying the offensive line is a priority for new coach Ken Whisenhunt, and Lewan is a great fit for what the Titans will try to do with his mobility and ability to block in space.

Cincinnati Bengals: Michigan State CB Darqueze Dennard at No. 24

Dennard dropped because of durability concerns, but if he holds up I think the Bengals got the best all-around cover corner in the draft. He isn't the fastest or longest corner and he didn't rack up the most interceptions, but he's Velcro in press-man coverage, sticking to receivers with his great instincts, body control and quickness. He'll bring youth and consistency to a position group that needs both.

Other thoughts from Round 1:

• We saw three teams in a row in the top 10 get a player they were probably worried might not be available to them: the Raiders landing Khalil Mack at No. 5, the Falcons landing Jake Matthews at No. 6 and the Buccaneers landing Mike Evans at No. 7.

• Anthony Barr is long and fast and was very productive at UCLA, but to me, taking him at No. 9, as the Vikings did, was too rich. He is a developmental prospect as an edge-rusher.

[+] EnlargeOdell Beckham Jr
Elsa/Getty Images
Odell Beckham Jr. will provide Eli Manning with a very good weapon in the passing game.
• We had the Bears going with a safety in our final mock draft, but I really like the pick of Virginia Tech cornerback Kyle Fuller. He provides the Chicago defensive backfield with depth and youth, and he's just a really good football player with his tackling ability, instincts and outstanding ball skills.

• The Giants could have taken OT Zack Martin at No. 12 and I wouldn't have had a problem with it. But QB Eli Manning is a distributor, and he can't be successful without pass-catching weapons for him to distribute to. Odell Beckham Jr. has a chance to come in and establish himself as the team's No. 2 target this season, and he could be a weapon in the return game as well.

• The Lions have gone 16 straight drafts without selecting a cornerback in the first round, and they need to be better at that position next season, but it's hard to find fault with their pick at No. 10. They got a difference-maker in North Carolina TE Eric Ebron.

• I've learned over the years of doing this that sometimes the best picks are the ones that make the least sense on draft night, but I personally did not see Marcus Smith as a first-rounder. (For perspective, he was the 80th-ranked player on our board.) To the Eagles' credit, they moved back to No. 26 and got extra compensation, and he is a good system fit with high upside. But Smith brings some concerns, including his poor change-of-direction skills and stiffness in his movements.

• WR Kelvin Benjamin to the Panthers at No. 28 is a boom-or-bust pick. Their thinking makes sense -- QB Cam Newton can extend plays and has a strong arm, both qualities that create one-on-one downfield opportunities for a receiver who lacks the speed and quickness to consistently separate but is very good in jump-ball situations. That's Benjamin, a potential matchup nightmare at 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, and so long as he can convert one or more of every four deep vertical targets into a reception or drawn pass-interference call, the Panthers will probably be pretty happy with him. But given their weakness at receiver, they'll really need to lean on Benjamin and have him grow up fast (and overcome his speed deficiencies).

• Another boom-or-bust pick is Bradley Roby to the Broncos at No. 31. He has a lot to learn both on and off the field to be a successful pro, but he has all the physical tools to make him worth the risk, especially with the sheriff Peyton Manning presiding over the locker room.

• The way the Browns got Johnny Manziel, at No. 22 overall, takes some pressure off both him and the team. By first getting the cornerback their defensive coaching staff really wanted in Justin Gilbert (who will be freed up to play to his strengths as a ball hawk) and adding a 2015 first-round pick in the process, they've created the ideal situation for Manziel to step into. It may seem subtle, but it's good organizationally. He's also a great fit for Kyle Shanahan's offensive scheme. It's also important that if Manziel ends up with the starting job, he has a very good backup in Brian Hoyer who can step in if Manziel's playing style and smaller frame lead to his missing time due to injury. Bottom line: Browns fans finally have something to legitimately get excited about in Manziel. (The team has had 20 different starting quarterbacks since rejoining the NFL in 1999, most in the league.) And they were able to bring him in using sound draft strategy and by minimizing their risk in the event he doesn't pan out.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sturm's evaluation was that Martin was a jack of all trades, master of none. Which, if he becomes a Marshall Yanda type, you are probably a little let down.

If becomes Mankins on the inside, or slides out and becomes Runyan on the right side, you are infinitely more pleased.
Yeah it is a real let down to have a Pro Bowl OG.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member

Chop chop.
I had it a while ago. No longer, my friend.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Gil Brandt said yesterday this draft is loaded with quality RB's late. Like the 5th, 6th and 7th round. He said there will even be some guys that stick that are UDFA.

Who do you guys like at RB late? I think we should grab one.

cmd34

Brand New Member
Jeremy Hill is rumored to be on our list. We supposedly also like Jerick McKinnon, who played with J.J. Wilcox at Georgia State. James Wilder Jr seems like a solid Day 3 pick.

He'll go higher than I'd like to draft a RB but I really like Bishop Sankey.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jeremy Hill is rumored to be on our list. We supposedly also like Jerick McKinnon, who played with J.J. Wilcox at Georgia State. James Wilder Jr seems like a solid Day 3 pick.

He'll go higher than I'd like to draft a RB but I really like Bishop Sankey.
James Wilder will be lucky if he gets drafted.

D

Deuce

Gil Brandt said yesterday this draft is loaded with quality RB's late. Like the 5th, 6th and 7th round. He said there will even be some guys that stick that are UDFA.

Who do you guys like at RB late? I think we should grab one.
Guys i like tomorrow are Andre Williams, Storm Johnson and Lache Seastrunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom