BBQ Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION]

Your thoughts on this combo charcoal/smoker? Or are there better ones for that ~$150 range
Not a bad little smoker grill, but the issue is that firebox isn't very big, so tending it will mean not being able to do much of anything else but stand over it waiting to feed it charcoal. You can add a little bit of money and still get a Charbroil cooker (a good brand) and gain quite a bit of firebox and grate space. Something like this.

data

Forbes #1
Props. I'm debating on a smoker/charcoal combo or just a straight-up round Weber charcoal grill

Cotton

Staff member
Props. I'm debating on a smoker/charcoal combo or just a straight-up round Weber charcoal grill
The combos are much better if you ever plan on smoking anything. Don't end up like me with 3 cookers on your back porch.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The combos are much better if you ever plan on smoking anything. Don't end up like me with 3 cookers on your back porch.
I have a gas grill, 2 charcoal grills, a small little green egg, and an electric smoker.

:unsure

Cotton

Staff member
I have a gas grill, 2 charcoal grills, a small little green egg, and an electric smoker.

I just have a horizontal smoker, a grill that was built from a hot water heater, and an electric smoker.

hstour

Brand New Member
Not a bad little smoker grill, but the issue is that firebox isn't very big, so tending it will mean not being able to do much of anything else but stand over it waiting to feed it charcoal. You can add a little bit of money and still get a Charbroil cooker (a good brand) and gain quite a bit of firebox and grate space. Something like this.
I hate the round one's for grilling. The fire source tends to be toward the middle and far down from the grates. I don't get the control needed to grill well.

That's what I like about the Master forge ones I linked. Lots of heat control with being able to move the fire grates up and down.

Since smoking is low and slow anyway, a small fire and some properly placed foil will allow you to cook indirect easily.

If the 2nd one has a removable firebox separator like this:

Firebox.jpg

Then I don't need the foil.

Attachments

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The round Weber is all you need.

I will teach you.

Cotton

Staff member
The round Weber is all you need.

I will teach you.
Okay you teach Phil, and I will mentor Smitty. Indirect heat powers activate!

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
But with a round one there is no where to set plates..... your comments please.
As a rule, I do not place plates on my grill.

Next question....yes, you in the back!

Cotton

Staff member
As a rule, I do not place plates on my grill.

Next question....yes, you in the back!
Yes, thank you for taking my question. As a rule, what temp do you use when smoking a chicken?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Yes, thank you for taking my question. As a rule, what temp do you use when smoking a chicken?
I was calling on the pretty blonde behind you.

But to answer your question, I like to smoke chicken with apple or hickory at a temp of at least 200 but no more than 225.

Cotton

Staff member
I was calling on the pretty blonde behind you.

But to answer your question, I like to smoke chicken with apple or hickory at a temp of at least 200 but no more than 225.
Thank you for answering my question and shattering my self-esteem all at the same time! ~throws down mic and runs out~

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Almost forgot to post...

The smoked lobster turned out great. Smoker temp of 225 for a little over 2 hrs, until internal temp was 140. Split the top of the shells and separated the meat from the shells, then halfway thru smoke time, put about a TBS of spiced butter on the meat. Wood skewer thru the lobster so it wouldn't curl while cooking. I used apple wood for smoke. I was really nervous smoking the lobster. The only mistake I made was I should have had my smoker a lot hotter when I initially put them in. In hindsight, I tried to make too many at once, and it really drained the heat, and took a while to get back up where it needed to be, even though they were room temp at the time. I was getting really worried for a while.

Boiled the king crab, then put in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to crisp the shell and help separate the meat.

Grilled the 1 1/2" T-bones to medium rare.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Almost forgot to post...

The smoked lobster turned out great. Smoker temp of 225 for a little over 2 hrs, until internal temp was 140. Split the top of the shells and separated the meat from the shells, then halfway thru smoke time, put about a TBS of spiced butter on the meat. Wood skewer thru the lobster so it wouldn't curl while cooking. I used apple wood for smoke. I was really nervous smoking the lobster. The only mistake I made was I should have had my smoker a lot hotter when I initially put them in. In hindsight, I tried to make too many at once, and it really drained the heat, and took a while to get back up where it needed to be, even though they were room temp at the time. I was getting really worried for a while.

Boiled the king crab, then put in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes to crisp the shell and help separate the meat.

Grilled the 1 1/2" T-bones to medium rare.

They look delicious NoDak, will have to try this now

Cotton

Staff member
Could you have possibly taken a more blurry picture?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
So my girlfriend went out and bought me a charcoal grill. From like a thrift store. Because she knew I wanted one.

It was like $23.

She's funny. But I guess now I have to use it.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
My wife tried to get me to use a propane grill she got for free. Its still unused on the patio. They are funny getting us grills but I guess the same could be said about us when they send us to the store for their stuff....

Cotton

Staff member
I took it last minute with a shitty phone camera.

So basically, GFY.
Just giving you shit. So, did the smoke flavor translate to the lobster meat well?

Top Bottom