JJT: Marinelli should be Cowboys' DC

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Marinelli should be Cowboys' DC
Team's best move is to quell Tampa talk and promote valuable defensive coach
Updated: January 2, 2014, 10:37 PM ET
By Jean-Jacques Taylor | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Rod Marinelli is a terrific defensive line coach, and he proved it again this season by working miracles with an injury-ravaged unit that used 20 different defensive linemen this season.

On several occasions, the Dallas Cowboys signed a defensive lineman seemingly off the streets on a Tuesday, and he played meaningful snaps five days later, a testament to Marinelli.

By all accounts, the Vietnam veteran is a good man.

One of his closest friends, Lovie Smith, has been named head coach in Tampa Bay. The men worked together as assistants in Tampa Bay and Marinelli worked for Smith, when he was Chicago's head coach.

No one is surprised Smith reportedly wants Marinelli to join him in Tampa.

Too bad. This isn't personal; it's business.

Marinelli is under contract with the Cowboys, and they'd have to be the dumbest organization in all of professional sports to let Marinelli leave just so he can work with his buddy.

The Cowboys should make Marinelli their defensive coordinator, though there have been some whispers at the club's Valley Ranch training complex that he prefers to work with the defensive line instead of developing a weekly game plan.

There's a chance Marinelli might be upset because he can't join Smith, but as mama used to say, "Into every life a little rain must fall."

Besides, Marinelli is reportedly being paid a little more than $1 million, and there's no indication he would give less than his absolute best just because the Cowboys denied a request to join his friend.

Remember, former special teams coach Joe DiCamillis wasn't thrilled last season when the Cowboys denied Oakland permission to talk to him before the season. Neither was Tony Sparano when the Cowboys wouldn't let him go to New Orleans when the Saints hired Sean Payton in 2006.

The business part didn't affect either man's passion for his job.

Understand, Marinelli is the best candidate to replace Monte Kiffin as coordinator -- no way the Cowboys bring him back, right? -- but if the Cowboys opt to let him leave, plenty of quality candidates exist.

Former head coaches Leslie Frazier (Minnesota) and Jim Schwartz (Detroit) were fired this week and have excelled as defensive coordinators in the 4-3 scheme.

Tampa Bay has fired Greg Schiano, which means former Cowboys defensive coordinator Dave Wannstedt should be free. So should former Cowboys defensive back Ray Horton after Cleveland coach Rob Chudzinski was been fired. Washington's Rahim Morris should also be available after coach Mike Shanahan was been fired.

Whether he's the defensive coordinator or the defensive line coach, if the Cowboys let Marinelli leave, he's too valuable to go without the Cowboys getting some type of compensation. More important, Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett must have a replacement who either has agreed to terms or signed a contract before they even consider a staff without Marinelli.

If Tampa Bay wants to give the Cowboys a fourth-round draft pick for Marinelli, then fine. But the best move for the Cowboys is to persuade Marinelli to become the coordinator.

That's because he made a tangible impact on the Cowboys' defense, which forced 28 turnovers this season.

We know the Cowboys' defense was awful overall, but the unit played with a relentless effort all season. By the middle of October, it was common to see a defensive lineman rush the passer, turn and sprint 30 yards and get in on a tackle.

Jeff Heath's fumble return against the New York Giants in November was a perfect illustration of what Marinelli brought to the Cowboys' defense.

New York receiver Victor Cruz caught a short pass along the sideline, and cornerback Orlando Scandrick stopped him and started tugging at the ball. Linebacker Kyle Wilber sprinted over and hit Cruz. Then Heath ran to the ball. He arrived just as Scrandrick ripped the ball from the receiver's arms.

Heath snatched it out of the air and returned it 50 yards for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead in the Cowboys' 24-21 victory. The play occurred because Marinelli had demanded players attack the ball every play since offseason workouts began.

Critics would argue the Cowboys had one of the worst defenses in NFL history with Marinelli on the staff, so can he truly be that valuable?

Yes.

Don't forget, when Marinelli took this job, he figured Anthony Spencer and DeMarcus Ware would be his starting defensive ends, Jason Hatcher and Jay Ratliff would be his defensive tackles, and Tyrone Crawford would be his top reserve at both end spots.

Spencer (knee), Ratliff (groin) and Crawford (Achilles) never played a down for the Cowboys this season, and Ware played the last half of the season with a groin injury that made him just a guy.

Marinelli squeezed everything he could out of the collection of spare parts he worked with much of the season. It's a testament to Marinelli's ability as a teacher and a coach.

It's why he should replace Kiffin as defensive coordinator.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
how can you not agree when George Selvie and Everette Brown revamped their careers. I mean, we played with the crappiest defensive line we've had in over 20 years

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
So now Ware had a groin injury?

Oh great....look for the Jer to re-up his contract.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
how can you not agree when George Selvie and Everette Brown revamped their careers. I mean, we played with the crappiest defensive line we've had in over 20 years

Because by all accounts Marinelli was already essentially co-defensive coordinator and yet we were as bad as it gets.

Genghis Khan

Oh great....look for the Jer to re-up his contract.

I think it was fairly obvious he was playing nowhere close to hundred percent for most of the season. The drop off in his performance after about the first month of the season was staggering.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Because by all accounts Marinelli was already essentially co-defensive coordinator and yet we were as bad as it gets.
He was a very good coordinator just year before last, not 2002 like Kiffin. So he was good in Chicago and he suddenly sucks? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

He was a very good coordinator just year before last, not 2002 like Kiffin. So he was good in Chicago and he suddenly sucks? That doesn't make sense.

I'm not saying he sucks, just saying he's not the magician people seem to credit him for. People seem to want to blame Kiffin for everything that is wrong with this defense, and that's fair. Just don't forget to include Marinelli, who by all accounts was more than just a position coach; if that's the case he gets a strong share of the blame for what went wrong. And Marinelli's unit was the worst on the defense. Yes, it was decimated by injuries, but so were the linebackers, and the defensive backs had a few injuries as well. Of all the reclamation projects Marinelli supposedly conjured up, only one was of any real value - Selvie - and a lot of that may just be that Selvie is better than people realized.

I just think we need to reel in the Marinelli love feast. He's a good coordinator but if I had my druthers I'd wipe the slate clean and start over from scratch.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Didn't Everette Brown fail to record a single tackle? He had that one good game where he had a sack and a pressure, not really revamping his career.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying he sucks, just saying he's not the magician people seem to credit him for. People seem to want to blame Kiffin for everything that is wrong with this defense, and that's fair. Just don't forget to include Marinelli, who by all accounts was more than just a position coach; if that's the case he gets a strong share of the blame for what went wrong. And Marinelli's unit was the worst on the defense. Yes, it was decimated by injuries, but so were the linebackers, and the defensive backs had a few injuries as well. Of all the reclamation projects Marinelli supposedly conjured up, only one was of any real value - Selvie - and a lot of that may just be that Selvie is better than people realized.

I just think we need to reel in the Marinelli love feast. He's a good coordinator but if I had my druthers I'd wipe the slate clean and start over from scratch.
Agreed on the "he's not a magician" bit.

And the Tampa 2 has left a ridiculously bad taste in my mouth so I'd probably scrap it and return to something more like what the 49ers run, or at least more of a modified version like the Seahawks.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Seems to happen a lot once the season ends. We start hearing about these mysterious injuries for the first time so we can go ahead and excuse their lack of production.

Top Bottom